• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: RED RETURNS Rom Base (GBC styled)

Should we implement battle options from newer games (like physical/special split?)

• YES! Absolutely!

Votes: 114 87.0%
  • No, I prefer to keep it oldschool.

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Danno

Formerly Meowth, AKA InnerMobius
Years
8smpLw5.png

HISTORY
Spoiler:

BASICS
POKéMON Red Returns is a Community Made Rom Base that started with Coolboyman's PokeMMO: 8-Bit Edition IPS patch that changed some of the graphics, mainly some tiles into GSC graphics. I'm taking it further to make it a real playable rom base that people can use to create their own GSC styled hacks. My intention is, once the maps are fixed (and they need a lot of work) and all of the scripts are adjusted to fit the GSC version of Kanto, to recreate Johto and flesh it out with Red's story there.

FEATURES

•Maps and tiles from POKéMON GSC's Kanto
•FireRed scripts modified to work with Gen 2 Kanto's Maps
•Original Firered menus (?)
•2nd gen battle sprites, trainer sprites, and a few customs (such as the player backsprite)
•Some late-game goodies near the start of the game
•Both genders (I considered removing the option to keep true to Red but screw it :D)
•Running Shoes immediately from the start

PLANNED FEATURES
•GBC Soundtrack
***Johto***
Custom all-white battle backgrounds

CREDITS
Meowth
Coolboyman/KBMII - 8 Bit Original PokeMMO Patch
Comboy - Pokemon Essentials GS graphics

YOU ARE WELCOME TO HELP!
Whether you're a mapper or a graphics inserter or whatever, the more people who contribute to this, the quicker it shall be done. Remember, this rom base is supposed to be based on RBY with GSC's Kanto in the FireRed engine.

I currently need:
Mappers
Sprite Inserters

You're welcome to offer ideas, too.

RELEASES
None yet.

Last edited:

AtecainCorp.

Rejishan awake...
Years
Finnaly. I found an great project here... Meybe if you want I can help you with this project. Johto is the smallest problem here since you only need simply earse Sevi Isles and replace them with Johto. With some tasks which you notice I can help you like with Blank Battle Backgrounds.

Danno

Years
Johto will be the last thing that will be worked on, because this is intended to be a fully playable standalone rom base before its a new game, but as i said anyone is welcome to help. If you make a patch with the blank battle backgrounds, just keep track of the offsets you used. :)

Danno

Years
oh my nostalgia.

Awesome feeling, isn't it?

Here's a piece from my worksheet showing the original back sprites compared to my new ones.
0P4le.jpg

And the Teachy TV guy became the dude from Route 29 in GSC who also teaches you how to catch Pokemon:
6phEm.jpg

Also, the "Previously on your quest" thing looks very fitting with this graphic style:
GEMAp.jpg

And although it's not inserted yet, here is my current mockup for the titlescreen:
a9Wf5.jpg

original:
Spoiler:

Should this project have the day and night system in the rom base?

Last edited:

AtecainCorp.

Rejishan awake...
Years
Sure. I going to start work on it. When I end it. You will be first guy who's got that patch.

Anyways about DNS. I think that it should work nice when you make it in GSC Style.

Last edited:

curiters

Oblivious - prevents me from being afflicted by in
Years
  • Seen Jan 17, 2017
Awesome feeling, isn't it?

Here's a piece from my worksheet showing the original back sprites compared to my new ones.
0P4le.jpg

And the Teachy TV guy became the dude from Route 29 in GSC who also teaches you how to catch Pokemon:
6phEm.jpg

Also, the "Previously on your quest" thing looks very fitting with this graphic style:
GEMAp.jpg

And although it's not inserted yet, here is my current mockup for the titlescreen:
a9Wf5.jpg

original:
Spoiler:

Should this project have the day and night system in the rom base?

oh my god man such insteresting how my memories flashes back.

Danno

Years
It's actually a lot easier to do these blank battle backgrounds by hex editing, so I don't even need to make custom tilemaps.

yaufy.jpg

EDIT: on second thought, maybe the backgrounds should be light solid colors... I'll probably do that instead.

Last edited:
Years
Amazing! I've actually been working on my own version of this for the past few months! Although I'm basing mine more on Gen I's Kanto since I have some gripes with Gen II's stripped down Kanto (Viridian Forest, Mt. Moon, etc.)

Danno

Years
Amazing! I've actually been working on my own version of this for the past few months! Although I'm basing mine more on Gen I's Kanto since I have some gripes with Gen II's stripped down Kanto (Viridian Forest, Mt. Moon, etc.)

I'm probably basing those areas on RBY, but areas like Cerulean will look closer to GSC.

Years
Where did you find the frames for the water animation? I tried getting them myself via screencapping a Crystal rom, but I put it off because VBA doesn't have a proper frame advance system. Also, have you come across any weird glitches with the cut trees? When I edit the map, one of them with sometimes be moved to someplace where I can't see it. idk if this is because I switch between A-map 1.92 and Map Editor of Happiness.

Danno

Years
Where did you find the frames for the water animation? I tried getting them myself via screencapping a Crystal rom, but I put it off because VBA doesn't have a proper frame advance system. Also, have you come across any weird glitches with the cut trees? When I edit the map, one of them with sometimes be moved to someplace where I can't see it. idk if this is because I switch between A-map 1.92 and Map Editor of Happiness.

I haven't done them yet, as I have a broken laptop screen and someone stole my TV... but I'll be getting to them soon.

I don't know exactly what you mean with the cut trees error, you may have better luck asking in a seperate thread.

Danno

Years
Thanks. I just got a new job, working overnights, and im now living back with my father's house where i dont have wifi... At least i can hook up my laptop to another tv.

As for news with this project: i restarted it with Mr. Dollsteak's base and without KBM's 8-bit patch. The tiles were very messy and repeated unnecessarily, and the maps were just reskinned fr maps with gsc tiles over them. I'm currently working on remapping every map in Kanto in GSC style with a tileset that will be easy for people to use when this is released as a rom base. It's coming along quite well really, and I hope to have screenshots soon.

Years
Thanks. I just got a new job, working overnights, and im now living back with my father's house where i dont have wifi... At least i can hook up my laptop to another tv.

As for news with this project: i restarted it with Mr. Dollsteak's base and without KBM's 8-bit patch. The tiles were very messy and repeated unnecessarily, and the maps were just reskinned fr maps with gsc tiles over them. I'm currently working on remapping every map in Kanto in GSC style with a tileset that will be easy for people to use when this is released as a rom base. It's coming along quite well really, and I hope to have screenshots soon.

Are you gonna be cutting out the Sevii Islands in place of Johto? Also, I have screens of my progressing hack with a similar goal if you wanted. I've done a lot of the maps already and have included is a photo of the tileset which needs work, but I don't think it's too messy.
zOsArrP.png

yjXBxPb.png

R0oUd5h.png

2YaGvRz.png

WiWscKy.png

Although, there is the tree glitch I mentioned earlier which will have to be worked out.
B2NfuFQ.png

I had a lot of the character overworld sprites done in a separate patch, but encountered glitches due to some expanding of some of the 16x16 sprites. I can redo it easily as I have the ones I did in bitmap form for NSE.

If you're not interested in collaborating, I'm not sure if I should make a new thread because you have more credibility than I and it might be seen as redundant.
(fixed to actually show the images)

Last edited:

Danno

Years
Are you gonna be cutting out the Sevii Islands in place of Johto? Also, I have screens of my progressing hack with a similar goal if you wanted. I've done a lot of the maps already and have included is a photo of the tileset which needs work, but I don't think it's too messy.
zOsArrP.png

yjXBxPb.png

R0oUd5h.png

2YaGvRz.png

WiWscKy.png

Although, there is the tree glitch I mentioned earlier which will have to be worked out.
B2NfuFQ.png

I had a lot of the character overworld sprites done in a separate patch, but encountered glitches due to some expanding of some of the 16x16 sprites. I can redo it easily as I have the ones I did in bitmap form for NSE.

If you're not interested in collaborating, I'm not sure if I should make a new thread because you have more credibility than I and it might be seen as redundant.
(fixed to actually show the images)

Very cool, are you remaking the RBY or GSC maps mainly? Aside from the obvious ones (Cinnabar, Viridian Forest, Mt. Moon etc) I'm going with 2nd gen maps, eve n for the interiors of buildings. If you send me a copy of what you have I can try to combine your maps into my tilesets and release it back to you, although really I intended to release a patch anyways once it's playable up to the end of the first gym area for anyone to try their hand at remapping.

Also, for the rom base, i will be keeping the Sevii Islands... But the actual hack, which will come after the rom base is 100%, will have Johto instead. This is because Red Returns is a devamped FR which aims to keep all of the features introduced in FireRed, and when other hackers wish to use the rom base they will have more freedom to do what they would like with the original game just with different maps and sprites.

Back