• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Watch out for Ghosts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkmin3033

I love how the Pokemon anime totally discards type matchups whenever it suits the writer's whims, it's like watching the first season of Yu-Gi-Oh! over and over and over. It's still very much a 90s show. xD

Years

Since today is the 20th anniversary of the anime, what do you think were your best and worst moments? Who was your fave companion of Ash? Or your fave of Ash's Pokemon from over the years?

pkmin3033

I still get lots of laughs out of everything up to and including Johto Journeys, dubbed. I felt the original anime moved at a faster pace than later seasons...probably because the filler was just so much fun. Team Rocket's crazy costumes, breaking the fourth wall, the recurring gags like Jigglypuff...the show had some real life and personality to it back then, and a lot of that just got sapped away in later years.

I hated the Hoenn anime. It was just boring, and it introduced a lot of characters I couldn't stand, like Max and Drew. DPPt was incredible though...like the games, it totally restored my interest. I adore Dawn, and the fact that she grew with and apart from Ash made her the best companion he's ever had in my opinion. Then BW happened and there went that...

Years

BW was a generation where I hated the anime, but loved the games.

I definitely feel that BW had a lot of controversial decisions made by the writers, such as Ash losing to that stupid jerk Cameron in the Unova League, and Ash acting like he clearly doesn't know what he's doing, like that horrible Nimbasa Gym battle.

Then there's Iris, my most hated companion of all time. She was cute in the games, but the anime writers turning her into a bully who calls Ash a "kid" definitely made this series not last long for me.

Now, SM is turning out to be the new BW to me... great games but awful anime, except they now do a real reboot by pulling off an entire format change, and making Ash actually look like a dork... because I hate dorks and rebooted formats as a whole.

pkmin3033

I've found the anime goes hand-in-hand with the quality of the games, haha. The XY anime started off with so much promise but turned out to be unable to live up to those promises, and the SM anime...well, it's just as bad as it looks, really. When I went back to watch BW again after it finished I liked the tournament arcs though...makes me wonder if I'd like White/White 2 if I played them again now.

This need to try and reboot Pokemon this way is a direct parallel to Sega's need to reboot Sonic, at least to me. It's entirely unnecessary and leads to something that is substantially worse than what we already had. Change is good, but if it ain't broke then don't fix it.

Years

Doesn't help that I also blame Yo-Kai Watch on the drastic change of format in SM. I know it has been hammering Pokemon in the ratings, but the fact that this could mean more slapstick-focused slice-of-life anime is definitely something to feel grim about.

pkmin3033

Yokai Watch...I tried playing the first game, and it was absolutely diabolical. The presentation was fantastic, but god if that battle system wasn't the worst designed thing I've ever seen. I don't think it has too much of a presence here in the West either; I've never seen the show on standard TV in the mornings (or any other time of day for that matter) and the second games aren't even out over here yet. Maybe it's taking Japan by storm, but a global craze it is not.

Which begs the question...is there the possibility Pokemon could become a series with a Western audience in mind in the future? Yokai Watch will never eclipse Pokemon outside of Japan, but if there becomes no real market for Pokemon titles in Japan...I wonder.

Considering what Square Enix have been doing to Final Fantasy in a bid to make it appeal more to a Western audience, I bloody well hope not....SM were bad enough, god knows what they'd come out with trying to make a Pokemon title specifically for a Western audience.

Years

As far as I know, Yo-Kai Watch only seems to appeal to young Japanese children with short attention spans, so it's understandable why it doesn't have a huge following internationally.

pkmin3033

Well, that was kinda the target audience of Pokemon, too. xD

-Nonsense-

Luck = 0
    Years

I love how the Pokemon anime totally discards type matchups whenever it suits the writer's whims, it's like watching the first season of Yu-Gi-Oh! over and over and over. It's still very much a 90s show. xD

Pikachu, use thunderbolt on Geodude! - Ash (That actually ended up working)

Have you seen Thunder Armor Swellow? {XD}

pkmin3033

Reminds of AJ's Water-resistant Sandshrew, or the Crystal Onix immune to water but weak to fire...

Years

Interesting in that inside Cove Lily Motel in OR/AS, there was a pic of a palm tree that looked suspiciously like Alolan Exeggutor.

pkmin3033

I've honestly never noticed stuff like that until it's pointed out...worldbuilding has never been one of Pokemon's strengths I don't think. Or maybe I'm just not attentive enough, haha.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years

I watched a YouTube Video of someone doing the original 151 Pokemon Voices and whilst I remembered that Arbok says 'Charbok' and that Jolteon says 'Jolt Jolt' I always thought Electrabuzz said "Buzz Buzz' rather than the unintelligible noise it actually makes.

A wonder what a Lilligant sounds like in the anime.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back