• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I wish that character got in the anime!

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • Some game characters never made anime appearances. (Still salty abt Ilima.) What game characters did you want the anime to give an episode that they never did? I always wanted Shauntal and Grimsley to be in the B/W anime never happened.

Years
  • I would have wanted Hilda to be Ash's female companion in Unova instead of that bitch that was Iris. However, I can see why it didn't happen, since Musicals really weren't that major of a feature in the games and couldn't easily be as widespread as Contests.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Hilda
    Moon
    All of the male protagonists

Hey TPC, you know the best way to advertise your games? Actually use the player characters instead of some perpetual loser.

Years
  • Hilda
    Moon
    All of the male protagonists

Hey TPC, you know the best way to advertise your games? Actually use the player characters instead of some perpetual loser.

I do feel Moon should have taken Ash's place as the main character in SM (because I literally always think of it as a reboot) but then again, Lillie was probably more important so they prioritised her instead and chose her as SM's main female companion.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • Do Porygon2 and Porygon-Z count? No? Well in that case...

Janine. There was a female ninja in the original season that some say is Janine, but I consider that a cop-out.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Do Porygon2 and Porygon-Z count? No? Well in that case...

(Porygon 2 and Z got a one-off cameo in the "world of Pokemon" speech in the Kyurem movie.) But it was a literal split second.

Let me see. Besides all the characters mentioned in here... I have a looooooooooooong list.
    Leaf
    Will & Karen.
    Sydney, Pheobe, and Glacia (since Drake appeared, I was displeased with the rest of the Hoenn Ellite Four not appearing.)
    The Sinnoh Battle Frontier Brains.
    Shauntal, Grimsley and Marshal.
    Yancy & Curtis.
    Benga.
    Zinnia.
    Lisia.
    And of course, Ilima WHO I'LL ALWAYS BE SALTY HASN'T APPEARED YET OTHERWISE.

*Breathes*.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    My main pick is all of the E4 Members who haven't appeared (ie. Karen, Will, Phoebe, Sidney, etc.). Most of these characters already get next-to-nothing in the games, so it feels like an extra kick in the face that the anime won't even acknowledge them. Even if Ash wasn't going to actually battle any of them in the League, they could've still appeared as COTDs (as Bruno, Lorelei, and Lance did in OS).

I also would've loved to see Janine, especially since there was even a Johto episode that brought back Koga's younger sister Aya. What a huge missed opportunity to not introduce Janine.

As for other player characters, the only way I want to see any of them is if they're collecting badges and (hopefully) replacing Ash as the new main character. I honestly despise the way this show depicts female player characters. All of them have been portrayed as girly ditzes, and Lyra was the only one who was even shown with badges. The rest (Marina, May, Dawn, Serena) were all Contest Divas playing second-fiddle to a stronger male protagonist (Jimmy for Marina, Ash for the other three), which is not only horribly retrograde but also boring and inaccurate to the games.

Characters like May and Dawn are designed to be protagonists, and when you play as them in the games, they're battling, collecting badges, and becoming champions, not just playing dress up in some beauty pageant. Contests aren't anything more than a minor side activity in the games, and the last thing I want to see is yet more female PCs getting dumbed down into that role. The likes of Green and Hilda deserve better than that.

Years
  • As for other player characters, the only way I want to see any of them is if they're collecting badges and (hopefully) replacing Ash as the new main character. I honestly despise the way this show depicts female player characters. All of them have been portrayed as girly ditzes, and Lyra was the only one who was even shown with badges. The rest (Marina, May, Dawn, Serena) were all Contest Divas playing second-fiddle to a stronger male protagonist (Jimmy for Marina, Ash for the other three), which is not only horribly retrograde but also boring and inaccurate to the games.

Characters like May and Dawn are designed to be protagonists, and when you play as them in the games, they're battling, collecting badges, and becoming champions, not just playing dress up in some beauty pageant. Contests aren't anything more than a minor side activity in the games, and the last thing I want to see is yet more female PCs getting dumbed down into that role. The likes of Green and Hilda deserve better than that.

I can easily understand your point regarding the female player characters, in that they always seem to be portrayed as feminine stereotypes. And then we have the likes of Leaf, Hilda, Rosa and Moon being absent completely because the anime staff can't find a purpose for them due to their regions lacking a side goal like Contests. Lyra's design is often hated but I at least praise her for being the only female player character to not be dumbed down into a girly stereotype in the anime, showing that just because you're female, doesn't mean you can't challenge Gyms.

As you said, the female protagonists that do get a major role that were dumbed down for a girly goal like Contests always had to play second fiddle to a male character who challenged Gyms, making the female look weak. I don't like it when pop culture always portrays men as the stronger gender, because it's what I call extreme sexism.

It also didn't help that another reason why Hilda was likely left out of BW was the reboot approach, hence why Iris was there as essentially a Misty 2.0. Pokemon Generations did it even worse, where none of the female player characters ever appeared, only the males.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    I can easily understand your point regarding the female player characters, in that they always seem to be portrayed as feminine stereotypes. And then we have the likes of Leaf, Hilda, Rosa and Moon being absent completely because the anime staff can't find a purpose for them due to their regions lacking a side goal like Contests. Lyra's design is often hated but I at least praise her for being the only female player character to not be dumbed down into a girly stereotype in the anime, showing that just because you're female, doesn't mean you can't challenge Gyms.

As you said, the female protagonists that do get a major role that were dumbed down for a girly goal like Contests always had to play second fiddle to a male character who challenged Gyms, making the female look weak. I don't like it when pop culture always portrays men as the stronger gender, because it's what I call extreme sexism.

It also didn't help that another reason why Hilda was likely left out of BW was the reboot approach, hence why Iris was there as essentially a Misty 2.0. Pokemon Generations did it even worse, where none of the female player characters ever appeared, only the males.

One thing I've noticed is that outside of Kris/Marina, the only female protagonists that appear in the anime are the ones that have major NPC roles in the games when you play as the boy. When you don't play as them, May and Serena still appear as rivals, while Dawn and Lyra appear as helpful secondary NPCs. On the other hand, Green and Moon don't appear at all when you play as the boy, and Hilda and Rosa only barely appear as Battle Subway partners.

Even then, though, not a single one of these girls ever existed in the games solely to do Contests and look pretty. Why couldn't May and Serena have been depicted as rivals to Ash like they actually are in the games? Or, why couldn't Dawn have been Rowan's assistant and an aspiring researcher, which again, is her actual game NPC role? I get that they don't want to have more than one main character collecting badges, but there are still other things that could be done with these girls besides sticking them in glorified beauty pageants.

Of course, what I would've ideally wanted was for Ash to be retired after Johto and for May to be the badge-collecting protagonist of AG. :P

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    I take Hilda over iris anyday because iris is one of the worst in the anime. I rather have a past female companion go to kalos with Ash because Serena is another bad character. Lillie should be ditched for the Moon female character.

I kind of wanted to see Zinnia to appear.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • Not really a character more of a design...

I wanted to see Elesa's BW 2 outfit in the Anime. but then again that would mean that we would get more episodes of Best wishes... hmm...

Seeing Elesa should be enough to numb the pain for me tho XD

Guest123_x1

Leaf, Hilda, and Moon definitely should have appeared in the anime, even if they weren't going to be there to travel with Ash. I've always wondered what they would be really like if they appeared on the show.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2019
    I wished for Green (Leaf) to appear but she would definitely have a different name.

All the elite four that wasn't shown.

And Silver having more screen time than just a cameo on a special.

Years
  • Leaf, Hilda, and Moon definitely should have appeared in the anime, even if they weren't going to be there to travel with Ash. I've always wondered what they would be really like if they appeared on the show.

It's a shame they all never made it into the anime, because they all have great designs. Unfortunately, BW tried to be a Kanto-like reboot while SM is trying to be a Yo-Kai Watch copycat. I guess it's also because that their home regions had no suitable sidequest like Contests or Showcases, meaning the only options were make them challenge the same goal as Ash (which of course the staff don't want) or cut them out entirely.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • If we're going for game remakes, I'd love to see ORAS promotion in the anime with Lisia and Chaz. They would have made decent rivals for May or heck even Serena if they wanted to do a mini series with her in Hoenn.

Years
  • If we're going for game remakes, I'd love to see ORAS promotion in the anime with Lisia and Chaz. They would have made decent rivals for May or heck even Serena if they wanted to do a mini series with her in Hoenn.

It was a shame we didn't have any OR/AS new characters to promote these remakes. I know Steven appeared with his Mega Metagross, but he had appeared in one episode of AG before so I don't count him.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • It was a shame we didn't have any OR/AS new characters to promote these remakes. I know Steven appeared with his Mega Metagross, but he had appeared in one episode of AG before so I don't count him.

The reason why I think they would work is because people call May the princess or queen of Hoenn and Chaz would take offense to that since he feels if anyone should be given that title it should be Lisia. It's why I'm telling ya that a spin off Coordinator series involving the performer girls(May, Dawn and Serena) would work, with Chaz, Lisia and others as their rivals.

Back