• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fan Fiction / Rewrites

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
  • Barring Pokemon, if you could rewrite the events of any one series from any platform (movie, book, television, video game, etc.), what would it be and where do you think you would be most interested in starting your revision? And also, what do you think it is about Pokemon that makes it so popular among fan fiction writers? What about your chosen series makes it not so?

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
    Years
  • I don't want to say rewrite, because that would imply that I think the original storyline isn't good enough for me, but I would definitely love to add to or create my own story in Wakfu's world (based off the series and game). The universe that the creators have built feels so vibrant and interesting, I can't stop fantasizing about different stories I could have in their world. In the same way, I think that's the reason Pokémon fanfiction is so popular - the world feels real, alive and massive. With all of the regions, Pokémon, and characters, there's so many stories to be told, and none of them would be the same (unless the writer makes a deliberate effort to parody the games/anime/manga).

MyFavoriteWordisRollerBlade

CrystalLip (on fanfiction.net)
    Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2017
    Hmm, what series would I rewrite?

Swords Art Online, for sure. I was in love with the anime since the first episode (before it became popular at my school and local hangouts). After the honeymoon phase settled down, I was satisfied with the incredibly fast pacing of it all. I wish that it was a lot slower and took more time to go through different story arcs (floor-by-floor) and explore the setting and situation more. I realize the main plot is them getting out of the game, though, rather than surviving and coming to terms with themselves, each other, and the world.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    I kind of feel like this topic was made for me, because my current--and largest--project is a rewrite of the second Digimon anime series. Though the season is my favorite out of all of them (not for quality reasons, but because I just absolutely love the six adorable human misfits and their monster buddies that are the main characters), I will readily admit that the plot is a mess and could have been given a little more care. That's what I hope to do with my rewrite of it: give the six adorable misfits* a wild ride that's coherent.

My rewrite begins right at the same point that the canon does. Both stories start right at the beginning of April 2002, the first day of school for the characters. Mine ends months sooner compared to the canon (August 2002 as compared to January 2003), unless I count the fifth book of the series. But I don't know when that ends.

As for Pokemon fanfiction? I think the main draw is just how open it is to exploration. Fans can write stories about any part of the world and it will make sense. Original trainer fics offers a wide variety. There are original trainers that get gym badges, original trainers that somehow save the world, original trainers that fall in love with a canon character. Or there's even human-turned-into-Pokemon stories. That fits Mystery Dungeon fics, humans randomly turning into Pokemon in the regular canon world, or Pokémorphs.

There's even a variety of canon worlds to explore, each with their own rules and ideas. The anime world, the various games, the various manga...even Pokemon in the "real world" that we live in. There's not just one part of Pokemon to write about. Fans can write about anything that's vaguely related to Pokemon and it'll fit the fandom.

That's why it's so popular with writers. There's so much to explore through writing that everyone can find something to catch their imagination.

*My story actually has one additional adorable human misfit with her own monster buddy. They wormed their way in and I'm okay with that.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • I kind of feel like this topic was made for me, because my current--and largest--project is a rewrite of the second Digimon anime series. Though the season is my favorite out of all of them (not for quality reasons, but because I just absolutely love the six adorable human misfits and their monster buddies that are the main characters), I will readily admit that the plot is a mess and could have been given a little more care. That's what I hope to do with my rewrite of it: give the six adorable misfits* a wild ride that's coherent.
    I've said it before, but I really want to read this. >_>

Digimon Adventure 02 is also the first one that comes to mind for me. It's certainly not as close to my heart as it is to Asty's, but when the character of the Digimon Emperor/Kaiser is at his best I almost wish it were. Almost. Loads of plotholes, hole arcs that just fall flat, and the crest assignment is absurd IMO (crests are a Digimon thing that I won't get into here). It really needs a complete overhaul, but Asty's more the one to do it than me because you need some serious love for that kind of endeavor.

Aside from that, I'd rewrite Final Fantasy VII and VIII; VIII moreso. There are some terrific ideas at the cores of each--especially VII--but execution is lacking. Lot of things need to make more sense, and most critically in VIII Squall's development and his romance with Rinoa needs a lot of work. They rely too much on bonkers not-really-time-travel stuff to add gravitas to their love story when what they really needed was to give them more believable chemistry.

There is a remake of FFVII coming up of course (someday), but my main worry is that they'll leave the plot points intact while most of the changes go to the graphics, gameplay, and tone. If I were in charge I'd actually leave those latter 3 almost unchanged and instead rework the plot and polish up the translation.

Any rewrite I do for anything would be from scratch, btw. I think if you're going to rewrite someone else's work, it's best to explicitly make the entire thing your own take on their original story rather than do a subtle patch job. That way the original remains the original and yours remains yours and credit is less ambiguous.

EDIT: almost forgot; the reason I write Pokemon is basically the same as other posters have given. It's such a rich, expansive world that just begs for new stories to be added to it. Heck, you could write at least a short story on any of hundreds of Pokemon evolution lines and find something new to say every time. And by this point most of the official media is just professional fanfiction anyway, so it feels less like you're stepping on any specific creator's toes by taking aspects of the canon(s) in your own direction.

Last edited:

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I'd also like to rewrite parts of Digimon at some point. I know with Time Police I'll be venturing into the Frontier season of it, but I think at some point, after I do some research and gather the energy necessary, I'd like to rewrite Savers or Tamers (which is my favorite, but I think there are some points that could be better if only slightly). I really enjoyed the card battle game for the PS1 so I've always thought that maybe I could write something about that as well, but who knows.

Back