• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Japan Calls For Denulcearized World On Hiroshima Anniversary

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
On Sunday, Japan marked 72 years since the United States dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima, destroying a portion of the city and its inhabitants, and heralding the end of World War II.

About 50,000 people, including representatives from 80 nations, gathered for an annual ceremony at Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park Sunday, reports The Japan Times.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe called for global cooperation to end nuclear weapons.

"For us to truly realize a world without nuclear weapons, the participation of both nuclear weapon states and non-nuclear weapon states is necessary," he said.

Last month, the United Nations reached its first agreement to ban nuclear weapons. But Japan, along with the nine nuclear-armed nations, including the United States, refused to take part in the negotiations and the vote.

Critics of the treaty, including the United States, say it does nothing to counter the "grave threat posed by North Korea's nuclear program." Member states can sign the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons next month; if ratified, it will be put into effect 90 days later, reports The New York Times.

Japan already adheres to a policy of not possessing, producing or allowing nuclear weapons on its territory. It is the only country to have ever come under nuclear attack.

72 years ago

On Aug. 6, 1945, the atomic bomb dropped by the Enola Gay Boeing B-29 detonated, killing an estimated 140,000 people. Three days later, the U.S. dropped a second bomb on the city of Nagasaki, killing an estimated 75,000. Within weeks, Japan surrendered.

Last year, then-President Obama became the first U.S. president to visit Hiroshima, where he called for an end to nuclear weapons. That visit provoked the ire of then-candidate Trump.

"Does President Obama ever discuss the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor while he's in Japan? Thousands of American lives lost," Trump tweeted.

So far, the Trump administration has focused on a denuclearized North Korea over a denuclearized world.

In February Trump told Reuters that "if countries are going to have nukes, we're going to be at the top of the pack."

Sanctions appear to be the current international tool of choice for taking on North Korea.

A day before the Hiroshima anniversary, the United Nations Security Council unanimously voted to impose new sanctions on North Korea over last month's long-range missile tests.
On Sunday, U.N. Secretary General Ant?nio Guterres issued a message calling for the United States and other nuclear-armed countries to do more to rid the world of nuclear weapons.

"(O)ur dream of a world free of nuclear weapons remains far from reality. The states possessing nuclear weapons have a special responsibility to undertake concrete and irreversible steps in nuclear disarmament."

Source: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...arized-world-on-72nd-anniversary-of-hiroshima

Meanwhile on the internet, we see people either joking or making serious statements about giving Japan a third nuke because of their sheer disgust on their weirdness in their form of entertainment and both their sexualization of minors and Romanization of incest relationships in their fictional works.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
I fail to comprehend how its "anti-American" to oppose nuclear bombs. The Japanese people today are not the same people that bombed Pearl Harbor. No nuclear bombs ensures safety, but banning all nuclear bombs would be very difficult unfortunately.

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2022
Errr... whatever it was you read on the internet is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand, which is Japan calling for absolute nuclear non-proliferation. Which is a noble cause, but realistically unattainable. The balance of the world relies on the countries armed with nuclear weapons to threaten each other enough not to use them. How can we ever trust that all of them will completely disarm their arsenal and stop all means of production and research into the field. It would be foolish.

I'm not happy about the state of nuclear weapons, but I don't see it changing. Not in my lifetime, at least.

Last edited:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Errr... whatever it was you read on the internet is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand, which is Japan calling for absolute nuclear non-proliferation.

I thought it was relevant to the topic because those people on the internet want to use a nuclear weapon on Japan again, for petty reasons, which is partly why Japan is preaching for an end to nuclear weapons.

Years
I thought it was relevant to the topic because those people on the internet want to use a nuclear weapon on Japan again, for petty reasons, which is partly why Japan is preaching for an end to nuclear weapons.

I highly doubt random trolls on the internet have anything to do with the nation's political stance on Nuclear Weaponry. That's a weird assumption.

Reactions: Her

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
I highly doubt random trolls on the internet have anything to do with the nation's political stance on Nuclear Weaponry. That's a weird assumption.

Unfortunately random trolls can vote. *cough* alt-right *cough* And there are still a lot of closeted racists in the US, who might not even be prejudiced against Japanese people specifically, but look down upon their so-called degenerate culture.

Years
Unfortunately random trolls can vote. *cough* alt-right *cough* And there are still a lot of closeted racists in the US, who might not even be prejudiced against Japanese people specifically, but look down upon their so-called degenerate culture.

I still highly doubt mean comments on reddit are having an effect on Japanese policy.

Reactions: Her
Back