• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favourite Writers

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • A simple topic question so not much to say here, haha. Who are your favourite writers, of either fics or published books (or otherwise, e.g. bloggers)?

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
  • Oh man...that's a toughie.
    I guess off the top of my head. In no particular order.
    George R.R. Martin - purely out of love for A Song of Fire and Ice
    John Grisham - The Client was one of the first "adult" books I read. (age 8) I will admit that I have to be in certain mood to enjoy a courtroom thriller.
    Stephen King - Come on, whether you're a fan of horror or not Firestarter is a great book. It is 7 kinds of messed up though...
    Hemingway - Pretty cliche right? List of favorite authors includes Hemingway, if you think he doesn't belong on everyone's list then you clearly haven't read For Whom the Bell Tolls or A Farewell to Arms.
    J.K. Rowling - Nerdy dude likes Harry Potter . Shocked I'm sure.
    Henry David Thoreau - I liked Walden. Did a book report over it in 10th grade :)

Others include, Kathy Reichs,Dean Koontz and James Patterson. I've read a few books from these three and enjoyed them they just didn't....I don't know what they didn't do, they just didn't do it.
    I'd be more inclined to read through Patterson's Alex Cross series if there weren't 50+ of the damn things.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
    Years
  • Well, hmm. Aside from GRRM, JKR, and you know, the BASICS for anyone growing up this generation...

I'm a fan of classics, so a lot of older stuff. I take a lot of inspiration from Jack London, at least when it comes to things like description and action scenes.

My favorite fic writers? I gotta go with Arsinoe de Blassenville, iNf3ctioNZ and DelvarO.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Per Nilsson. A Swedish writer. I guess you have to know Swedish in order to appreciate him, but... The way he writes is just so captivating. So down to earth yet dreamy at the same time. There's no one like him. He has inspired me so much. He can turn a simple story about a girl not wanting to go to college into a scary, thrilling tale about life, death and love. He makes magic with words. He has written titles like "A Different Way Of Being Young", "You & You & You" and "Heart's Delight".

I also really adore Cutlerine's writing ;)

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I don't really follow specific authors much, but after reading one of Emma Donoghue's books, I was really impressed. If college didn't make me read so much out of textbooks, I'd probably look into other books she might have written.

Somniac

Probably sleeping.
    Years
  • This really isn't as tough as I had initially thought it would be.

H. P. Lovecraft: Such a great writer, in the detail and methods in which he describes the horrors he writes about.

J. R. R. Tolkien: How can you not admire the man for all that he created? Entire languages, races, lands and more. It's a shame that as a rule only one or two of his works are widely acknowledged.

djgrim

Grim
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2014
    Orson Scott Card. Ender's game changed my life, saw the movie recently too lol

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Orson Scott Card. Ender's game changed my life, saw the movie recently too lol
    Well, hello there! We need to talk more often!

Orson Scott Card is my favorite writer. I know that his writing has quite a few issues to it, but I can't help but love every single one of his works. (Except for Children of the Mind which was the first Card book that made me put it down and stare at the wall, wondering just what he was on when he wrote it.) It's not really that he's much of an inspiration to my own writing, aside from giving me the wonderful character I just love exploring in so many ways. But Card's books are the ones that I look forward to reading, love revisiting (there's always something new each time!), and the characters are those I love spending time with.

Plus, there's the whole "Ender's Game saved my life" thing too.

There's really no one particular author that I seek out to enjoy except for Card. I mean, I could say that I like Margret Weis's work, but she's a coauthor with another writer who I haven't read single work from, so I don't know how much is hers and how much isn't. I only read one book written by Weis alone, and it was great, but that's one. And other than that...

When you dedicate your life to one book series written by one author, you kind of don't read a lot of other things. (And wow that sounds sad.) I've been reading DragonLance though, and there are some authors that I like from that series. Just that none of them I can say are my favorite.

For fanfiction authors, I guess I can say Lord Archive, from the Digimon fandom. His War Diaries series is just fascinating to me. There's a whole world now for authors to play in just because he made one little change from canon, creating this huge AU. It's a shame he keeps disappearing for years, so very few of his fics have ever been finished. Tommy Oliver from the MLP: FiM fandom is another good writer, but I've only read one of his fics. I'm looking forward to his next few projects though.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
    Years
  • Orson Scott Card

I really want to like the guy. I've never read Ender's, but I've heard a lot about it. I refuse to read it or see the movie because of the author and what he's done. It's sad that what is probably a good book is tainted by the morals of the guy who wrote it.

Back