• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Competitive] Are you interested in playing Pokémon competitively?

Harmonie

Winds ღ
Years
  • Nope. Not only is - the last time I checked - acquiring and raising Pokemon properly to be competitive a horrendous grind, I'm just not interested in that kind of battle at all. I play Pokemon to relax. I also find it sad when people determine value in a Pokemon by stats and all instead of its design, but to each their own.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Pokémon Showdown is 100% free.
    pretty sure that by online membership they mean NSO, and that they're willing to make use of Showdown because it's free, but not engage in online battles on cartridge because it requires money

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • pretty sure that by online membership they mean NSO, and that they're willing to make use of Showdown because it's free, but not engage in online battles on cartridge because it requires money

Ah, I see. In that case, it definitely makes more sense to replace "but" with "because."

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • There are some games that I just 'get', (like the badge system in Paper Mario for example. I'm REALLY good at that) but when it comes
    to competitive pokemon, I just can't wrap my head around it. (not to mention my huge preference for double & triple battles over
    traditional single battles means I'd need to do even more team comp planning)
    I did have a really good time going through Leon's battle tower thing (double battle format) in Shield though.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • No. I have no real interest in multiplayer, and I like playing single player with team restrictions that would get me crushed in an actual competitive match against someone who isn't following the same restrictions.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I have no desire what so ever. And will never be interested. It feels too much like work and that is not why I want to play pokemon.
    EV/IV stuff is annoying to get. Then you have to breed so much and have very specific things. Then raise pokemon a specific way. It is just too much to do and I will never be interested in it.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    They've slowly been cutting the grind out of raising Pokemon for years, to the point where as of Scarlet/Violet it's relatively easy to get a Pokemon all ready for battle. Now all they need to do really is make it so the Ability Patch can be more easily obtained (instead of a RNG reward from high level Tera Raids) and make resetting EVs easy.

You still have to grind for the money to buy vitamins/mints/Mirror Herb/Ability Capsule/Bottle Caps, but that's infinitely easier than having to breed or engage in battle facilities to get BP or EV train the old-fashioned way like we used to.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • They've slowly been cutting the grind out of raising Pokemon for years, to the point where as of Scarlet/Violet it's relatively easy to get a Pokemon all ready for battle. Now all they need to do really is make it so the Ability Patch can be more easily obtained (instead of a RNG reward from high level Tera Raids) and make resetting EVs easy.

You still have to grind for the money to buy vitamins/mints/Mirror Herb/Ability Capsule/Bottle Caps, but that's infinitely easier than having to breed or engage in battle facilities to get BP or EV train the old-fashioned way like we used to.

Love this answer right here. So true! Great post.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • I also agree with Nah's post. This is the first Generation where even someone with 0 expertise in setting up a 'perfect team' (I'm talking about me here)
    Can easily get a full party of 6 perfect IV/perfect EV pokemon without that much of a hassle. Hell, I've got a team of 5 that I use for Tera Raids.
    I can't imagen it would be all that hard to get into competitive pokemon when the barrier to entry in this Gen is so low.
    The only thing that might stop someone from trying now is learning the meta.

Years
    • Seen yesterday

And you also have to grind 50 Shards for any Pokémon that you want to change its Tera-type. Game Freak loves grinding and will allways implement it for one thing or another, so if you no longer need to grind for A you now can grind for B, which will allow you to do A...

Granted there have been some nice QoL and improvements in this area, and the grind is less time consuming, but so is the patience and time on average that players will be willing to spend on grindy game tasks.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • And you also have to grind 50 Shards for any Pokémon that you want to change its Tera-type. Game Freak loves grinding and will allways implement it for one thing or another, so if you no longer need to grind for A you now can grind for B, which will allow you to do A...

Granted there have been some nice QoL and improvements in this area, and the grind is less time consuming, but so is the patience and time on average that players will be willing to spend on grindy game tasks.

You can get Tera Shards pretty easily though by playing a lot of high-level Tera Raids. The best part about the Tera Type gimmick is that it is the most "optional" gimmick to use in battle compared to others. You can still win several battles without it, and Pokémon using their natural Tera Type is perfectly fine as well, as much of the time, all it really takes is a damage boost to turn the tide of a battle. I would say that, so far, this is the least grindy Pokémon game we got regarding competitive.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    You can get Tera Shards pretty easily though by playing a lot of high-level Tera Raids.

Precisely.

High level raids drop more Shards, but they're hard enough for players to want to go for max/nearly max levels, or some even raising Pokémon specifically to beat those Raids.

3/4 Stars Raids are far more accessible, but only grant two or three Shards each, and you have to look and wait for the specific Tera type Raids you want to spawn (unless you mess with the console clock or something)

Back