• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: RED RETURNS Rom Base (GBC styled)

Should we implement battle options from newer games (like physical/special split?)

• YES! Absolutely!

Votes: 114 87.0%
  • No, I prefer to keep it oldschool.

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Years
  • Very cool, are you remaking the RBY or GSC maps mainly? Aside from the obvious ones (Cinnabar, Viridian Forest, Mt. Moon etc) I'm going with 2nd gen maps, eve n for the interiors of buildings. If you send me a copy of what you have I can try to combine your maps into my tilesets and release it back to you, although really I intended to release a patch anyways once it's playable up to the end of the first gym area for anyone to try their hand at remapping.

Also, for the rom base, i will be keeping the Sevii Islands... But the actual hack, which will come after the rom base is 100%, will have Johto instead. This is because Red Returns is a devamped FR which aims to keep all of the features introduced in FireRed, and when other hackers wish to use the rom base they will have more freedom to do what they would like with the original game just with different maps and sprites.

I'm going for RBY maps with GSC sprites. For the overworld at least. For dungeons, I'll be keeping RBY's again, but for indoors like people's houses, Poke Centers, etc. I'm leaning toward GSC. Although, this might change since I haven't worked on any indoors outside Pallet and some Viridian houses.

I'm aiming for my hack to be a definitive Red version, so I'll even remove the Sevii Isles when I release my Rom base.

I'll PM you the patch of my progress so far

Danno

Formerly Meowth, AKA InnerMobius
    Years
  • I'm going for RBY maps with GSC sprites. For the overworld at least. For dungeons, I'll be keeping RBY's again, but for indoors like people's houses, Poke Centers, etc. I'm leaning toward GSC. Although, this might change since I haven't worked on any indoors outside Pallet and some Viridian houses.

I'm aiming for my hack to be a definitive Red version, so I'll even remove the Sevii Isles when I release my Rom base.

I'll PM you the patch of my progress so far

I'm cool with that compromise, though i would like a copy available that does include the Sevii Islands, but this is only page 1 of this thread and that may change later in development. It only makes sense that we should collaborate on this, and that we should accept help from others who wish to do so as well. I've been considering using some RGBY sprites revamped with GSCs sprite colors for some of the pokemon sprites too, so if you have any specifics that you like from the first gen sprites lemme know and I'll revamp them and we can use them in this.

Danno

Formerly Meowth, AKA InnerMobius
    Years
  • So the plan is to make this rom base completely playable through the end and hackers can tweak it to their likings?

Precisely. It'll be a rom base that anyone can use to work on their own hacks, but also a fully playable game. My personal intention is to make Johto after Kanto to continue Red's journey

Years
  • I'm cool with that compromise, though i would like a copy available that does include the Sevii Islands, but this is only page 1 of this thread and that may change later in development. It only makes sense that we should collaborate on this, and that we should accept help from others who wish to do so as well. I've been considering using some RGBY sprites revamped with GSCs sprite colors for some of the pokemon sprites too, so if you have any specifics that you like from the first gen sprites lemme know and I'll revamp them and we can use them in this.

Oh nice! I actually finished putting in the front sprites of all gen 1 mons using their Crystal sprites. I plan on doing a separate patch that keeps in the gen 3 backsprites because they're all based on gen 2's anyway and there's stuff like Charizard's wing being cut off in the old ones.

Ruvaldak

I'M NOT YELLING, I'M JUST PUTTING MAJOR EMPHASIS O
    Years
  • I'm excited to see this finished. Have you worked on things like back spirits for Pokemon, and battle effects?

Back