• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Need some recommendations!

Years
  • I am pretty burnt out on the games I have for the Switch and I need something to sink some hours into until the new Pokemon games come out. I will take any recommendations here! Some games I already have for the Switch that I don't have any interest in right now are, Pokemon Shield, BotW, FE Three Houses, MH Rise, and MH Stories 2. Thank you in advance for any replies!

Years
  • Super Mario Odyssey and the remastered Crash Bandicoot games (the 'Nsane Trilogy comes together) are great fun if you're interested in platformers.

A bunch of the older Final Fantasy Games are available (VII, VIII, IX, X and X-2) if you're looking for a turn-based JRP with great writing (well mostly great writing rip X-2 from what I hear). There's also Zodiac Age and Crystal Chronicles but I don't know shit about those.

The Coma Recut is solid if you're looking for something horror but it's pretty short.

I haven't played any of these myself, but I've heard nothing but good things about Ace Attorney, Octopath Traveller and NTWEY (all very different games).

Years
  • Super Mario Odyssey and the remastered Crash Bandicoot games (the 'Nsane Trilogy comes together) are great fun if you're interested in platformers.

A bunch of the older Final Fantasy Games are available (VII, VIII, IX, X and X-2) if you're looking for a turn-based JRP with great writing (well mostly great writing rip X-2 from what I hear). There's also Zodiac Age and Crystal Chronicles but I don't know shit about those.

The Coma Recut is solid if you're looking for something horror but it's pretty short.

I haven't played any of these myself, but I've heard nothing but good things about Ace Attorney, Octopath Traveller and NTWEY (all very different games).

I always forget about Octopath! I actually have it downloaded even! Super Mario and Crash would be good to look into as well since my GF likes Crash as well.

I have never actually played a Final Fantasy game, do you need to play them in order? If not I will look into those and the other games you mentioned as well, thank you!

pkmin3033

You can't go wrong with Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition if you haven't played that yet.

I'd also point you in the direction of Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana as well, it's a pretty fantastic and fast-paced action RPG with an engaging dual-aspected narrative (mostly from Adol's perspective, although you also get to play through past segments as Dana) and a world that rewards you for exploring the world in a very satisfying way; the more Adventure Gear you acquire through plot progression and island castaways you find (also through plot progression, although you'll need to explore to find all of them) the more of the map you'll be able to explore, and it has a very nice little compendium that just begs to be completed. You don't need to have played the other games in the series as they're all relatively self-contained (there are a couple of recurring characters, but they're more cameos than anything else) and if you enjoy that there's Ys IX: Monstrum Nox to consider as well. You could play Monstrum Nox first if you wanted, in fact.

If you want something more engaging than Fire Emblem I'd suggest giving the Disgaea series a look-in - my personal recommendation would be 4, but if you'd rather have a less humorous narrative then I'd suggest 5 instead (I think 5 might have a demo on the eShop for the matter, so it could be a good place to start regardless) and if you don't have the time/patience for grinding, 6 has auto-battle and auto-repeat features, so you can leave your Switch on idle and it'll do it for you...which might sound like it defeats the purpose of the game (and to an extent it does) but it's a thoughtful addition nonetheless. Because Disgaea is all about grinding. There are a lot of systems and stats in this one that'll keep you busy if that's your thing.

If you're a fan of Zelda you might want to think about giving Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition a try, it's an amazing love letter to the franchise that will keep you busy for a very long time if you plan on doing everything. It's good for short play sessions but it has more than enough content and a satisfying gameplay loop to keep you going for longer if you'd rather play for extended amounts of time, and it's easily the best Warriors option on the Switch right now as far as I'm concerned...unless you're a huge fan of the 3DS era Fire Emblem titles and don't mind moveset clones, in which case pick up Fire Emblem Warriors. If you want to get back into BOTW at some stage or were sufficiently invested in what is presented there then there's always Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity to consider, which acts as a...continuation of sorts to the narrative, only with a different style of gameplay.

For something that might be outside of your comfort zone I'd recommend looking at the Atelier franchise - pretty much all of the games from the last decade or so are on Switch now, and you have four immediate jumping-on points in Rorona, Ayesha, Sophie, and Ryza. The first three all start a trilogy, and Ryza is the most recent and has a sequel. The games are on a lighter side of things in terms of the narrative stakes (focusing more on character goals and interactions rather than standard-issue "save the world" fare) and there is a heavier emphasis on item crafting/synthesis than combat, although the synthesis mechanics differ between each game, which is pretty great: you won't get the same experience twice. You can start from anywhere but they are chronological in their respective trilogies so it's best to start from the beginning. Whilst Rorona/Totori/Meruru is my personal favourite, I'd recommend Ayesha for newcomers as a start point. Be warned that Lydie/Suelle wasn't dubbed so if you start with Sophie and get attached to the voice cast it'll be a bit jarring to have no dub for the third game, and Ryza wasn't dubbed at all. There's also Nelke, but that's a town sim management crossover that you won't get much out of without being familiar with pretty much all of the games and then some.

If you're interested in Final Fantasy, just pick the one that looks most appealing to you - ask a dozen different people and you'll get a dozen different opinions on which is the best and the worst. Asides from X-2, they're all self-contained titles, so you can start from wherever you fancy. For what it's worth, I'd say XII is easily the best one.

Finally (for the moment) Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth Complete Edition is well worth your time and your money. You're getting two games in one, and the gameplay in both is ridiculously addicting. The improvements made in Hacker's Memory (the second game) have been implemented in the first game too, so it's a much more enjoyable experience than it was on the Vita because of it. Once you finish both you'll be able to transfer your Digimon between them too, which is a nice touch. But being able to digivolve and de-digivolve your team (and you'll need/want to do this a lot to unlock higher evolution levels and particular skills) gives you so much more flexibility than you'll find in either Pokemon or Monster Hunter Stories 2 (as the two most comparable titles you've played that I know of, although a lot of people compare this to SMT/Persona in terms of gameplay) and if you're interested in team building you will probably enjoy this a lot, especially if you can find people online to play with, because it has online PvP. Narrative-wise I personally found the first game to have severe pacing issues and the second to be fantastic for its more character-focused story, but your mileage may vary.

...that's just off the top of my head.

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2022
    What kind of game are you looking for? Are you more interested in story or gameplay? If you prioritise plot I'd recommend visual novels, the Switch has a couple of really good ones like Ace Attorney, Gnosia, The House in Fata Morgana, etc. For gameplay I've heard really good things about Hades and Hollow Knight for roguelikes (not my cup of tea personally, they're too hard haha) and Final Fantasy, although which one specifically I couldn't say. I'm playing FFXII and I enjoy the battle system but I know lots of people hated it, so my tastes are kind of weird lol.

Years
  • What kind of game are you looking for? Are you more interested in story or gameplay? If you prioritise plot I'd recommend visual novels, the Switch has a couple of really good ones like Ace Attorney, Gnosia, The House in Fata Morgana, etc. For gameplay I've heard really good things about Hades and Hollow Knight for roguelikes (not my cup of tea personally, they're too hard haha) and Final Fantasy, although which one specifically I couldn't say. I'm playing FFXII and I enjoy the battle system but I know lots of people hated it, so my tastes are kind of weird lol.

I am down to give any games a shot! I have watched the Game Grumps play Ace Attorney and it looks pretty entertaining as well.

Asides from X-2, they're all self-contained titles

This is good to know, I never knew they were all (for the most part) self-contained so it always seemed like a lot go get into. Thank you for you suggestions, I haven't played any that you suggested so I have a lot of videos to watch!

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Liked Rune Factory 4 Special. Describes it as a farming simulation game with a fair focus on real-time combat. Meets a handful of townfolk in the game. Permits you to tame nearly any monster in the game (including some bosses, with the right item).

Asks a question, as well: how do these soil stats make you feel?
    Rune Factory 4 Soil Stats.png

Would not call it a numbers-heavy game. Speaks as someone very comfortable with numbers, however.

Years
  • Not to be that guy, but the Gamer Obscurea thread I started and update now and then with some obscure titles might be handy.

Though if the list is over bearing; I recommend Loria if your into RTS. Stubbs the Zombie if your looking for something unique in a reverse role or Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicle. The latter especially if you just want t o sink time in getting your gear up to fight the apocalypse.

Of course if your looking for an RPG, I recomm3end the Grandia Series, either 1 or 2.

Otherwise, if your looking for a game that is KINDA like pokemon to sink some time into with training or fusing, I highly recommend Azure Dreams for the PS1 and work your way up to a SOLID GOLD HOUSE... I'm not even joking, in the PS1 copy of the game, if you act as a proper monster tamer and work your way up in gold, you can upgrade your home into a solid gold house, with a solid gold pool, bath and etc. It's kinda hilarious but also kinda kick-ass-awesome!

Ace Trainer Slash

If you give me about two hours, I can make scripts
    Years
  • Might I be able to recommend Dragon Quest XI S for Switch?

First off, at least from my experience with JRPGS, it's like the best one I've ever played aside Pokemon Black/White and EarthBound, no joke. In particular, the best parts are the first and second acts, which are literally perfect in pacing, how they are written and the kind of themes they discuss. It's extremely well done. However, the third act although having a lot of content drags for a long time and acts like a 'post-game' which aims to stretch out the story a bit. Only play it if you don't mind a lot of battling and you really want to experience the rest of the story, which isn't paramount to enjoying the game.

The gameplay is very traditional turn-based combat which you would see more commonly in something like Pokemon. In fact, Pokemon was actually inspired by the combat system seen in the earlier entries of the series. Another thing to note is it's quite an easy JRPG, it was my first entry in the series and I beat the normal mode dying about 2 or three times throughout the 100 hour campaign. It also has a lot of extra features that can make the game harder if that's what you're interested in e.g. Stronger monsters in the overworld, game over if the protagonist dies in combat like a Persona, banning use of equippable armor etc.

Other than that, it's story and characters are portrayed incredibly well. Each of the characters are extremely likeable too. Personally Rab (has quite a sad backstory), the protagonist (even though he's mute like other JRPG protagonists, the lore behind him is done really well and he goes through a lot of personal stuff in the game without needing to say anything, which was well done) and Sylvando are among my favourites, (especially Sylvando literally the best character in the game). It features a well-written story about grief, loss and forgiveness. The game, especially in the midst of Act 2 can become pretty depressing though, not because it's bad, but because of the kind of stuff the characters go through being genuinely quite sad.

I never mentioned the environments. Stunning! They look really good, especially on the Switch, amongst said environments being incredibly varied. The overworld you traverse feels very realistic in terms of proportions of trees, buildings, grass etc., but still has a sophisticated fantasy element to it. Strictly the ambient symphonic soundtrack of the game is quite good too, but it lacks variance in how the same town theme is used over and over again and the battle themes aren't that good in my opinion (well, at least in comparison to something like Pokemon Black/White's soundtrack the battle themes aren't good). Other than all that though, fantastic game please play it and tell me what you think!

I also suggest the Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past if you got SNES Online, it's an old game, but the dungeon design is very, very good. If this is anything to go by, I've put more time into Lttp compared to Breath of the Wild (which I think is a good game still) if that's an indication of it's quality.

Now, this game isn't necessarily considered the best thing ever, but one of my favourite comfort games on the Switch is Kirby Star Allies. In comparison to other Kirby games like Super Star, Robobot and Adventure it's not necessarily the most creative or well designed from a critical perspective, but I really like it for it's simplicity. It's a series of very, very, very easy levels with some nice hidden secrets, some ok minigames and like the best part of it Guest Star Allies, where you go through a truncated version of the game with any of the characters (excluding most of the bosses). Also, if you're wanting a more difficult experience, there is the 'Heroes in Another Dimension Campaign' which features some actually challenging level design and genuinely difficult boss fights. However, the game is very short, and it's best played with others via local multiplayer (now you see I never really had anyone to play it with, but I enjoyed it single-player regardless). The game was designed around multiplayer, so it helps if you have someone with you to beat it. I was in a really dark place last year and this game despite the flack it gets really helped me to cope because of it's simple, fun mechanics.

.hack

skunkape
    Years
  • Monster Crown, Monster Sanctuary, Nexomon all pokemon inspired and worth a go.

Digimon Cyber slueth complete edition is great and on the switch too if you've never tried that!

As to your Final fantasy question before you do not need to play them in order at all, start with whichever one (if any) most catches your eye!

Back