• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: New Pokémon Sun and Moon Anime trailer

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
Years
The new art style is doing the actual animation itself a world of good. I think this'll be great.

Years
the only bad thing about this is Ash. Like seriously come on. The artists for X,Y and Z have all passed to Generations. This is like the first time that I look soo down upon a Pokemon animation. It was going up in greatness and then it like suddenly dropped, the bubble popped.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
I agree, the way Ash looks here is the only thing ruining this trailer. It's pretty insignificant but I just can't stand the change.

Years
I saw bits of the trailer, and while some of the new Pokemon look good, Ash unfortunately doesn't. It's like the XY art team got replaced by a new art team entirely and they have surely proven their amateur art style is making this series already ugly to look at.

Sun & Moon will need to do a lot if I want any chance of considering to watch it, since this generation is already proving to be the "new" 5th Gen due to me loving the games but hating the anime for the respective region saga.

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Apr 23, 2017
I think the new anime style is easier to be recognized in similarity to styles in animes for children. It is almost storybook style. They need to connect with a new generation. As long as there is plenty of Litten and not making Ash be an annoyiong adolescent in school like Naruto.. It could become good

Years
I think the new anime style is easier to be recognized in similarity to styles in animes for children. It is almost storybook style. They need to connect with a new generation. As long as there is plenty of Litten and not making Ash be an annoyiong adolescent in school like Naruto.. It could become good

Yeah that's one thing maybe because XY and Z had like a serious tone they wanted to make it more child friendly again but that is just too much. Ash looks like turned 8 or less than that.

Years
Yeah that's one thing maybe because XY and Z had like a serious tone they wanted to make it more child friendly again but that is just too much. Ash looks like turned 8 or less than that.

I also feel the new art style heavily resembles Yo-Kai Watch, a series that is known for being Pokemon's main threat in Japan and has probably been inspiring some stuff we've seen for Sun & Moon, both game and anime-wise. Ash going to a school setting is a notable shoutout to how Yo-Kai Watch's protagonist Nate is in school as well.

Pokedex Rotom also has inspiration from Whisper, who is Nate's companion and serves a guide role with him like what Pokedex Rotom seems to be shown to do. Even the Z-Move animation sequences are similar to when the Yo-Kai use their unique attacks in the Yo-Kai Watch games.

Years
I also feel the new art style heavily resembles Yo-Kai Watch, a series that is known for being Pokemon's main threat in Japan and has probably been inspiring some stuff we've seen for Sun & Moon, both game and anime-wise. Ash going to a school setting is a notable shoutout to how Yo-Kai Watch's protagonist Nate is in school as well.

Pokedex Rotom also has inspiration from Whisper, who is Nate's companion and serves a guide role with him like what Pokedex Rotom seems to be shown to do. Even the Z-Move animation sequences are similar to when the Yo-Kai use their unique attacks in the Yo-Kai Watch games.

Yeah it really looks like they are scared that a new anime that has like 3-2 years is being a threat to them. Like do they think that because that is so loved now that it would look cool in their Pokemon anime.... >.<

クリスタル

The Pokemon Observer
Years
Does anyone noticed, that the new trailer and information we get so far from the new SM series, there are almost close to none mentioning and showing of the main feature of Pokemon series: BATTLE?

Only the very first 30s trailer we get at the end of TF arc climax battle episode, where there shown Pikachu using Quick Attack or some other attack, and the scene of Ash using Z-ring and order Pikachu using Z-move. But other than these two scenes, there were absolutely no mentioning about possible battles and challenges in the upcoming saga, all it focused was the daily life between Alolan natives and pokemons, there was absolutely no tension nor excitement, just a carefree and relaxing atmosphere.
If you can search back the trailers of the past series, they were never being that heavy on the non-battle aspect of the Pokemon World.

I understand that Pokemon Anime trying to go to a complete different direction in SM saga, but still I have doubt will I like this series or not. Because firstly in the past I always watch Pokemon Anime for the cool actions within many important events, I didn't watch it for daily life slapstick comedy. Secondly I didn't like time wasting fillers, so if the whole SM series have that pointless "filler" feelings for the entire series, I'm out.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I saw bits of the trailer, and while some of the new Pokemon look good, Ash unfortunately doesn't. It's like the XY art team got replaced by a new art team entirely and they have surely proven their amateur art style is making this series already ugly to look at.

Sun & Moon will need to do a lot if I want any chance of considering to watch it, since this generation is already proving to be the "new" 5th Gen due to me loving the games but hating the anime for the respective region saga.

I don't think it's amateur. It's just a different style. Like how Wind Waker looks very simple but is actually very complex.

Remember, this is actually for kids. So the new childish-looking animation actually might appeal to them more.

Years
I don't think it's amateur. It's just a different style. Like how Wind Waker looks very simple but is actually very complex.

Remember, this is actually for kids. So the new childish-looking animation actually might appeal to them more.

You do have a point. I'm mostly concerned that it will be too kid-friendly and that will make it unappealing to watch.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
Only the very first 30s trailer we get at the end of TF arc climax battle episode, where there shown Pikachu using Quick Attack or some other attack, and the scene of Ash using Z-ring and order Pikachu using Z-move. But other than these two scenes, there were absolutely no mentioning about possible battles and challenges in the upcoming saga, all it focused was the daily life between Alolan natives and pokemons, there was absolutely no tension nor excitement, just a carefree and relaxing atmosphere.
If you can search back the trailers of the past series, they were never being that heavy on the non-battle aspect of the Pokemon World.
Since Team Rocket was shown in the promotional poster I would assume there would be battles with them to stop whatever the scheme is at least unless they're going to have some new role. Since there's no gyms though, it does look like battling is going to be a less of an aspect than we're used to.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 20, 2016
I'm not feeling this series tbh. I know Pokemon is suppose to be lighthearted, but what will be the incentive to watch? If battles are infrequent that will make it pretty boring. I'm less bothered by Ash's design and more concerned with him feeling so disconnected from his past self, even more than BW Ash.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
Years
To be honest, I missed when Ash used to be klutzy and childish like he was in the original series. I thought he was far too mature for his age in XY, so I'm glad to see that he might act the same way he used to. I just hope that he won't be a noob again like in the beginning of BW.

Years
Does anyone noticed, that the new trailer and information we get so far from the new SM series, there are almost close to none mentioning and showing of the main feature of Pokemon series: BATTLE?

I understand that Pokemon Anime trying to go to a complete different direction in SM saga, but still I have doubt will I like this series or not. Because firstly in the past I always watch Pokemon Anime for the cool actions within many important events, I didn't watch it for daily life slapstick comedy. Secondly I didn't like time wasting fillers, so if the whole SM series have that pointless "filler" feelings for the entire series, I'm out.

Well I feel like that is how this new season is going to feel.

Back