• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which were the best games AT THE TIME?

Which set of games was the most fun to play for the first time?

• Red/Blue/Yellow

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Gold/Silver/Crystal

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • FireRed/LeafGreen

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Diamond/Pearl/Platinum

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • HeartGold/SoulSilver

Votes: 2 3.9%

• Total voters

Vulpes bicaudata

Charmander Fanboy
Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2011
    Which set of games was the most fun to play for the first time? It's not necessarily the same as which set of games is the best, you see. For example, the innovation of the first games can outweigh the technical superiority of later games.

Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2011
    A close call between RBY and RSE.
    But I spent most of my time on RSE, so I'm going with that.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
  • Platinum was the most fun the first time around for me. I played it before RSE, and there was just so much to do compared to the Go Here, Do This, Move On elements of RBY and GSC.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2011
    Emerald definately. Because it fun to meddle with 2 different evil teams.Not to mention the battle frontier.

Last edited:

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • G/S/C wins both. Best game IMO, and best game at the time. That game was epic win for me. lol.

c3rad

Grass-Type user
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2012
    This one's a toughie for me.

I'd say Red because that was my first pokemon experience. Not to mention that the formula hasn't changed much.

However, I played Ruby at an age that I could understand it much better. Back when I played Red I was the only one who really played it all that much. RSE brought a competitive aspect to the table, my friends and I would have entire tournaments sent up.

So basically RBY and RSE are very much a tie.

Years
  • Is it me or is the nostalgia slowly inching up to RSE now? A few months ago RSE would have failed in this poll.

As for me, I can't really say a favorite, all I know is that the 4th generation games felt a bit outdated when they were released. DPPt suffers from this more than HGSS.

empty streets

Ace trainer ★
    Years
  • Oops, I didn't understand the question when I saw the thread and voted for HGSS Before reading the first post..

So I change my mind and vote for R/S/E! I was sooooo excited when I played those 0_0

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
  • GSC. those games just had it all good pokemon, great storyline, and even great graphics for the time (I actually like them better than the ds ones).

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    I think somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd gens was the highest point in my Pokemon fandom. I think there was the most anticipation brewing as both of them came out, and the most memories (that I can still actually remember) are tied to them. After that, my brother (the one person I could have played with until only recently) outgrew Pokemon and I started phasing into other obsessions even though I stayed a fan.

Gold and Silver were the first video games that I recall looking up stuff about online before they were localized. The Japanese names of the Pokemon that were up on those sites still echo in my head when I see them.

Me and my brother played make believe IRL Pokemon adventures with our Pikachu plushes and various other toys, and it was what we did the most during the time between just before 2nd gen and just after 3rd gen, when he outgrew it and I started blending my Pokemon fandom with other things. Then Pokemon was kind of pushed to the sidelines for a while due to other priorities and stuff. I had Diamond and loved it but it was Platinum and my friend Lily that rekindled my inner Pokefan, and later my boyfriend when we got HGSS together just like I did with my brother in the old days.

Dang. Long post is long. >.>

tl;dr - GSC + RSE for me <3

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • Is it me or is the nostalgia slowly inching up to RSE now? A few months ago RSE would have failed in this poll.

As for me, I can't really say a favorite, all I know is that the 4th generation games felt a bit outdated when they were released. DPPt suffers from this more than HGSS.

well, it is almost 7 years since their release, a long long time.
    RSE is my choice. I spent most of my time on them, liked them..

I rermember vividly he ride home from the shop clutching my brand new GBA and copy of ruby a couple of days after the release.

even if no-one else does, i believe that RSE are the vital games to the success of the series.

chickenofunity

Confused Chicken
    Years
  • I played Blue and Yellow, but even though I had'nt played any later times at the time, I found them outdated, and the graphics annoyed me. RSE was my favourite, it's graphics were so much better, and I actually bought all in the series cus I liked them so much. I later lost Emerald, but they still to me are the best games, and were definitly at the time.

Eeohnex

Illuminate
    Years
  • Since G/S/C were my first Gen. to play the Pokémon games, those three really mean something to me, specially Crystal. But with the remakes of Gold and Silver, I'm definitely sticking with HG/SS. It brought back some good memories and they have sentimental value to me.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Gold and Silver, I'd say.

I started with Yellow, and moved on to Red/Blue. And they were good, everything was novel, and I learned what a Pokémon game was about.

Then Gold/Silver came out. An entirely new region filled with old favourites and interesting new Pokémon (and some stupid ones, of course - I've never like Unown, for one). It was a different story, but a continuation to the previous generation. There was a bit more to do and see (Headbutt/Whirlpool/Bug Catching Contest/etc.), but not so much that I felt I was being bombarded by it all. And on top of all that, Kanto was in there as well! True, it may have been shrunk a little, but little of value was lost, and much of it was modified so that it was all new again.

For the time, Gold/Silver were the best. Ruby/Sapphire were certainly good too - they improved the story part of the game, introduced new dynamics to raising Pokémon and so forth, and of course had better graphics. They come in at a close second, and I suspect the dislike was mainly (solely?) because of the lack of compatibility with the older gens.

I like the retro feel of the early generations. It was simple and clean, and not cluttered up with contests and ribbons and Undergrounds and Battle Towers and all that nonsense (most of which I never looked at because, I'll admit, I used ROMs). The minimal story was good, because it allowed you to explore a little and it only gave you a vague prod in the right direction. The story nowadays feels far too imposing, and far too much of it paints you as the friend of all living things, the Mary Sue hero in this very nice world that's somehow troubled by those two Team Generic grunts standing at one of the town entrances. When Team Rocket took over Goldenrod, they were all over the place and the townsfolk had gone. It's just not the same.

I'm not considering the second gen remakes in this, partly because I haven't played them (my ROM crashes after 31 events, and it's horrible having to save/reset every two minutes, so I've just given up), partly because remakes never have the same impact as the originals (they may be better - rarely - but they don't have the impact), and because there's loads of fiddly little extras in it that make me feel I'm missing out on half the game for not doing them all.

I don't like "one game for the price of two" things, but at least in the early gens the only downside to having just one of the versions was a few missing entries in the Pokédex (which otherwise would still be mostly full) - nowadays, not only is it nearly impossible to complete the Dex anyway thanks to all the trading and events required and so forth, there's all these other features I'm not interested in but feel I'm missing out on because they're there. I'd like to have a complete game when I buy it, and to be able to experience the entire game at my leisure. I could do that with the early gens.

Anything past the third gen (that includes all remakes) doesn't deserve consideration here. By now, the fanbase has way too make expectations for the series, and it'll never live up to them. The new games just won't be as good as people were hoping, and therefore won't have any impact other than "oh, I see Pokémon has a new generation out now". Way back after the first gen, when there were rumours of a sequel, we didn't know what to expect, which made it all the more fun to find out about gen 2. Nowadays everyone expects backwards compatibility, so Gen 5 will have it, which means it can't deviate too much from the basic format (battling and Pokémon-wise, at least), which means we know what to expect. And that's not as fun.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • Gold/Silver/Crystal, and especially Crystal. Just FYI, these weren't the first ones I played (Red/Blue/Yellow ftw), but they were such a quantum leap over the first gen that it's ridiculous. I mean, day and night, good coloring (the coloring in Yellow sucked), fantastic phone/time features, epically challenging but not impossible legendaries, a remotely interesting rival, and in Crystal they animated every single Pokemon in the battle introductions. Getting all 251 of those suckers animated on a GBC ROM was an astounding feat in itself. Oh, and I almost forgot: TWO REGIONS. 16 BADGES. Just so much more to do in that game compared to RBY, and when you consider all the features that they took out when moving on to RSE, I just don't see how you can call it a contest.

Crystal in my mind is the apex of the Pokemon franchise. They'll have to do some really astounding stuff with Black and White to make me change my opinion. Considering that they'll have 500+ monsters this time around, nearly a third of which will undoubtedly look really stupid (they're so running out of ideas, isn't that obvious by now?), I don't think that's likely. 151 was probably the ideal number to begin with, but 251 was still tolerable. I feel sorry for all the kids now who can't possibly feel the satisfaction of knowing each and every Pokemon.

Back