• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Make it or break it

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
  • The first line(s) of a story are arguably the most important of the entire story, and for many are the determining factor of whether or not they'll actually continue on with reading something. So tell me, what are your favorite ways to really hook your reader with that short introduction? Do you dump info about setting and hope they trudge through it, are you a foreshadower, do you utilize powerful quotes from either a character in your universe or ours, or do you take another approach?

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I really like dream sequences and quotes. Something that really sums up part of, or the entire story in just a few lines without giving any real details.

'Awaken, O bastard son of the sixth kingdom, fleeting dream of the forgotten world. Feel, and consume of the Mother's breath. Heed the call of her voice, as the universe once did once, so long ago.'

As an example from a novel I've been working on, personally I feel that it makes for a pretty decent opening line for the entire story.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    While looking through my opening lines, I found that I tended to lean towards a one sentence opener that I hope makes the reader want to continue.

Examples include:
    "[Character] gazed up at the sky and wondered how far he had traveled."

"There wasn't any place left to go."

"It was foggy that morning."

"[Character] woke up, dreading his birthday."

Then I hop right into some narration that goes on about more about what's introduced in the first line.

Bay

Years
  • Lately I try to mix in both action and detail for my beginnings. Some recent examples being New Paths begins with Professor Kukui training with one of his Pokemon and Foul Play with Grimsley losing a battle (that later led him to go to Alola). Before sometimes I would start with a bit of exposition if I feel some set up is necessary before jumping into the action, but that's usually not everyone's preferred way to read the beginning.

Back