• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Lack of colour

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I really loved gen 2's colourful areas and sprites, but when I went back to play the gen 1 games later, the black and whiteness of it all bothered me. Yellow is a bit better, but still clearly colourless compared to later gens.

Do you think they should have added more colourful environments and characters in the anniversary versions, or are the oldest games still enjoyable despite their lack of colour?

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    I really loved gen 2's colourful areas and sprites, but when I went back to play the gen 1 games later, the black and whiteness of it all bothered me. Yellow is a bit better, but still clearly colourless compared to later gens.

Do you think they should have added more colourful environments and characters in the anniversary versions, or are the oldest games still enjoyable despite their lack of colour?

They should of added the Super Gameboy palettes to the anniversary editions in my eyes, they looked way better on that format than the GBC

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    They should of added the Super Gameboy palettes to the anniversary editions in my eyes, they looked way better on that format than the GBC
    Is that the Yellow version's colours?

Years
  • The Super Game Boy pallettes were the ones you could use if you were playing through your NES. I believe they were a bit brighter than what we got on Yellow, and you could manually swap through them if you wanted.

Since I played Yellow on the GBC, I didn't have to worry too much, though I agree that it would've been nice to get the SGB palettes when we got the VC release, since they look so much nicer (comparison between GBC and SGB palettes)

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I choose Yellow ONLY because of the colours!

I love how it switch when you enter a city.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I would have liked to see the Super GameBoy palette choices, but it's not a make-or-break thing for me, and I've mostly played Red and Blue so far. (I'm looking forward to playing more Yellow at some point, but that's not the version I've used for the challenges I've been doing so far).

Then again, I played Red (and my first six months of Gold or so) on a GameBoy Pocket, sans colors, so maybe that's part of why it feels relatively normal to me.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2016
    No, the lack of colors never bothered me. On that tiny little screen, everything looks super-crisp and "perfect enough" that you can't really ask for more. Even in B&W, the games still shines. Nothing beats walking into Cerulean City in Pokemon Yellow, watching everything turning into a blue-tint. This goes to show that these games are soo much more than catching Pokemon and fighting trainers; The atmosphere of the surrounding are astonishingly inviting.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • The lack of color really bothered me when I would go backwards from Sapphire to Yellow. But I guess it didn't really matter that much back when the games were first released, right?

I don't think it would be appropriate to redo the colorless environment for the console release, so I think they're fine like this. They're old and the colorless feel makes them seem old anyway :p

Back