• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"What is this? Is it fake? How much is it worth?" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 46
  • Seen Aug 12, 2017
Hi. I signed up here to ask about a card of my son's. I hope that's okay. I recently became hooked on collecting pokemon with him and even learning a little about the game. I recently bought a couple of fake cards on ebay. They were totally obvious. But this card, well it's a basic energy but it's printed on both sides. My son traded for this a long while ago, I don't remember exactly. My thought was it was a card where the ink had run out because it's a psychic energy (basic) but its yellow. But it's not just a wrong symbol because the other side is a faded peach (like the dye ran out). The border is a brighter yellow. So, it's gotta be fake, you will probably tell me DUH... But it FEELS just like a Pokemon card. If that makes sense. And it is opaque when held to light. It has no writing on it other than energy, not even a year. I tried looking online for similar. So... Were/Are there energy cards printed on both sides or would that not make sense when playing the game? And if so, are there any without the year, set number, trademark even??? And why in the heck would someone make a fake one? To sell as a mistake? If I can attach pictures I will I took some with both psychic and lightning side by side. But this is my first post. Oh and it has no swirls or smoke behind the picture.
I created a shared album on google. It said to insert a link so that was how I did it. Is that right. I don't know. I'm 40.
Yes, I am unable to post photos. But I appreciate anyone taking the time to answer. Thank you in advance.

Years
Hi. I signed up here to ask about a card of my son's. I hope that's okay. I recently became hooked on collecting pokemon with him and even learning a little about the game. I recently bought a couple of fake cards on ebay. They were totally obvious. But this card, well it's a basic energy but it's printed on both sides. My son traded for this a long while ago, I don't remember exactly. My thought was it was a card where the ink had run out because it's a psychic energy (basic) but its yellow. But it's not just a wrong symbol because the other side is a faded peach (like the dye ran out). The border is a brighter yellow. So, it's gotta be fake, you will probably tell me DUH... But it FEELS just like a Pokemon card. If that makes sense. And it is opaque when held to light. It has no writing on it other than energy, not even a year. I tried looking online for similar. So... Were/Are there energy cards printed on both sides or would that not make sense when playing the game? And if so, are there any without the year, set number, trademark even??? And why in the heck would someone make a fake one? To sell as a mistake? If I can attach pictures I will I took some with both psychic and lightning side by side. But this is my first post. Oh and it has no swirls or smoke behind the picture.
I created a shared album on google. It said to insert a link so that was how I did it. Is that right. I don't know. I'm 40.
Yes, I am unable to post photos. But I appreciate anyone taking the time to answer. Thank you in advance.

Based on description, it does sound like a counterfeit. For photos, click "post reply" and you should see a paperclip icon and that will allow you to attach the pictures to your post.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Aug 12, 2017
Blank Pokemon Card Value

Hi All,

I am trying to determine the value of the following blank card. Any feedback?

Attachments

• pokemon1.jpg
    pokemon1.jpg
    1,012 KB · Views: 13
  • pokemon2.jpg
    pokemon2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Feb 16, 2020
Found My Pokemon Cards Not Sure on This card

Hi I am new to the forum and cant wait to post and check out the site more. I found my binder of Pokemon cards from years ago. I came across this card in my binder and I always remember my brother being so proud of this card. it is pretty worn from being played. I cannot find any information on it. It is a Mewtwo card. Any idea on this? Thank you in advance

Attachments

• DSC00830.jpg
    DSC00830.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 14
Years
Hi I am new to the forum and cant wait to post and check out the site more. I found my binder of Pokemon cards from years ago. I came across this card in my binder and I always remember my brother being so proud of this card. it is pretty worn from being played. I cannot find any information on it. It is a Mewtwo card. Any idea on this? Thank you in advance

Welcome to the forums. I've gone ahead and moved your post to the appropriate thread for these types of questions.

So, basically, the reason you can't find anything on that card is that it is a counterfeit. Basically, you and your brother spent your whole childhood playing with a counterfeit card.

Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen Aug 17, 2017
Need some help identifying a potential "flaw" on two of my daughters Pokemon cards. We recently found two cards that do not have an energy type image in the little round circle (colour is there but no symbol). I think I was able to attach the pictures.

See moves - "Bubble" on Squirtle and "Sleepy Lost" on Mime Jr.

My questions:

1.) Is this common/rare?
2.) Are these valuable/worth more than normal?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_3642.jpg
    IMG_3642.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3643.jpg
    IMG_3643.jpg
    942.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Years
Need some help identifying a potential "flaw" on two of my daughters Pokemon cards. We recently found two cards that do not have an energy type image in the little round circle (colour is there but no symbol). I think I was able to attach the pictures.

See moves - "Bubble" on Squirtle and "Sleepy Lost" on Mime Jr.

My questions:

1.) Is this common/rare?
2.) Are these valuable/worth more than normal?

Thank you!

So this isn't an error. This is how these cards are normally printed. And they're printed this way because those two attacks can be used without attaching Energy to those Pokemon. Seriously. So they're not worth any more than normal because they are normal.

Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen Aug 17, 2017
So this isn't an error. This is how these cards are normally printed. And they're printed this way because those two attacks can be used without attaching Energy to those Pokemon. Seriously. So they're not worth any more than normal because they are normal.

Awesome! Thank you for the quick response! I had never noticed this until we were going through her collection today. Good info I guess we should have known, but are newbies!

Thanks!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Aug 18, 2017
I have a card that I think may be worth something it is a 1996 pocket monsters card all in Japanese and it looks rilly good but it may be fake so plz help me

Years
I have a card that I think may be worth something it is a 1996 pocket monsters card all in Japanese and it looks rilly good but it may be fake so plz help me

I'm gonna need more details than that. What you've provided so far is nowhere close to enough information to evaluate a card. Do you have any pictures you can upload as an attachment to your next post?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Aug 18, 2017
I have pictures but I'm on my phone and I don't have a pc so so u have a email so I can send you the pictures

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Aug 20, 2017
Is this a misprint?

I was looking through my old deck seeing if I have anything worth selling. I noticed the name on my Meowth card was Mauzi instead. I am not finding much about the card and can't find it on Troll and Toad. The gold boarder Meowth next to it is just for comparison. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20170820_125708.jpg
    20170820_125708.jpg
    705.2 KB · Views: 11
Years
I have pictures but I'm on my phone and I don't have a pc so so u have a email so I can send you the pictures

User your phone's web browser to upload the pictures. It should be possible. I don't give out my email to strangers on the internet as a personal security rule.

I was looking through my old deck seeing if I have anything worth selling. I noticed the name on my Meowth card was Mauzi instead. I am not finding much about the card and can't find it on Troll and Toad. The gold boarder Meowth next to it is just for comparison. Thank you.

I've gone ahead and moved your post to the appropriate thread for these types of questions.

Well the reason you're not finding much is because it's a foreign language card. I think that's German. It isn't any more valuable than the normal English Meowth. The Gold Border Meowth is actually worth more than your German Meowth.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 22, 2017
Hi, I'm trying to find information on this themed box and how much it might be worth. It's sealed, There's 8 packs inside. I've tried searching the ISBN and even tried scanning the barcode.

Attachments

• IMG_20170821_182247962.jpg
    IMG_20170821_182247962.jpg
    1,002.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20170821_182323122.jpg
    IMG_20170821_182323122.jpg
    967.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20170821_182348388.jpg
    IMG_20170821_182348388.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20170821_182332808.jpg
    IMG_20170821_182332808.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
Years
Hi,

I pulled a Holo Hydreigon from a Phantom forces pack about a year ago,
and it seems to be a defect card. It has the silhouette of Diancie, if I hold
it in the light. Here's a picture of it. Do you guys think it's worth anything?

Attachments

• DSCN4653.JPG
    DSCN4653.JPG
    495.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Diancie Hyrdeigon.jpg
    Diancie Hyrdeigon.jpg
    439.3 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN4652.JPG
    DSCN4652.JPG
    438.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 23, 2017
Hi,

I recently picked up a Gyarados from Base Set (6/102) for very cheap, just $1. However, the Gyarados looks quite different from all the other Base Set holos in my collection. The energy symbols look different and kind of "pop out" of the card, there is a gap between the art box and the description bar (the bar which contains the length and width of the Pokemon), and there is a lot of empty space beneath Gyarados' first attack. The card feels pretty much the same as other Base Set holos, but the differences that I described seem pretty glaring. Is this a legit card, or a fake?

Here is a pic of the card:
20170821_190914.jpg

The back:
20170821_191003.jpg

Years
Hi, I'm trying to find information on this themed box and how much it might be worth. It's sealed, There's 8 packs inside. I've tried searching the ISBN and even tried scanning the barcode.

So, while I have no idea what to call it, its contents are the 4 theme decks from the Base Set.5 Unfortunately, nobody seems to have any to gauge the price by. Each deck is going for about $40 to $50 each on their own, though, so maybe $320?

Hi,

I pulled a Holo Hydreigon from a Phantom forces pack about a year ago,
and it seems to be a defect card. It has the silhouette of Diancie, if I hold
it in the light. Here's a picture of it. Do you guys think it's worth anything?

Can I get the whole face of the card in the same photo? Just want to analyze the rest of the card for any potential counterfeit signs before taking a stab at any value.

Hi,

I recently picked up a Gyarados from Base Set (6/102) for very cheap, just $1. However, the Gyarados looks quite different from all the other Base Set holos in my collection. The energy symbols look different and kind of "pop out" of the card, there is a gap between the art box and the description bar (the bar which contains the length and width of the Pokemon), and there is a lot of empty space beneath Gyarados' first attack. The card feels pretty much the same as other Base Set holos, but the differences that I described seem pretty glaring. Is this a legit card, or a fake?

Here is a pic of the card:
View attachment 82842

The back:
View attachment 82843

So, basically, you have a shadowless, non-1st Edition, Base Set Gyarados. The rest of your cards have a shadow around the bottom and right sides of the art box that makes the art box seem "connected" to the stats box, when it's just the shadow of the art box causing the connection. I'd peg it at about $15 to $20 in value, personally.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 27, 2017
i know these ex cards are real i just wont to know how much money they are worth?

Attachments

• blastoise gx cards 001.jpg
    blastoise gx cards 001.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 2
  • blastoise gx cards 002.jpg
    blastoise gx cards 002.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 2
  • blastoise gx cards 003.jpg
    blastoise gx cards 003.jpg
    648.3 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.