• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

tales of series

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • We're long overdue on a thread for this and I don't see one around SO HERE I AM. Let's talk Tales. 8) What's your favorite entry in the series? Favorite protagonist? Side character? Villain? Do you have any merch? If so, what do you have? Add what ever else you need!

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • When it comes to the games in the Tales series, I have only played two games. The two games being Tales of Vesperia and Tales of the Abyss. As for my favorite characters, I would have to go with Judith as my number one favorite character. In fact of all the playable characters in Tales of Vesperia, my main set up once all characters are in the party is as follows:

Yuri
    Judith
    Raven
    Estellise

As for my main set up for the party in Tales of the Abyss, I think it goes like this:

Luke
    Tear
    Jade
    Natalia

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Xillia/Xillia 2 are my favorites, but Berseria is a close second. Aside from those, I've also played Symphonia, Zestiria, Vesperia, and Abyss, the latter being my first Tales game. Favorite characters (ONE IS TOO HARD LOL SORRY) are Ludger, Victor, Oscar, Raven, Eleanor, Shigure, Genis, Zelos, Dezel, Magilou... I listed Shigure twice at first omg lol.

I usually try to switch up my party, especially in the titles that have a lot of party members like Symphonia and Xillia 2. But I almost always have a healer there because...you know. Dying isn't on my agenda, lol. My set up for Berseria was usually Eleanor, Eizen, Magilou, and Laphicet.

Aaaand I have some merch too. Mostly rubber straps, but also this?? Plate my friend got me from Japan that's got Ludger and Elle on it. And I have some buttons/pins as well. And these little figures of Ludger and Elle that I usually put around a necklace chain. I have some charms made by artists too, if those count for something, haha.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Vesperia is my favorite though not originally. First time I played the game, I barely got halfway. A few years later, I decide to replay it, and was actually surprised by how great the game is. I think it was really the cast of characters that won me over. The story is so-so, and the battle system is great (of course) but I love Yuri/Estelle and the gang the most.

I have Berseria and put some hours into it, but I think I was just burnt out from coming off finishing Zestiria, that I haven't played it in over a month now.

As for merch, I do own some nice figures of Rita, Estelle, Cheria, and Alisha. All which cost me quite a penny. >_>

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Started playing the Tales series eons ago with my sisters via Symphonia, was one of the first video games we could all play together. 4 of the 5 Tales games we own, which is Symphonia, Vesperia, Abyss, Xillia, and Zestiria (and Dawn of the New World, but we don't speak of that one), I've gone all the way through with one of them.

Would like to play Berseria since I hear it's apparently better than Zestiria, but I don't have a PS4 right now and we'd need another HD TV too....

Years
  • Berseria is like 10x better than Zestiria, for sure.

I could be biased because Berseria is my favorite of the (few) Tales games I've played so far, though that might not be saying much because the only other games I've personally played are Abyss, Zestiria, and part of Legendia so far. It's been ages since I've played Abyss, so I don't remember most of that. And Legendia I only started because I realized I had a copy and never played it, and it's...okay, but I'd rather just finish it up so I can finally do an Abyss replay, heh. But yeah, Berseria. Dear god, that one actually did a bit of an emotional number on me, and left me slightly depressed for a day after I finished it just because of the realization that I was done with it, no more main story left. That usually doesn't happen with me with games.

I still have Symphonia and Xillia (and sequels) around to play. Though after seeing someone else play through them recently, and trying my best to not get spoiled too much about what happens in them (didn't quite work), it might be some time before I actually play them. But I eventually will.

I wish I could try Vesperia just because of all the rave I've heard about it, but I don't have the proper system to play it on. No 360 and I'm not sure if my PS3 would be able to run homebrew for the fan translation of the japanese version. Guess I can hope they finally release it elsewhere eventually.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Can confirm as a person that's very sour about Zestiria that Berseria is so much better.

Also, I totally forgot that I have the Alter figure of Raven lmfao. He is very beautiful. And has a swappable head for you know who. I have the Collector's Edition of Xillia 2 and Berseria, so all the loot in those too. It's hilarious that like...this time last year, I had barely any Tales merch and now I've got nearly a corkboard and shelf full, lol.

btw Jess, Bamco has stated multiple times that they're not localizing that PS3 version of Vesperia, sadly. :( I don't see the 360 version getting a rerelease on another console, either. Something that has to do with it being licensed to Microsoft? I don't know all the details.

Cordeline

7th Horizon: Märchen
    Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2021
    My favorite series!! ^_^

I would love to play them all, but so far I have only played.

Tales of Xillia
    Tales of Xillia 2
    Tales of Graces F
    Tales of the Abyss
    Tales of Symphonia
    Tales of Symphonia 2
    Tales of Vesperia
    Tales of Zestiria
    Tales of Vesperia
    Tales of Hearts R

I have also played a few Radiant Mythology ones but I'm not entirely sure if they count?

I already have Berseria and I'm ready to play it! Just gotta wait for my upcoming vacation for that though ^-^.

My absolute favorite is Xillia and the one I enjoyed the least was Vesperia. But in general they are all good. Malik and Alvin are my dream crushes.

I got into the series because I used to watch my brothers play Abyss all the time when I was little. I wasn't allowed to play the Playstation there but I watched them play through the whole storyline and I never missed a gaming session with them. It wasn't until I got my 3DS that I actually played it myself.

Also Motoi Sakuraba and Go Shiina are the main people who inspire me so much to continue playing music.

I could ramble so so so long about series because I love this series so much hahaha. I wish my friends in school got into the series as well ^^;

btw Jess, Bamco has stated multiple times that they're not localizing that PS3 version of Vesperia, sadly. :( I don't see the 360 version getting a rerelease on another console, either. Something that has to do with it being licensed to Microsoft? I don't know all the details.

This makes me sad because I think one thing that could help save the game for me would be Patty. It really feels like Vesperia is an incomplete game and on top of it all there's no characters I really like from that cast ><.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • You didn't like the Vesperia cast? That's almost shocking! General consensus among the fandom seems to be that Vesperia is one of the best games and the cast is pretty likable and such. But to each their own, of course! I definitely agree about Patty though -- and don't forget Flynn! I mean, at least he's still in the game, but it's not to the same extent as the PS3 version. Patty is adorable, though. I would have loved to have had her in the 360 version. :( Her big Yuri crush is great. lol

Cordeline

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2021
    I didn't really like the cast. Yuri reminded me to a boy from my school who is always talking about "revolutions". Estelle felt like a Collette copy-cat and I think she would have been fine if she wasn't clumsy, and that would have made her more interesting. I think I didn't like Karol was because he was very coward-ish (if I can put it that way)? I don't remember much about Raven and Judith but they were never particularly interesting. Flynn was like the opposite of Yuri, always being VERY right and correct.

I don't really like the contrast between Yuri and Flynn even if they are childhood friends. I'd much rather have characters that have a middle ground between their "ideologies" (if we can call them that) than the extremes they had.

Repede was all-righty though ^-^. And Rita was so-so.

Not everything about the game was so bad. The graphics were really good and it has one of my favorite towns in any Tales game (Dahngrest). [POSSIBLE VESPERIA SPOILERS AHEAD - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME AND ARE PLANNING TO]. I also really liked the way the final boss presented himself from time to time and how he helped the cast sometimes until it was revealed that he was the "bad guy".

I'd be on board to see Patty have a crush on Yuri! Too bad that might never happen :(

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Aww, darn real life people ruining characters. :P But Karol being a coward was part of his development! And I mean, he's only 12. Makes sense for him to be afraid, really. I don't feel like they go over that point as much as they should with their younger characters, really. And I'm totally biased here since I love Raven, but you didn't remember the Schwann thing or any of that? :( But I'll give you fair game and say Judith was pretty bland for me. I absolutely love her design, though!

Duke was a good antagonist though, definitely! I like that Tales villains get me to thinking a bit...for the most part. I still don't like Bisley at all, but Gaius from the first Xillia had me like "damn.....are u even a real villain tho...." aha. I actually brought him up as a point in my writing class in college when I had just finished that game.

Oh, and I don't??? Get the Flynn/Yuri thing much either? I feel like I would understand their relationship more if I had played the PS3 version, but you miss a lot with those extra bits out of the 360 version. They're a popular ship too and I just don't see that either.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I never cared for Karol much really. Him and Sorey are the only two out of the Tales games I've played so far that were so meh to me. I can understand though why Cordeline sees Estelle as a Colette copy, there is a lot of similarities.

Raven and Rita are bae tho

Cordeline

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2021
    Aww, darn real life people ruining characters. :P But Karol being a coward was part of his development! And I mean, he's only 12. Makes sense for him to be afraid, really. I don't feel like they go over that point as much as they should with their younger characters, really. And I'm totally biased here since I love Raven, but you didn't remember the Schwann thing or any of that? :( But I'll give you fair game and say Judith was pretty bland for me. I absolutely love her design, though!

Duke was a good antagonist though, definitely! I like that Tales villains get me to thinking a bit...for the most part. I still don't like Bisley at all, but Gaius from the first Xillia had me like "damn.....are u even a real villain tho...." aha. I actually brought him up as a point in my writing class in college when I had just finished that game.

Oh, and I don't??? Get the Flynn/Yuri thing much either? I feel like I would understand their relationship more if I had played the PS3 version, but you miss a lot with those extra bits out of the 360 version. They're a popular ship too and I just don't see that either.

I think I'm used to the other young characters NOT being cowards hahaha. Genis is also 12 and he is the one who always visited his friend in the human ranch and arguably he is the reason the whole Iselia thing happened. Presea (I think she was 13ish?) was nothing less than strong. Elize (12) was very shy, but she always knew how to defend herself and even when to defend her companions, like the first time she actually joins your party as a playable character.

Sadly I don't remember the Schwann thing ><. I have many details of the storyline fuzzy.

Gaius is aweeesome. I love him. Not as much as I love Alvin or Malik, but probably as much as I love Rowen (which is a lot hahaha). He and Muzet are a very good pair! And Muzet was a very funny character on her own! What did you write about him, if I can ask? o:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I mean, I'm not saying that the younger characters can't be brave, but it made more sense that Karol was obviously scared. I mean, think about it: these aren't situations most children get in. Granted, even the characters in their teens and early 20's are still rather young for a lot of what goes on, but the characters that are 10 - 14 you would especially think they would be, especially considering they do end up killing people. Which they do kind of go over that point with Luke in Abyss (who is technically 7) at the very least, but hey.

Rowen is amazing and totally underrated as a character ahhhh. I have a friend who absolutely adores him. Biggest Rowen fan I know, haha. And my writing class was just creative writing, basically. Fiction, non-fiction, things of that nature. :)

Also side note, I don't like Sorey much either, Nah. I don't hate him either, but? I just. He...meh? I guess he's too peppy for me? I dunno.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Zestiria starts off really strong, but falls flat rather quickly. I feel like the whole "Malevolence" plot device was just badly used too. The cast was okay, I guess. They're not bad just not really compelling outside of battle. I thought Rose was alright until that DLC episode where she starts acting like an ass to Alisha, lol. Plus, the whole fiasco with Alisha supposedly being the main heroine than being replace by Rose. Just a messy in game in general. I did enjoy the soundtrack though, and I hear the anime is quite good so is there is that.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    The series is kind of a mixed bag for me so far. Granted, I only played three games: beat Phantasia a couple times, tried to beat Eternia but ultimately gave up on it because I just couldn't stand it anymore, and Berseria which seems pretty good so far.

Fav characters so far: Klarth, Suzu from Phantasia and Eizen from Berseria. At the same time I think the entire Eternia cast is trash <_<

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I am here for Tales always.

My favorite is Symphonia followed really closely by Vesperia. I just want to throw out really quick that the 360 version of the game does a really bad job of really explaining and showing Yuri's and Flynn's relationship. I could go further but tbh no one cares I'm sure but the PS3 definitely shows it a lot better. That and Patty are two of many reasons why I am probably never going to touch the 360 version honestly.

Also I will fight anyone who dislike Karol because he was a coward at first because he is downright the one with the best characterization in the game. Honestly probably the only one who really got full characterization because chapter 3 certainly made it ????? for some of them yuri. First two chapters are great but the third chapter is why Symphonia is still my favorite out of the Tales of Series.

My least favorite would honestly have to be the Xillias. I like Xillia 2 a bit more but xillia.... oooh how i had to force myself to finish playing it before moving onto Xillia 2. And I never even beat Milla's side only Jude. The writing just made it really hard for me to get into it even though I don't really dislike any of the characters. But I do dislike Jude/Milla because of said writing.

Favorite characters are Yuri, Mithos, and Natalia ♥

This reminds me that I do need to finish Berseria. Even though I haven't beaten it though I'd have to say it ranks as my third fav shoving Abyss out of that spot. Sorry Abyss.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • *crashes through the door*

DID SOMEONE SAY ONE OF MY FAVORITE VIDEO GAME SERIES EVER?

granted i've only ever played phantasia, symphonia and a bit of destiny but they're still very good. and i didn't beat symphonia or phantasia bc i tend to be awful at those games but! i still do enjoy them very much even if i don't own the games currently for one reason or another.

my favorite character is probably colette to be honest, she is pure and clumsy like me, sort of. not much else i can say since i didn't beat the games. also if anyone posts spoilers can you pls tag them ^^; thats all i have to say about the series, bc although it is one of my favorite video game series despite not beating it, i have not much to say :c

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • The series is kind of a mixed bag for me so far. Granted, I only played three games: beat Phantasia a couple times, tried to beat Eternia but ultimately gave up on it because I just couldn't stand it anymore, and Berseria which seems pretty good so far.

Fav characters so far: Klarth, Suzu from Phantasia and Eizen from Berseria. At the same time I think the entire Eternia cast is trash <_<

I think that's because of what you've played. Granted, I haven't played Phantasia or Eternia, but from hanging around the fandom, those two don't seem to be fan favorites by any means. Phantasia isn't hated, but I never see anyone talk about Eternia lol. I see generally positive things about Destiny, Symphonia, Abyss, Vesperia, Graces, and the Xillias.

My least favorite would honestly have to be the Xillias. I like Xillia 2 a bit more but xillia.... oooh how i had to force myself to finish playing it before moving onto Xillia 2. And I never even beat Milla's side only Jude. The writing just made it really hard for me to get into it even though I don't really dislike any of the characters. But I do dislike Jude/Milla because of said writing.

I generally like almost every Tales ship you can throw at me, but I don't like Jumilla for this either. It felt really forced and just...bleh. I think the writing for their relationship in Xillia 2 was even worse. ;( And third-wheeling poor Ludger, lol. idk I just saw them as a very strong platonic thing...why can't we have those... :')

Also definitely agree about Karol. He arguably changes the most through Vesperia, along with Raven. And don't get me started on their relationship and The Don and just. Man. Raven plz adopt this boi.

*crashes through the door*

DID SOMEONE SAY ONE OF MY FAVORITE VIDEO GAME SERIES EVER?

why are we not friends

Back