• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"What is this? Is it fake? How much is it worth?" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 23, 2017
Hi, I recently obtained an English version of Sabrina's Gengar from Gym Heroes (14/132) that still has crosses in the art box. This really surprised me, because I thought that the English version had censored out the crosses. Do any of you have more information about this card? I suspect that the card might be a fake, because I bought the card for a very low price online (just 10 cents), but the card doesn't look fake at all. I have lots of other classic WOTC cards, and this Sabrina's Gengar has the same look and feel as those cards. I would post an image, but the site says I need at least five posts before I can do that.

Years
Hi, I recently obtained an English version of Sabrina's Gengar from Gym Heroes (14/132) that still has crosses in the art box. This really surprised me, because I thought that the English version had censored out the crosses. Do any of you have more information about this card? I suspect that the card might be a fake, because I bought the card for a very low price online (just 10 cents), but the card doesn't look fake at all. I have lots of other classic WOTC cards, and this Sabrina's Gengar has the same look and feel as those cards. I would post an image, but the site says I need at least five posts before I can do that.

FYI, you can attach an image to your posts even if you're not allowed to link images from an off-site source.

As best as I can tell from your description, I'm thinking it's counterfeit, especially given that there is no record of print errors for that particular card in English. Mind uploading a pic as an attachment?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 23, 2017
FYI, you can attach an image to your posts even if you're not allowed to link images from an off-site source.

As best as I can tell from your description, I'm thinking it's counterfeit, especially given that there is no record of print errors for that particular card in English. Mind uploading a pic as an attachment?

Okay, thanks for that information. Here is one pic that I took, I can post more pics if necessary. (The card is definitely a holo foil, even though the image doesn't capture it very well)

20170730_131135.jpg

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 22, 2021
Found a Binder of Base set Thru 2nd Base.

Heya,

Been cleaning out my old desk drawers and closet since I'm moving out, and I stumbled onto a couple old binders of relatively well preserved old cards.

Figured if anyone knew anything about whether or not these were worth anything, it would be a forum like this.

Heres a few Pics I took: (Not sure if these links work)

mXPuFQ

ddSs25

iJ6Vpk

hsmwUk

Anyone know who I should talk to here/Where I should look for info on this sort of thing?

I've only got a couple weeks before I move, and I don't intend on taking these with me.

Attachments

• IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0371.jpg
    IMG_0371.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0370.jpg
    IMG_0370.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
Years
Heya,

Been cleaning out my old desk drawers and closet since I'm moving out, and I stumbled onto a couple old binders of relatively well preserved old cards.

Figured if anyone knew anything about whether or not these were worth anything, it would be a forum like this.

Heres a few Pics I took: (Not sure if these links work)

mXPuFQ

ddSs25

iJ6Vpk

hsmwUk

Anyone know who I should talk to here/Where I should look for info on this sort of thing?

I've only got a couple weeks before I move, and I don't intend on taking these with me.

I've gone ahead and merged your post into the appropriate place for such queries.

The fact of the matter is, how much you can get is dependent on how much effort you want to put in. You may just want to bulk sell them in a single eBay lot or via Craigslist or via sending them in to an online card shop from Troll and Toad, given you've only got a couple of weeks, because listing on eBay can take months for the cards to move and there's always the chance the buyer will try to send them back.

When I look up prices on cards, I always just search eBay's sold listings for a particular card and see what it was most frequently moving for.

Those images aren't clear enough, but those look like shadowed commons and UCs. Not worth much if I recall.

I saw at least one holographic Fossil Ditto and a Base Set 2 holo Clefairy on the tops of those stacks, so it's not all commons and uncommons.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 4, 2017
Need help about price of charizard

I have this pocket monster card and it looks like it's worth something can you all help out i don't even know how to post pics here

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
I'll move this on over to the Pokemon TCG section of the community where you can get your question answered. You can add images by attaching them. If you go to advanced reply, you'll see this:
w6aU6wFQRza4TcoBJSZRUQ.png

give that a click and it'll prompt you to attach your files. hope i helped!

Years
  • Age 32
  • NY
  • Seen Aug 25, 2017
I have many different original Japanese gym hero base set cards. Including Sabrina's Porygon and Blaine's Growlithe. I cannot post pics to this message board because I just joined, how rare are these cards? Keep in mind these were bought in 1996. They are authentic.

Years
I have many different original Japanese gym hero base set cards. Including Sabrina's Porygon and Blaine's Growlithe. I cannot post pics to this message board because I just joined, how rare are these cards? Keep in mind these were bought in 1996. They are authentic.

You can still upload pictures as attachments.

However, 1996 sounds extremely early for the Gym cards since the Gym sets themselves didn't debut in Japan until 1998.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 22, 2021
So I looked through my old binder a little more closely after doing a bit of research.

Since it's been in My desk drawer binders (in card sleeve pages no less, so they're well preserved) (See Pic 1), I came to the realization I have some of these "Shadowless" cards from '99.

About 25 various (EDIT: Shadowless) energy cards, as well as a bunch of varied Monster cards (Pic 2, far more in possession than picture shows)).

Seems I also have some old Holo's/1st Ed's (Pic 3) as well as some of those weird Gym leader ones (Pic 4), and the machamp of that set looks to be holo as well.

Would it be worth it to try to sell these ones? And if so, would ebay be my best bet or is there somewhere more specifically meant for this sort of thing?

Picture 1:
kCmbHF

Picture 2:
hQ1yWa

Picture 3:
kUeVcF

Picture 4:
hqbyWa

Attachments

• IMG_0378.jpg
    IMG_0378.jpg
    653.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0379.jpg
    IMG_0379.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0380.jpg
    IMG_0380.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0381.jpg
    IMG_0381.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Okay, thanks for that information. Here is one pic that I took, I can post more pics if necessary. (The card is definitely a holo foil, even though the image doesn't capture it very well)

View attachment 82638

This is legit. Although the international versions of the card were edited, the censors did a poor job at removing the crucifix tombstones. They erased/lightened the tombstones (as well as the ground for some reason), but you can still see their silhouettes against the clouds. All English versions of the card have this "error," but you can't see them in most scans because the foil pattern obstructs them (much like how you can't see Giovanni in the background of most Dark Persian promo scans).

Also, the reason Gengar looks washed-out is because Gengar was intended to be translucent (this is more noticeable on the Japanese version of the card).

Last edited:
Years
So I looked through my old binder a little more closely after doing a bit of research.

Since it's been in My desk drawer binders (in card sleeve pages no less, so they're well preserved) (See Pic 1), I came to the realization I have some of these "Shadowless" cards from '99.

About 25 various (EDIT: Shadowless) energy cards, as well as a bunch of varied Monster cards (Pic 2, far more in possession than picture shows)).

Seems I also have some old Holo's/1st Ed's (Pic 3) as well as some of those weird Gym leader ones (Pic 4), and the machamp of that set looks to be holo as well.

Would it be worth it to try to sell these ones? And if so, would ebay be my best bet or is there somewhere more specifically meant for this sort of thing?

Picture 1:
kCmbHF

Picture 2:
hQ1yWa

Picture 3:
kUeVcF

Picture 4:
hqbyWa

While some of those holos might be able to be sold for some cash individually, you may have better success moving the cards as a lot since some of those commons and uncommons have visible creasing and edge wear (especially Squirtle, Pikachu, and Bulbasaur).

eBay is probably your best bet for highest price. Ease of movement without paying for shipping is probably Craigslist or selling them to your local card shop (if they buy Pokemon singles), and the other alternative is seeing if you've got enough to sell in bulk to a site like trollandtoad.

This is legit. Although the international versions of the card were edited, the censors did a poor job at removing the crucifix tombstones. They erased/lightened the tombstones (as well as the ground for some reason), but you can still see their silhouettes against the clouds. All English versions of the card have this "error," but you can't see them in most scans because the foil pattern obstructs them (much like how you can't see Giovanni in the bakground of most Dark Persian promo scans).

Also, the reason Gengar looks washed-out is because Gengar was intended to be translucent (this is more noticeable on the Japanese version of the card).

My question is, why isn't this information stated in any of the major community databases?

icycatelf

Alex
Years
My question is, why isn't this information stated in any of the major community databases?

My guess is that most people simply don't notice it. I'd previously assumed Gengar was standing on water (or some other mirror-like surface). It wasn't until recent years, when a page I follow posted an image comparing the English and Japanese versions, that I finally noticed the tombstones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back