• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Proposal: Druddigon in OU: Why you should all try it (Check post #38)

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
  • Fine let's be more clear:

Druddigon is a powerful wallbreaker which finds its niche in OU by being able to smash through Clefable and Tangrowth effortlessly, something very few dragon-types are able to do. It also beats up Ferrothorn and Skarmory in 2 hits, and depending on its coverage, it can get past stuff such as Tyranitar, Heatran, Chansey, Quagsire and Mega Sableye. Druddigon is no slouch against offensive teams, either, as it has access to Sucker Punch to revenge kill Latios and Mega Alakazam and deal great damage to Hoopa Unbound. Perhaps the most scary thing is how surprisingly hard is Druddigon to switch into. Its bulk isn't that bad, as at full health it can survive 2 HP Ices from electric-types such as Raikou and Manectric.

Years
  • Fine let's be more clear:

Druddigon is a powerful wallbreaker which finds its niche in OU by being able to smash through Clefable and Tangrowth effortlessly, something very few dragon-types are able to do. It also beats up Ferrothorn and Skarmory in 2 hits, and depending on its coverage, it can get past stuff such as Tyranitar, Heatran, Chansey, Quagsire and Mega Sableye. Druddigon is no slouch against offensive teams, either, as it has access to Sucker Punch to revenge kill Latios and Mega Alakazam and deal great damage to Hoopa Unbound. Perhaps the most scary thing is how surprisingly hard is Druddigon to switch into. Its bulk isn't that bad, as at full health it can survive 2 HP Ices from electric-types such as Raikou and Manectric.

So it's basically a less good Garchomp?

Reactions: noa

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • So it's basically a less good Garchomp?

ugh no.

Druddigon is a great Pokemon in RU =)

If you still have your heart set on writing about Druddigon in OU, my advice is talking about a specially defensive set with Roseli Berry. It lets Druddigon set up Stealth Rock on Mega Diancie, which would otherwise flatten it, thanks to Mold Breaker, which negates Magic Bounce, and its access to Glare, which cripples Mega Diancie for the rest of the match.

Something like

Druddigon @ Roseli Berry
    Ability: Mold Breaker
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Careful Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Glare
    - Taunt
    - Gunk Shot / Dragon Tail

That being said, this is still EXTREMELY niche. I'm not sold on whether or not this is even worth a teamslot considering it is so matchup reliant.

Idk, I never really tried that set. Hopefully I'll get replays of this soon because dem Drud haters won't stop xD

Oh yeah, found one more replay with Druddigon in action, this time against Dark Azelf:
    http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokecommunity-ou-200219

Speaking of which, I should probably add Rocky Helmet Druddigon to the analysis too. inb4butit'soutclassedbychomplol

Last edited:
    Years
  • That replay is basically DA stall losing to LO Hoopa lol.

Druddigon is basically useless in OU. It IS, however, usable in Ubers (arguably much better than Garchomp)!

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
    Years
  • That battle doesn't prove anything. Druddigon did literally zero that battle besides get Toxic stalled by Zapdos and Defogged on every time it attempted to lay Stealth Rock. While that phazing set is great for bulky teams in RU, it looks like it is a huge momentum sucker on your offensive team. Also, Dark Azelf got cheesed by your Hoopa-U crit and burn on Dugtrio, which would have put in loads of work. Finally, the team you faced was full of things that you would not normally find in OU. Dugtrio is unconventional at best while Shedinja is a stupid gimmick. You didn't even use the set you said you were going to talk about in the article!

You have still not provided any reasoning as to why Druddigon is better than any other specific Dragon-type in OU. By the looks of it, unless it is exploiting its niche as a Dragon-type SR setter that beats Mega Diancie (which is INCREDIBLY match-up reliant anyway and leaves Druddigon useless 80% of the time), Druddigon is just not worth using over Garchomp, Latias, Latios, Mega Charizard X, or Mega Altaria. I am really not sold on this.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • That replay is basically DA stall losing to LO Hoopa lol.

Druddigon is basically useless in OU. It IS, however, usable in Ubers (arguably much better than Garchomp)!

What does it do in Ubers?

and IIRC I had Mach Punch on Infernape anyway, so the burn wasn't that needed.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • You need to respond to the questions asking why you recommend Druddigon over other Dragons in the tier or I can tell you with some certainty that your article with its current topic won't be published.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • You need to respond to the questions asking why you recommend Druddigon over other Dragons in the tier or I can tell you with some certainty that your article with its current topic won't be published.

Fine let's be more clear:

The paragraph I wrote includes the reason why it has merit over other Dragon-types (destroying Clefable and Tangrowth very easily and the ability to revenge kill Latios). This is just the offensive set! I'll go into detail about his other sets (aka the defensive ones, the one Aurora posted and the physically defensive set which btw ISN'T outclassed by chomp).

Do you guys have a conspiracy against Druddigon or something? Oh I get it, it's ugly and it's the butt of all jokes, it's perfectly understandable.

Years
  • I actually really like it's design. I still wouldn't run it over Chomp. I'm not the best of battlers admittedly, but it feels to me that if you have to try this hard to justify using it in OU, it probably doesn't belong there.

I think there's a lot of lower tiered pokemon that can work really well in OU with the right team, I just can't see Druddigon being one of them.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Whatever. I'll write an analysis for the offensive set sometime later because I'm honestly bored rn. I'm not being a tryhard or whatever but you guys kinda like to ignore my arguments for why it has merit over other dragons. Actually how about I write them here.

Offensive set:
    - The ability to OHKO Clefable, Azumarill and Tangrowth in one shot after Stealth Rock damage, without prior setup or other bs, something only Hoopa-Unbound can also do
    - The ability to survive 2 Hidden Power Ices from Mega Manectric and Calm Mind Raikou most of the time
    - Access to a priority move that allows it to OHKO Latios and Latias after SR
    - Good surprise value

Rocky Helmet (over Chomp):
    - The ability to set up SR on Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie
    - Can somewhat stall Mega Lopunny as HJK has a low chance to 2HKO it
    - Access to Glare

Specially defensive Drud over other rockers:
    - The ability to set up SR on Mega Sableye, Mega Diancie and most fairies confortably
    - Access to Glare
    - Access to a phazing move

Sirfetch’d

Tangrowth is 94th in usage with a .9% appearance rate, not even close enough to warrant using a Pokemon like this over <insert Dragon here>. You'd be better off using Kyurem-Black. Azumarill is in a higher speed tier so quite a few of the sets, including the BD spread, will outspeed and KO with Play Rough, no good player is going to send in either of the Latis against a Pokemon who can KO with Sucker Punch(or bait it out with Roost), the defensive sets are completely dead weight after you set up SR and as Aurora said are 100% matchup dependent. Defensive Chomp can be useful against a myriad of teams. If you want something that isn't one shot by HP Ice, use Kyurem-Black or Mega Altaria. Both of which have good matchups against HP Ice users such as Manectric and Raikou.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Tangrowth is 94th in usage with a .9% appearance rate, not even close enough to warrant using a Pokemon like this over <insert Dragon here>. You'd be better off using Kyurem-Black. Azumarill is in a higher speed tier so quite a few of the sets, including the BD spread, will outspeed and KO with Play Rough, no good player is going to send in either of the Latis against a Pokemon who can KO with Sucker Punch(or bait it out with Roost), the defensive sets are completely dead weight after you set up SR and as Aurora said are 100% matchup dependent. Defensive Chomp can be useful against a myriad of teams. If you want something that isn't one shot by HP Ice, use Kyurem-Black or Mega Altaria. Both of which have good matchups against HP Ice users such as Manectric and Raikou.

Idk where did you get your stats from but:
    | 74 | Tangrowth | 1.58065% | 25330 | 0.602% | 19550 | 0.620% | (OU 1825 stats)

1.58%? I wouldn't ignore that tbh. 124 Spe Drud does creep CB Azu though (you can even run 132 to guarantee it will outspeed it) and Belly Drum sets aren't that common compared to the CB variant. AV is ass, so I won't count it.

RH Drud is useful against a myriad of teams too, it's slightly worse than Chomp but does have its advantages as I pointed out.

Sirfetch’d

Idk where did you get your stats from but:
    | 74 | Tangrowth | 1.58065% | 25330 | 0.602% | 19550 | 0.620% | (OU 1825 stats)

Yes it has a bit higher usage on the higher ladder but I got mine from the combined usage ladder stats here, where it sits at 94th.

Years
  • To be fair, is your point perhaps that Druddigon is under-rated, or that it is not worse than most other dragons in the tier? In that case, you could perhaps make some claim for it. It does perhaps play a role slightly different to the others. That said, it might be best to make a point for why it's better than most Pokémon at coming in late, as you did note that Druddigon apparently supports such usage, and perhaps makes sense given that it's not likely to buff and so on during that process (except via Baton Passers, etc.)

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • To be fair, is your point perhaps that Druddigon is under-rated, or that it is not worse than most other dragons in the tier? In that case, you could perhaps make some claim for it. It does perhaps play a role slightly different to the others. That said, it might be best to make a point for why it's better than most Pokémon at coming in late, as you did note that Druddigon apparently supports such usage, and perhaps makes sense given that it's not likely to buff and so on during that process (except via Baton Passers, etc.)

Both are my points. Druddigon is extremely rare in the OU tier, and while it's understandable why, it does have merit over other dragons. But it looks like I need more replays because EEEEH WHO CARES LET'S IGNORE EVERYTHING VODKA SAYS

I'm sorry for my reactions, but I can't take this anymore lol

With that said, here's my thoughts on LO Druddigon.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • You certainly have valid points on what it checks/counters. Therefore, sell it as "If fairies are recking your Garchomp and you need some Dragon type and/or can't afford to run a Poison/Steel type, consider Druddigon" or the like.

Setwise, I fail to understand the purpose of the HP bulk, as to my knowledge most Clefable run 0 SpAtk which 2HKOes anyway at +0 and has an 80% OHKO chance at +1.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • You certainly have valid points on what it checks/counters. Therefore, sell it as "If fairies are recking your Garchomp and you need some Dragon type and/or can't afford to run a Poison/Steel type, consider Druddigon" or the like.

Setwise, I fail to understand the purpose of the HP bulk, as to my knowledge most Clefable run 0 SpAtk which 2HKOes anyway at +0 and has an 80% OHKO chance at +1.

Updated. It also allows Drud to tank Manectric's HP Ice more confortably + 108 speed is the farthest speed benchmark Druddigon needs to achieve.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Mmm, I wouldn't mind an article like this as you seem to have your experiences and knowledge with it, but just a suggestion to maybe compare the other popular dragons in OU and list the advantages/disadvantages of them, and see how Druddigon compares?

I've used Drudd in TR sometimes and it actually works out well, so, I think this could work. o:

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Mmm, I wouldn't mind an article like this as you seem to have your experiences and knowledge with it, but just a suggestion to maybe compare the other popular dragons in OU and list the advantages/disadvantages of them, and see how Druddigon compares?

I've used Drudd in TR sometimes and it actually works out well, so, I think this could work. o:

Druddigon doesn't always have to rely on Outrage to deal large chunks of damage, unlike most Dragon-types. Its Gunk Shot is actually stronger than Jolly Toxicroak's and hits as hard as Kyurem-B's Dragon Claw:

Spoiler:

In short, Druddigon doesn't have to risk going for Outrage when there are still fairies or steels running around, since Gunk Shot will OHKO most offensive Pokemon on the switch, with a bit of prior damage (252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Druddigon Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 212-250 (87.9 - 103.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock). Keldeo and Manaphy also fall to Gunk Shot + Sucker Punch. That's how strong Gunk Shot is, it basically has a 156 base power. It's like using Earthquake and having STAB on it!

Then Outrage is still there when you need to break Chansey or Tyranitar, since it lands 2HKOes on both. Only problem may be when they have Skarmory as a partner (which they commonly do), but Druddigon can somewhat allievate this problem with Fire Punch or Flamethrower.

I've also listed Drud's other advantages over Dragon-types, namely its decent bulk when invested (avoids the 2HKO from Mega Manectric's HP Ice) and access to a reliable revenge killing move in Sucker Punch.

Back