• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Johto's starters; Take Your Pick :)

Which is your favourite Johto Starter?

• Chikorita-->Bayleef-->Meganium

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Cyndaquil-->Quilava-->Typhlosion

Votes: 30 52.6%
  • Totodile-->Croconaw-->Feraligatr

Votes: 20 35.1%

• Total voters

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
Years
  • Johto is home to many elements, among them are the second set of starters in the series. I remember being 12, staring at a Pokemon Gold box in a video game store, which has long since closed, but memories last. My very first partner has Totodile, which would be the precursor to the method of playing from then on in. Slash and Bite were incredibly strong, and I beat the game without teaching it any TMs. Afterwards, I would teach Totodile Ice Punch each and every time, for Blackthorn and Elite 4. (Also, Ice Punch may not exist in TM form in HG/SS, but Totodile learns Ice Fang, still allowing it to contend against Clair/Lance.) From now until forever, Johto's starters would be my favourite set. They are the only starter set whose final forms have only one type! (Fighting/Fire types bore me, thanks GF, unimaginitive hapless folks.) I also love Cyndaquil and Chikorita with a passion. Synthesis and Flame Wheel make an astounding appearance in this beloved GBC set. Let me know what you think. The more passionate your answer, the better.

JoshTheTrainer

Glaceon Lover ~
    Years
  • I always loved Totodile but actually I'd rather get all 3 than just one. I love Chikorita because of how it looks, and Totodile and Cyndaquil are just amazing.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    A really solid set of starters all-around, but my favorite is definitely Chikorita! I think it looks great across all three stages of its evolution, and is just super cute! I hope they all get Mega Evolutions one day that truly do them justice.

khaozz

Peace sells, but who's buying?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2018
    I just use the clone glitch to get all three starters in GSC, since I love them all. If I am only allowed to get one, then it's definitely Typhlosion. It's my favorite starter and my 4th favorite Pokemon of all time. Typhlosion is also a huge reason why Fire is my favorite type and I always pick the Fire starter on my first playthrough of every generation.

Years
    • Seen today
    I think when I first played Gold I chose Chikorita because I figured that it was chosen less than every other starter. The same choice was made in my first run of HeartGold.

I have no regrets, Chikorita is bad but I like it.

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
    Years
  • Alright, it seems that Chikorita is the cute one, Cyndaquil is the tough one and Totodile is just that croc you never want to hate. To those who picked all three, :) I do too, with the Box Cheat. Another reason I was so drawn to 8-Bit Johto.

No, 5qwerty, I wouldn't say that, I don't believe in bad pokemon, Chikorita is the only one that can recover on its own, which can't be said for most Pokemon out there.

Rivvon, I completely agree with you in the manner that Johto's trio must release Mega Stones that accompany Meganium, Typhlosion and Feraligatr. They completely skipped Mega Stones for Johto's starters, but accommodated Hoenn's? How much sense does that make? Still hoping we can carry these polls for a while yet.

Years
  • Chikorita shouln't have evolutions. It made me really angry when she evolved in the anime. I was like "Stupid Ash! Look at what you made her do! Now she can't go back!".

Most of the time, my Chikorita carries an everstone, never evolving (since its kind of boring having to press B everytime she lvls up).

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • Cyndaquil is my favorite, and I enjoyed using it the most, but Chikorita is a close second. :) I mostly played the 3 Johto games fully just to use the starters. Each had their own pro's and cons to using on my actual team, but Cynda was by far the easiest to use.

Years
  • I've always been pretty neutral towards all the Johto starters, with none of them really being more exciting to me than the others. The one I've used the most is Cyndaquil, which is why I voted for it in the poll, but I've always loved Ash's Chikorita/Bayleef from the anime, and Totodile is one of my favorite designs for first stage starter Pokemon.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I really really like Chikorita, but I don't enjoy its evos at all ;; Maybe Bayleef is ok, but I never liked Meganium, sadly.

Totodile and its evos have nice designs, but I never found them interesting to use in the games. Cyndaquil's line is kind of (very) boring in its designs (they barely change at all when they evolve, even) but it's super useful in the games and I almost always picked it. So I voted for Cynda!

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Totodile is my favorite, with Cyndaquil in a close second place. It's a bit of a tossup between them. Chikorita is a ways below that, but I still like it.

I didn't use to like Feraligatr (though I liked Totodile), so Typhlosion was my favorite final form of the Johto starters, but Feraligatr has grown on me a lot over the years. I think that's in part due to the physical/special split in the later games, and in part due to different sprites later on (Feraligatr's original sprite seemed kind of ugly and mean to me, so I never evolved my Totodile).

Years
  • Johto is the only region where I really love all three starters. I think Cyndaquil would be my favorite though. I love both of its evolutions.

Tysoon

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    Totodile because i always like water type. In other words, water is my favourite type.

redjj1

Old School
    Years
  • Before I got the game, I had a Pokemon book telling the story of Gold and his Typhlosion, using screen shots of the game as it's illustrations. Was actually really good (coming from a kid who didn't like reading)!

So I chose Cyndaquil for my first play through. Tododile sometimes wins me over but mainly a Cyndaquil kinda guy.

Cloche

エスパーレディ
    Years
  • Quilava is one of my favorite Pokémon. So much so that I never evolve the initial starter. (I SR for a female with good stats) and breed or trade for Typhlosion.
    I also like Chikoritas evolutionary line, but not as much

Back