• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What should replace religion?

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    "Everywhere" to "nearly everywhere"? That seems beyond hyperbolic and I feel like you're projecting your own experience onto the entire world when plenty of countries are incredibly irreligious. Take Sweden for example. And the point I was making wasn't that religion has already been rendered almost unheard of - I appreciate the fact that it's still a big deal - the point is it's falling even if your personal experience says that there are still just as many religious people as before.

If we compare the modern era to literally any other era, yes, religion is less prominent, but that's obvious to anyone. If you look at the contemporary world and compare it to the 1600s, yeah, there's obviously going to be less religion. That doesn't mean religion is disappearing, and it literally never will as long as humans are alive and they keep believing (which I am 99% certain will be the case).

Far from projecting my own experiences. I'm just acknowledging that the world is not wholly ready to replace/remove religion and that it's literally still here and still prominent everywhere. Live in the U.S. and you'll see that it's hardly escapable unless you live in a city. You're also ignoring the many countries that still are highly religious. Sure, non-religious countries are definitely different from the previous eras, but that isn't the point. The original post implies that religion will be pushed out by science, which will probably never happen until the far, far, far, far off future (provided our planet/species survives that long) because religion has been a part of our history for ages and we haven't even nearly rooted it out enough to get rid of it, let alone say that it'll be replaced by science.

It wouldn't require that at all. Nobody lives forever. We've been watching the world grow less religious for hundreds of years, this is very much possible and happening.

Maybe generational shifts lead to less religious people, sure, but that doesn't mean they're going to just completely be gone, at least not for quite a few centuries (if that). There are still religious people in every generation, and those people may raise kids and bring them into the religion, and the kids may adhere to that religion, and repeat ad naseum. It's not like every generation has one exact cohesive mindset and that will be the factor that drives religion out.

ilookgorgeous

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2020
    Nothing should replace religion. In fact, I am not one to believe that science should even serve as a basis of spiritual belief at all.

I wholeheartedly agree. I think religions have different aspects that make them different, and that some things are for multiple beliefs. Like two religions can have a similar or even the same belief. God created the earth in seven days in Catholic religion, but in the Muslim Bible, it says that God created the earth in two days. The Qu'ran makes a lot of sense to me. Like why is the earth created in seven days instead of two? Did God really base the seven days of the week on how long it took to create the heavens and the earth? Is hell in outer space??? Where is it located? Is it in another dimension? Souls can teleport. God creates our soul to be put into our mothers for them to give birth to us. God's our father. I believe in reincarnation. That God takes parts of our brain and gives them to another spirit, and then he creates our skeleton and flesh. I was raised Catholic. I think all of us should pray to God when we have problems. Sometimes our prayers aren't answered, because we change our minds and no longer want it. Some of us are just spoiled. And always get what we want. Even if we no longer want it. It's not fair. I'm sorry, but I'm praising God. I'm not looking to convert anybody. I have different beliefs than others. I believe in angels, and Buddha, and astrology. But astrology conflicts with religions. For example, Christianity.

I don't think anything should replace religions.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
  • If we compare the modern era to literally any other era, yes, religion is less prominent, but that's obvious to anyone. If you look at the contemporary world and compare it to the 1600s, yeah, there's obviously going to be less religion. That doesn't mean religion is disappearing, and it literally never will as long as humans are alive and they keep believing (which I am 99% certain will be the case).

Far from projecting my own experiences. I'm just acknowledging that the world is not wholly ready to replace/remove religion and that it's literally still here and still prominent everywhere. Live in the U.S. and you'll see that it's hardly escapable unless you live in a city. You're also ignoring the many countries that still are highly religious. Sure, non-religious countries are definitely different from the previous eras, but that isn't the point. The original post implies that religion will be pushed out by science, which will probably never happen until the far, far, far, far off future (provided our planet/species survives that long) because religion has been a part of our history for ages and we haven't even nearly rooted it out enough to get rid of it, let alone say that it'll be replaced by science.

Maybe generational shifts lead to less religious people, sure, but that doesn't mean they're going to just completely be gone, at least not for quite a few centuries (if that). There are still religious people in every generation, and those people may raise kids and bring them into the religion, and the kids may adhere to that religion, and repeat ad naseum. It's not like every generation has one exact cohesive mindset and that will be the factor that drives religion out.

A couple of points:

Religion has not declined linearly. You bring up how long religion has been around for, but the decline is much more recent by comparison, so saying "it's been around for X amount of time and never died off" isn't much of an argument.

I'm not saying that every single person in the world will eventually be an atheist. I'm saying religion will fade from our culture as a whole. Which is exactly what we are watching happen.

I am not ignoring the religious countries. I'm aware plenty of those exist. I'm providing a counterexample to the claim that religion is still dominant everywhere, which you reiterate here. The fact that you would say "it's literally still here and still prominent everywhere" proves that you're projecting your experience. It's just categorically false, and one counterexample can disprove the entire claim.

All in all, I don't see where your evidence is for the claim that religion will be prominent forever, other than the idea that it's still around now, to which I would reply "So what?" I would relate this to when people believed in ideas like witchcraft - what's the difference?

Trev

Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    A couple of points:

Religion has not declined linearly. You bring up how long religion has been around for, but the decline is much more recent by comparison, so saying "it's been around for X amount of time and never died off" isn't much of an argument.

I'm not saying that every single person in the world will eventually be an atheist. I'm saying religion will fade from our culture as a whole. Which is exactly what we are watching happen.

I am not ignoring the religious countries. I'm aware plenty of those exist. I'm providing a counterexample to the claim that religion is still dominant everywhere, which you reiterate here. The fact that you would say "it's literally still here and still prominent everywhere" proves that you're projecting your experience. It's just categorically false, and one counterexample can disprove the entire claim.

All in all, I don't see where your evidence is for the claim that religion will be prominent forever, other than the idea that it's still around now, to which I would reply "So what?" I would relate this to when people believed in ideas like witchcraft - what's the difference?

I never said it declined linearly :v I am fully aware that, yes, the world, as a whole, is less religious than X time period in the past. This topic's OP said "as science replaces religion," but it would have been better worded as, "as science disproves large parts of religious theory," which makes far more sense than saying "religion gonna be gone." And, yes, citing the past is credible as an argument in this specific situation because large scale human change is always slow as hell (with some exceptions), and the concept of "religion will disappear" is something I forsee in a very, very, very far off future based on my knowledge of how long it takes for changes to take place in human sociological development.

Except it won't. Religion is literally a culture itself, and as long as people keep believing, it's not going to fade. It would literally take several generations of pure atheists to completely and entirely root out religion from contemporary societies, and that would honestly require a complete destruction of the foundational resources that allow religions to prosper, which would take a.) a lot of time, b.) a lot of convincing for the older generations, and c.) a law change (in the U.S., a change to the Constitution as well) that would allow the mass exodus of religion from a society. Religion isn't a tick you can just wiggle around and pluck off - it's embedded in the fabric of our society (not every society, but most).

When I say, "everywhere" at any point, you should always envision "(with some exceptions)" right beside it. I am not that clueless and I'd appreciate if you didn't treat me as if I was by taking my wording that seriously :v I will add those clarifications for future posts I make in this discussion to ensure that my words are relaying the message I intend them to.

I literally never said it would stick around forever. I have said that science will never completely obliterate religion, with a slight niggle of "it might, but we have no idea if it will, and all we can do is assume if it will or won't."

Spoiler: Quotes of me saying exactly that
    me said:
    The original post implies that religion will be pushed out by science, which will probably never happen until the far, far, far, far off future (provided our planet/species survives that long) because religion has been a part of our history for ages and we haven't even nearly rooted it out enough to get rid of it, let alone say that it'll be replaced by science.

also me said:
    If we compare the modern era to literally any other era, yes, religion is less prominent, but that's obvious to anyone. If you look at the contemporary world and compare it to the 1600s, yeah, there's obviously going to be less religion. That doesn't mean religion is disappearing, and it literally never will as long as humans are alive and they keep believing (which I am 99% certain will be the case).

me again said:
    Maybe generational shifts lead to less religious people, sure, but that doesn't mean they're going to just completely be gone, at least not for quite a few centuries (if that).

I did call the idea preposterous at one point, but if you chose to interpret that as me saying that religion will be around forever, well, that's your own choice and is not what the message I intended my words to relay :v From what I've learned in sociology and psychology, I can tell you that it would be extremely difficult/near impossible for science to be so convincing that all religious people will be like "eh, whatever" to their core beliefs and embrace a secular mindset. If you truly believe it's easy and that it's something achievable in the near future, I'm sorry, I can't humor that. It's a critical misunderstanding of how people work :v

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
  • I never said it declined linearly :v I am fully aware that, yes, the world, as a whole, is less religious than X time period in the past. This topic's OP said "as science replaces religion," but it would have been better worded as, "as science disproves large parts of religious theory," which makes far more sense than saying "religion gonna be gone." And, yes, citing the past is credible as an argument in this specific situation because large scale human change is always slow as hell (with some exceptions), and the concept of "religion will disappear" is something I forsee in a very, very, very far off future based on my knowledge of how long it takes for changes to take place in human sociological development.
    I think I need to demonstrate this graphically. Obviously not accurate but demonstrating the point. The point in me saying the change has been non-linear is to show that the fact that decreasing religiousness by X% took hundreds upon hundreds of years doesn't suggest that it will take hundreds of years to decrease it all the way to 0. Your conclusion is completely non-sequitur - by all means argue that religion won't fade for hundreds of years, but give me something other than "well it took that long to get this far"
    49504a62de01401d95642ded1e780cff.png

Except it won't. Religion is literally a culture itself, and as long as people keep believing, it's not going to fade.
    I'm pretty sure the entire point is that people will stop believing.

It would literally take several generations of pure atheists to completely and entirely root out religion from contemporary societies, and that would honestly require a complete destruction of the foundational resources that allow religions to prosper, which would take a.) a lot of time, b.) a lot of convincing for the older generations, and c.) a law change (in the U.S., a change to the Constitution as well) that would allow the mass exodus of religion from a society. Religion isn't a tick you can just wiggle around and pluck off - it's embedded in the fabric of our society (not every society, but most).
    No. You don't need to convince the older generations. For Christ's sake, this won't happen tomorrow. What I'm positing, to put it bluntly, is that this will happen when those people are dead. Nobody here is speaking short-term. We're not plucking it off, it's smoothly sliding out and has been for a while now. A passing Google search shows this happening. It will keep going that way until the religiousness of our societies is negligible. I'm not sure how you can visualise anything else happening. I didn't say it'd happen overnight. Nice and silky smooth, following the exact same trend as over the past 100 years or so. We won't suddenly see a generation of pure atheists. We'll see a slightly less religious generation, and then an even less religious generation. You know, pretty much exactly what we're seeing right now if you look back over the past few generations.

When I say, "everywhere" at any point, you should always envision "(with some exceptions)" right beside it. I am not that clueless and I'd appreciate if you didn't treat me as if I was by taking my wording that seriously :v I will add those clarifications for future posts I make in this discussion to ensure that my words are relaying the message I intend them to.
    These supposedly rare countries which aren't dominated by religion are a lot more common than you seem to think. As far as first world countries go, I'd say most are probably less religious than the US. There's an interesting Wikipedia page on it (take reliability as you will): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Importance_of_religion_by_country

According to that slightly older survey, 69% of Americans said religion was important. Canada, 42%. Australia, 32%. United Kingdom, 27%. Obviously a lot of countries are more religious, but we're talking about western societies in this thread. It's not "religion is everywhere (with some exceptions)", it's "religion isn't everywhere (with some exceptions)". This is why you're projecting your own experience.

I literally never said it would stick around forever. I have said that science will never completely obliterate religion, with a slight niggle of "it might, but we have no idea if it will, and all we can do is assume if it will or won't."
    If you can get on my case for taking your use of the word "everywhere" literally, you don't then get to do the exact same thing to my use of the word "forever". I'm not going to type out "forever except maybe not in a long long long time" every time I want to demonstrate the point. Just envision that beside it whenever I use the term (which is exactly what you advised me to do with your use of "everywhere".

I did call the idea preposterous at one point, but if you chose to interpret that as me saying that religion will be around forever, well, that's your own choice and is not what the message I intended my words to relay :v From what I've learned in sociology and psychology, I can tell you that it would be extremely difficult/near impossible for science to be so convincing that all religious people will be like "eh, whatever" to their core beliefs and embrace a secular mindset. If you truly believe it's easy and that it's something achievable in the near future, I'm sorry, I can't humor that. It's a critical misunderstanding of how people work :v
    This is a critical misunderstanding of my points and it's beginning to grate, honestly. We don't need to convince anyone. If the witch-burners were alive right now, they'd still want to burn witches. But luckily, nobody had to convince them all to stop murdering women because that's not how old ideas are phased out. Old ideas have never been phased out that way. You're arguing against a point nobody is making.

I'm showing you a trend. This trend is forming. This trend is undeniable. Religiousness is on the decline and it will continue to decline. Those are numbers, whether Bob the priest in Texas suddenly becomes an atheist tomorrow or not. I don't see what about this is debatable. I'm not saying everyone will stop being religious. I'm saying it will fade from our culture. Which it will, just like witch burning.

Trev

Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    I think I need to demonstrate this graphically. Obviously not accurate but demonstrating the point. The point in me saying the change has been non-linear is to show that the fact that decreasing religiousness by X% took hundreds upon hundreds of years doesn't suggest that it will take hundreds of years to decrease it all the way to 0. Your conclusion is completely non-sequitur - by all means argue that religion won't fade for hundreds of years, but give me something other than "well it took that long to get this far"
    49504a62de01401d95642ded1e780cff.png

"Your point is non-sequitur. Here's a graph with no statistical basis whatsoever and is based on my own experiences and observations, which I have criticized you for using in your arguments."

I'm referencing sociological and psychological behavior of humans and the common trends of change in the past to determine that religion's decline, should it continue to decline, will be slow, which is why I'm saying it'll take centuries for religion to decline to a point that it would disappear, if it would continue to decline. So, yes, I am saying that I believe a decline of religion to extinction is going to be slow, and my belief is based on the behavior of human beings in the past and their adversity to change. If we assume that religion will keep declining, I'm also saying that I find such a scenario, if it were to occur, to be very unlikely.

I'm pretty sure the entire point is that people will stop believing.

But there's no way to determine that they'll stop. Religion cannot disappear unless the people who believe it disappear, and even if 99.99% of a single generation is non-religious in some form, the 00.01% of people who do believe it means that it still exists. Each generation is going to have religious people, because there will be families that raise their children on religion, and those children will ascribe to it, and teach their children, repeat, repeat. Additionally, for religion to truly disappear, everyone has to stop believing it, and nobody must practice it until the very memory of religion itself fades away. Either that, or all humans have to die and the species must restart without forming religion. Both of these scenarios do seem unlikely to me, yes. Although I'd place more money on full extinction of humans killing off religion more than gradual societal change.

No. You don't need to convince the older generations. For Christ's sake, this won't happen tomorrow. What I'm positing, to put it bluntly, is that this will happen when those people are dead. Nobody here is speaking short-term. We're not plucking it off, it's smoothly sliding out and has been for a while now. A passing Google search shows this happening. It will keep going that way until the religiousness of our societies is negligible. I'm not sure how you can visualise anything else happening. I didn't say it'd happen overnight. Nice and silky smooth, following the exact same trend as over the past 100 years or so. We won't suddenly see a generation of pure atheists. We'll see a slightly less religious generation, and then an even less religious generation. You know, pretty much exactly what we're seeing right now if you look back over the past few generations.

But less religious people in each generation =/= religion dying out and fading away. Like I said, people will always believe it, and as long as people believe it and practice it, it won't disappear. And again, this is a scenario in which we assume people will continuously become less religious. Sure, we've definitely declined in between the 1600s and now, but there are more factors than just "will religion as a single entity continue declining?" Are we to assume all religions will decline at the same rate? Will people not create any new religions? Will there never be an increase in the prominence a specific religion? Are religious believers going to never take any actions to increase the belief in their religion (whatever those actions may be is not something I'm focusing on with this point)? Are all countries going to decline at the same rate? Are all countries even going to decline at all? There's too many factors to just look at a gradual decline in Western countries and apply it to the entire human species.

These supposedly rare countries which aren't dominated by religion are a lot more common than you seem to think. As far as first world countries go, I'd say most are probably less religious than the US. There's an interesting Wikipedia page on it (take reliability as you will): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Importance_of_religion_by_country

According to that slightly older survey, 69% of Americans said religion was important. Canada, 42%. Australia, 32%. United Kingdom, 27%. Obviously a lot of countries are more religious, but we're talking about western societies in this thread. It's not "religion is everywhere (with some exceptions)", it's "religion isn't everywhere (with some exceptions)". This is why you're projecting your own experience.

I'm sorry, when did we establish that we were only talking about Western countries? I never said that. Don't think you said that either. :v

If we divide the countries into two categories - "prominent religion" and "no prominent religion" - and base it on the percentages - "Yes, important" vs. "No, unimportant" - and we determine a countries category based on which percentage is higher - "Yes, important" higher = "prominent religion," "No, unimportant" higher = "no prominent religion" - then the number of countries in "prominent religion" is 114 and then number of countries in "no prominent religion" is 35.

Even with that extremely narrow categorization, it should be noted that no country has a "Yes, important" percentage of 0%. The lowest is Estonia at 16%. So, no, it actually is "religion is everywhere (with some exceptions)" if we are going by this study's results. In fact, if I changed my statement to "religion exists everywhere," then I wouldn't even need the (with some exceptions) because it does, in fact, exist everywhere. Whether it is prominent or not is a different category, and whether or not that country has a large presence of religion in a country is also something different, because a society as a whole doesn't need to have a lot of religious people for their to still be religion in a government. When the percentages get closer together, I'd wager that a lot more religion gets into government.

If you can get on my case for taking your use of the word "everywhere" literally, you don't then get to do the exact same thing to my use of the word "forever". I'm not going to type out "forever except maybe not in a long long long time" every time I want to demonstrate the point. Just envision that beside it whenever I use the term (which is exactly what you advised me to do with your use of "everywhere".

If that's how your use of forever is to be interpreted, then yeah, I'll def. interpret it like that. Thanks for clarifying (which is exactly what I did for you :v).

This is a critical misunderstanding of my points and it's beginning to grate, honestly. We don't need to convince anyone. If the witch-burners were alive right now, they'd still want to burn witches. But luckily, nobody had to convince them all to stop murdering women because that's not how old ideas are phased out. Old ideas have never been phased out that way. You're arguing against a point nobody is making.

I'm showing you a trend. This trend is forming. This trend is undeniable. Religiousness is on the decline and it will continue to decline. Those are numbers, whether Bob the priest in Texas suddenly becomes an atheist tomorrow or not. I don't see what about this is debatable. I'm not saying everyone will stop being religious. I'm saying it will fade from our culture. Which it will, just like witch burning.

Well actually the Salem Witch Trials ended because the governor's wife was accused of being a witch and he outlawed them because of that (allegedly - grain of salt). The court even stopped accepting spectral evidence before it ended. The witch burners didn't need to die for witch burning to disappear.

And convincing someone not to burn witches is different from convincing someone to not believe in their religion. Take spectral evidence. Cotton Mather's wrote a book that said the evidence was presumptive, and other people were like, "yeah, actually there's no real evidence there since it's just people accusing others and that can be faked, so maybe we shouldn't use spectral evidence." Since most of the convictions were based on spectral evidence, the number of accusations went down significantly. People saw that there was no evidence, so they stopped. But if someone's like, "hey, God isn't real because his existence is presumptive," then a religious person is probably not going to believe that because they have the Bible, which is touted as evidence of God by religious people, and most people will also cite experiences they've had in which they've interacted with God. How do you argue against that with someone? All you can say is, "that wasn't God," and believe me, they won't believe that. They'll believe that the Bible and their experiences are evidence, and you won't be able to convince them otherwise (maybe in some exceptions with the less religiously devoted but you get the point).

I agree that religion has declined, which is a trend, but I don't necessarily agree that it will continue declining - in fact, I have no idea what it will do. It could gradually start increasing, or it could level out for a while, or it could drop or rise sharply. Who knows? I don't necessarily disagree that its prominence won't decline more, but I don't believe it'll be gone for several more centuries, and even then, whether or not it will be gone is impossible to determine now. However, based on what I do know about religious people, both from my anecdotal experiences with them and from my studying on psychological behavior and sociological trends, it's going to be a very unlikely scenario.

You are doing exactly what I'm doing - citing past trends and behaviors to attempt to speculate about the future - and that's fine, but since you've criticized me for it, I'm going to call that out :v You've cited no actual numbers that truly support your claim. You've simply said "there is a trend in which religion has been declining," which is true, but you've cited no evidence that it will continue declining. You've simply said, "this trend will continue," which may or may not be true. But don't feel the need to cite it, because I'm gonna clarify that what I'm arguing isn't that religiosity is going to increase (because I don't know if it will) or that it'll stop decreasing. I'm arguing that humans outliving religion seems extremely unlikely given the behaviors of religious people and how devoted they are to their faith, and because there are still going to be enough people in each generation to keep religion alive, regardless of how irreligious a specific generation is.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
  • "Your point is non-sequitur. Here's a graph with no statistical basis whatsoever and is based on my own experiences and observations, which I have criticized you for using in your arguments."
    There's no need to be rude about it. I did quite clearly say "Obviously not accurate but demonstrating the point." It was to get an idea across. It's not based on my own experiences and observations, because if you didn't guess, I wasn't alive in "ye olden days". If you want a real graph, try a passing Google search and stop getting on my case for an obviously not accurate graph which I clearly stated obviously wasn't accurate. It exists to get an idea across.

I'm referencing sociological and psychological behavior of humans and the common trends of change in the past to determine that religion's decline, should it continue to decline, will be slow, which is why I'm saying it'll take centuries for religion to decline to a point that it would disappear, if it would continue to decline. So, yes, I am saying that I believe a decline of religion to extinction is going to be slow, and my belief is based on the behavior of human beings in the past and their adversity to change. If we assume that religion will keep declining, I'm also saying that I find such a scenario, if it were to occur, to be very unlikely.
    Your conclusion is conjecture though. If you actually look at how religion has been declining (you can Google some real graphs if you want), it doesn't fit your hypothesis at all. Because for the thousandth time, this isn't about old people changing their minds, this is about young people taking different perspectives. Religion's decline is currently not slow (at least by my standards). It's pretty reasonable and I don't see why it would slow down. I don't even think your metric of "it will take centuries" is unrealistic. I think that's perfectly reasonable and in the grand scheme of things isn't a very long time. Maybe I'd take off the plural and say about a century.

But there's no way to determine that they'll stop. Religion cannot disappear unless the people who believe it disappear, and even if 99.99% of a single generation is non-religious in some form, the 00.01% of people who do believe it means that it still exists. Each generation is going to have religious people, because there will be families that raise their children on religion, and those children will ascribe to it, and teach their children, repeat, repeat. Additionally, for religion to truly disappear, everyone has to stop believing it, and nobody must practice it until the very memory of religion itself fades away. Either that, or all humans have to die and the species must restart without forming religion. Both of these scenarios do seem unlikely to me, yes. Although I'd place more money on full extinction of humans killing off religion more than gradual societal change.
    I'll quote myself in big bold letters:
    "I'm not saying that every single person in the world will eventually be an atheist. I'm saying religion will fade from our culture as a whole."

i.e. If 0.01% of people are religious, religion is dead for all intents and purposes. I'm not saying that 0% will be religious. Nobody in this thread is talking about such a scenario. We're talking about a situation where it has faded from our culture and the dialogue as a whole.

But less religious people in each generation =/= religion dying out and fading away. Like I said, people will always believe it, and as long as people believe it and practice it, it won't disappear. And again, this is a scenario in which we assume people will continuously become less religious. Sure, we've definitely declined in between the 1600s and now, but there are more factors than just "will religion as a single entity continue declining?" Are we to assume all religions will decline at the same rate? Will people not create any new religions? Will there never be an increase in the prominence a specific religion? Are religious believers going to never take any actions to increase the belief in their religion (whatever those actions may be is not something I'm focusing on with this point)? Are all countries going to decline at the same rate? Are all countries even going to decline at all? There's too many factors to just look at a gradual decline in Western countries and apply it to the entire human species.
    Missing the point again. If 0.01% are still religious, the number is negligible. The thread is about society as a whole and how it will fill any hypothetical moral void left by the decline of religion.

I'm sorry, when did we establish that we were only talking about Western countries? I never said that. Don't think you said that either. :v
    You're forgetting the entire context of this thread. We're talking about when religion fades from our society, not from the whole entire world. Read the OP. The word used was society (singular). I don't think OP is interested in the Middle East. I thought that was pretty clear based on the premise that religion is declining, which it obviously isn't in many of the non-Western countries you're now shoehorning into the discussion. Those countries are not relevant to this discussion. I feel like you're tunnel-visioning "Is religion dying?" and forgetting what we're actually discussing, which is something more like "Is religion dying to the point where some cultures might need to replace it with something else from which to derive a moral code?"

If we divide the countries into two categories - "prominent religion" and "no prominent religion" - and base it on the percentages - "Yes, important" vs. "No, unimportant" - and we determine a countries category based on which percentage is higher - "Yes, important" higher = "prominent religion," "No, unimportant" higher = "no prominent religion" - then the number of countries in "prominent religion" is 114 and then number of countries in "no prominent religion" is 35.
    See above. This discussion has a context: this thread. And plenty of those 114 countries are not relevant to that context. We're talking specifically about countries where religion is declining, and wondering whether or not religion will ever die in those countries.

Even with that extremely narrow categorization, it should be noted that no country has a "Yes, important" percentage of 0%. The lowest is Estonia at 16%. So, no, it actually is "religion is everywhere (with some exceptions)" if we are going by this study's results. In fact, if I changed my statement to "religion exists everywhere," then I wouldn't even need the (with some exceptions) because it does, in fact, exist everywhere. Whether it is prominent or not is a different category, and whether or not that country has a large presence of religion in a country is also something different, because a society as a whole doesn't need to have a lot of religious people for their to still be religion in a government. When the percentages get closer together, I'd wager that a lot more religion gets into government.
    Saying "religion is everywhere" implies "religion is prominent everywhere you go" as opposed to "religion exists in every country ever."

Well actually the Salem Witch Trials ended because the governor's wife was accused of being a witch and he outlawed them because of that (allegedly - grain of salt). The court even stopped accepting spectral evidence before it ended. The witch burners didn't need to die for witch burning to disappear.
    Poor wording on my part. I'm relating it to religion: I'm more talking about the system of beliefs that would lead someone to believe witch burning is a good idea. i.e. belief in witches and other superstitious nonsense.

And convincing someone not to burn witches is different from convincing someone to not believe in their religion. Take spectral evidence. Cotton Mather's wrote a book that said the evidence was presumptive, and other people were like, "yeah, actually there's no real evidence there since it's just people accusing others and that can be faked, so maybe we shouldn't use spectral evidence." Since most of the convictions were based on spectral evidence, the number of accusations went down significantly. People saw that there was no evidence, so they stopped. But if someone's like, "hey, God isn't real because his existence is presumptive," then a religious person is probably not going to believe that because they have the Bible, which is touted as evidence of God by religious people, and most people will also cite experiences they've had in which they've interacted with God. How do you argue against that with someone? All you can say is, "that wasn't God," and believe me, they won't believe that. They'll believe that the Bible and their experiences are evidence, and you won't be able to convince them otherwise (maybe in some exceptions with the less religiously devoted but you get the point).
    So religious people largely can't be convinced?

...we're in agreement then? Did you actually read the very specific section of my post you quoted here, where I said nobody needs to be convinced?

I agree that religion has declined, which is a trend, but I don't necessarily agree that it will continue declining - in fact, I have no idea what it will do. It could gradually start increasing, or it could level out for a while, or it could drop or rise sharply. Who knows? I don't necessarily disagree that its prominence won't decline more, but I don't believe it'll be gone for several more centuries, and even then, whether or not it will be gone is impossible to determine now. However, based on what I do know about religious people, both from my anecdotal experiences with them and from my studying on psychological behavior and sociological trends, it's going to be a very unlikely scenario.

You are doing exactly what I'm doing - citing past trends and behaviors to attempt to speculate about the future - and that's fine, but since you've criticized me for it, I'm going to call that out :v You've cited no actual numbers that truly support your claim. You've simply said "there is a trend in which religion has been declining," which is true, but you've cited no evidence that it will continue declining. You've simply said, "this trend will continue," which may or may not be true. But don't feel the need to cite it, because I'm gonna clarify that what I'm arguing isn't that religiosity is going to increase (because I don't know if it will) or that it'll stop decreasing. I'm arguing that humans outliving religion seems extremely unlikely given the behaviors of religious people and how devoted they are to their faith, and because there are still going to be enough people in each generation to keep religion alive, regardless of how irreligious a specific generation is.
    Obligatory clarification that I'm not talking about having literally 0 religious people exist.

Obviously there are no numbers to prove that we will continue to see the exact same trend as we've seen for hundreds of years. But it's kind of obvious, isn't it? Why would the trend suddenly change? I think Occam's razor applies here: I'm saying that a tried and true trend will continue, which is really what you should assume until something suggests otherwise. Which nothing does.

TL;DR, THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT IN THIS POST: I'm not saying that religion will 100% disappear, I'm saying it will fade as a feature of our culture. It is perfectly reasonable that some will always be religious, and I never contested that.

Trev

Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    There's no need to be rude about it. I did quite clearly say "Obviously not accurate but demonstrating the point." It was to get an idea across. It's not based on my own experiences and observations, because if you didn't guess, I wasn't alive in "ye olden days". If you want a real graph, try a passing Google search and stop getting on my case for an obviously not accurate graph which I clearly stated obviously wasn't accurate. It exists to get an idea across.

It's based on your observations of how religion has declined from X to Y. That is still an observation, and unless you support it with actual data, then your graph proves nothing other than the fact that you can make a graph.

Your conclusion is conjecture though. If you actually look at how religion has been declining (you can Google some real graphs if you want), it doesn't fit your hypothesis at all. Because for the thousandth time, this isn't about old people changing their minds, this is about young people taking different perspectives. Religion's decline is currently not slow (at least by my standards). It's pretty reasonable and I don't see why it would slow down. I don't even think your metric of "it will take centuries" is unrealistic. I think that's perfectly reasonable and in the grand scheme of things isn't a very long time. Maybe I'd take off the plural and say about a century.
    My conclusion was "religion could possibly keep declining, but I don't believe that it will decline to the point where it's not a part of our culture." So, if I Google graphs, I'm going to find that my conclusion is correct, because religious has been declining, but it's still a part of our culture. So I don't know what exactly you're disagreeing with, other than the "it will probably still be part of our culture" part

I'll quote myself in big bold letters:
    "I'm not saying that every single person in the world will eventually be an atheist. I'm saying religion will fade from our culture as a whole."

i.e. If 0.01% of people are religious, religion is dead for all intents and purposes. I'm not saying that 0% will be religious. Nobody in this thread is talking about such a scenario. We're talking about a situation where it has faded from our culture and the dialogue as a whole.
    I'm also going to quote myself in big bold letters:
    Religion will not disappear from our society until no one believes it or practices it for several generations.

0.01% of the U.S. population (325,117,462 at the time I write this) is 3,251,175 people, and that's just the population now. Hardly safe to say that a religion will be dead when it has 3.2 million followers. Other countries, I assume, will have lower numbers of 0.01% based on their population, but again, 0.01% is not really a small number.

Missing the point again. If 0.01% are still religious, the number is negligible. The thread is about society as a whole and how it will fill any hypothetical moral void left by the decline of religion.
    See above.

As for the moral void, I don't disagree that we can have morals without religion. There are plenty of moralistic non-religious people. So we can agree on that (assuming you do agree with that).

You're forgetting the entire context of this thread. We're talking about when religion fades from our society, not from the whole entire world. Read the OP. The word used was society (singular). I don't think OP is interested in the Middle East. I thought that was pretty clear based on the premise that religion is declining, which it obviously isn't in many of the non-Western countries you're now shoehorning into the discussion. Those countries are not relevant to this discussion. I feel like you're tunnel-visioning "Is religion dying?" and forgetting what we're actually discussing, which is something more like "Is religion dying to the point where some cultures might need to replace it with something else from which to derive a moral code?"
    "Society" can mean more than just one country's society.

EzAXbPv.png

Also, in my original post in this thread, I was actually discussing the topic at hand. But you honed in on one specific part of my post to start this entire discussion (while subsequently ignoring why I even said that in the first place).

Spoiler:

So if you want to brought up the topic proposed by the OP, by all means, let's move on to it then :v

See above. This discussion has a context: this thread. And plenty of those 114 countries are not relevant to that context. We're talking specifically about countries where religion is declining, and wondering whether or not religion will ever die in those countries.
    The original post never specified any specific countries. It just said "as religion dies." If you want to hone in on "country X will probably be less religious as time goes on," then I'd be more inclined to believe the statements you've made, since there are definitely countries where religion is declining faster than other countries. But I am talking about religion as an entire entity in the entire world, and in that context, no, it won't disappear for an extremely long time/at all. If you want to discuss specific countries, then yes, I will probably believe the idea that those specific countries might decline further (though I'll still be hard-pressed to believe that so few people will believe Y religion that it will disappear).

Saying "religion is everywhere" implies "religion is prominent everywhere you go" as opposed to "religion exists in every country ever."
    Yes, I know, that's what I was saying :v That's why I have been adding (with some exceptions), because it's not prominent everywhere. (Take this with a grain of salt, since I know America is probably the most religious Western country)

Poor wording on my part. I'm relating it to religion: I'm more talking about the system of beliefs that would lead someone to believe witch burning is a good idea. i.e. belief in witches and other superstitious nonsense.
    I don't think that people stopped believing in God just because they decided that burning witches wouldn't be the best idea :v

So religious people largely can't be convinced?

...we're in agreement then? Did you actually read the very specific section of my post you quoted here, where I said nobody needs to be convinced?
    I did, and I'm disagreeing with that. You're underestimating the tenacity of religion. At least in America, I can guarantee you that the influence of religiosity on our society will be far more prominent for far longer. Our current generation might be less religious than Gen Y, Gen X, and the Boomers, but that doesn't mean that religion is going to go away that quickly.

Obligatory clarification that I'm not talking about having literally 0 religious people exist.
    I have laid out what would require the removal of religion several times. That is where "0 religious people" comes from. Do not take that to mean that religion can't lose prominence unless it is destroyed.

Obviously there are no numbers to prove that we will continue to see the exact same trend as we've seen for hundreds of years. But it's kind of obvious, isn't it? Why would the trend suddenly change? I think Occam's razor applies here: I'm saying that a tried and true trend will continue, which is really what you should assume until something suggests otherwise. Which nothing does.
    Is it obvious? The trend doesn't need to suddenly change. It can still be a gradual change. This time period could be a valley - maybe the next generation will participate more religion, and it'll increase again, and if it does, the next-next generation might be more religious. We're seeing a lot of reform in Western societies, so it could honestly go either way. Who really knows? What I'm saying is that we shouldn't assume that a continuous decline is the only possible scenario, and if you believe that the past isn't always foretelling of the future, then you shouldn't be so deadset on saying that such a trend will continue.

TL;DR, THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT IN THIS POST: I'm not saying that religion will 100% disappear, I'm saying it will fade as a feature of our culture. It is perfectly reasonable that some will always be religious, and I never contested that.
    I know what you're saying. I've been saying several times that it's unreasonable to assume that it will do so until the very far future, if at all, because there are so many people in the world, and the scenario in which religion is no longer a part of our culture globally is going to be a scenario that either will not occur for several hundreds of generations or will not occur at all.

Now, if you want to look at a specific country and say, "we could see religion fade in about a century or two," I'd be more inclined to agree. But to say that it will just disappear completely is something I'm hard-pressed to believe.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
  • Now, if you want to look at a specific country and say, "we could see religion fade in about a century or two," I'd be more inclined to agree. But to say that it will just disappear completely is something I'm hard-pressed to believe.

I'm kind of bored of going around in circles, so I'm going to pick out this part here. Let me regurgitate some points that this quote quite clearly shows haven't hit hard enough yet:

• I didn't say religion would 'disappear completely' in any reasonable amount of time. I was saying it would fade from prominence in our culture. 3.2 million is enough for that to happen.
    • You are the only person in this thread discussing anything on a global scale. I am talking about western societies (hence my repeated use of the singular term culture). I would consider those western societies to be a part of the specific countries I could look at and say "we could see religion fade in about a century or two".

Unless you can discuss this topic with me under these pretenses, there is no point continuing. This is going nowhere.

Trev

Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    I'm kind of bored of going around in circles, so I'm going to pick out this part here. Let me regurgitate some points that this quote quite clearly shows haven't hit hard enough yet:

• I didn't say religion would 'disappear completely' in any reasonable amount of time. I was saying it would fade from prominence in our culture. 3.2 million is enough for that to happen.
    • You are the only person in this thread discussing anything on a global scale. I am talking about western societies (hence my repeated use of the singular term culture). I would consider those western societies to be a part of the specific countries I could look at and say "we could see religion fade in about a century or two".
    Unless you can discuss this topic with me under these pretenses, there is no point continuing. This is going nowhere.

1.)

Spoiler:

If your points were that religion would lose power in specific countries, that could have been made clearer. The way this is written, you sound like you're expecting religion to become extinct. So if that was a misunderstanding, that's fine, and I will agree to what you want these to me, but know I am basing my arguments entirely on what your words are saying, and "as a whole" means "as a single unit," so I can only reason that you're either expecting "the entire entity that is religion" to disappear based on what you've written (which is also why I've been focusing globally instead of Western-ly) or you're expecting that religion will slowly decline universally across all cultures. You've also not mentioned "prominence," "power," "influence," or anything other word that would directly talk about religion losing power in a country. You've simply said that it will fade, which would indicate that religion itself would disappear (especially when you said "We're talking specifically about countries where religion is declining, and wondering whether or not religion will ever die in those countries."). I have no other way to interpret that, really.

3.2 million is probably enough for religion to stop having enough voting power to influence government and social change in a large country, yes. That much is agreeable.

2.) There has been no indication in any post, excluding one post by Echinda, that has explicitly made any reference to any focus on a specific country or set of countries. You are the only person who has said "we are talking about Western countries" directly. I will always discuss things on a global scale unless asked otherwise, so if the West is where you would like to discuss, yes, that's fine, but you have to make that clear from the beginning, and instead of berating me for discussing things globally when you hadn't made any indication that we weren't until halfway through the conversation, simply ask me to focus on specific countries at the start and I will.

And if you would like to end the conversation, feel free to do so. This has been a week-long conversation :v

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
  • 1.)
    Quotes
    'As a whole' means overall, i.e. not completely. Example from the Collins English dictionary: "As a whole we do not eat enough fibre in Britain"

Does that quote suggest that NOBODY in Britain eats enough fibre?

31291e9d8cd743ce8c4579614ef42927.png

If your points were that religion would lose power in specific countries, that could have been made clearer.
    I will genuinely pull up every single quote of me saying "I'm talking about western societies" if you want me to. There are a couple of them now, too many for you to be only realising this now and scolding me for not being clear enough.

The way this is written, you sound like you're expecting religion to become extinct. So if that was a misunderstanding, that's fine, and I will agree to what you want these to me, but know I am basing my arguments entirely on what your words are saying, and "as a whole" means "as a single unit," so I can only reason that you're either expecting "the entire entity that is religion" to disappear based on what you've written (which is also why I've been focusing globally instead of Western-ly) or you're expecting that religion will slowly decline universally across all cultures. You've also not mentioned "prominence," "power," "influence," or anything other word that would directly talk about religion losing power in a country. You've simply said that it will fade, which would indicate that religion itself would disappear (especially when you said "We're talking specifically about countries where religion is declining, and wondering whether or not religion will ever die in those countries."). I have no other way to interpret that, really.
    Maybe this was a legitimate problem in my writing. Multiple posts ago, that is. I've clarified that religion will likely never die 100% multiple times now, and the only conclusion I can draw is that you've chosen to ignore it up until this point. I had it in rather large bold letters as a tl;dr at the end of one post, and now you decide to come out with "well that could have been clearer". Seriously?

2.) There has been no indication in any post, excluding one post by Echinda, that has explicitly made any reference to any focus on a specific country or set of countries. You are the only person who has said "we are talking about Western countries" directly. I will always discuss things on a global scale unless asked otherwise, so if the West is where you would like to discuss, yes, that's fine, but you have to make that clear from the beginning, and instead of berating me for discussing things globally when you hadn't made any indication that we weren't until halfway through the conversation, simply ask me to focus on specific countries at the start and I will.
    Why would the context of this thread be anything but a western one? You're really splitting hairs. OP asks "Religion is being replaced, what will fill the void?" and you say "Religion isn't being replaced in X random country". It's pretty obvious that's a stupid answer. We just aren't talking about those countries. When the threads opens with Eventually as science replaces religion as an explanation for "why,", it should be pretty damn clear we're not talking about the countries where that won't be the case.

Trev

Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    'As a whole' means overall, i.e. not completely. Example from the Collins English dictionary: "As a whole we do not eat enough fibre in Britain"

Does that quote suggest that NOBODY in Britain eats enough fibre?

31291e9d8cd743ce8c4579614ef42927.png

When you refer to religion "as a whole" you are talking about all religion. That's how that phrase works in that situation. That's literally what the definition means. "As a whole" - the whole entity of religion - all of it. I literally cannot interpret that in any other way :v

I will genuinely pull up every single quote of me saying "I'm talking about western societies" if you want me to. There are a couple of them now, too many for you to be only realising this now and scolding me for not being clear enough.
    This is the first time you mentioned it in our conversation. I immediately addressed it and have been telling you consistently from that point that I wasn't talking about just Western societies in the posts before that.

Maybe this was a legitimate problem in my writing. Multiple posts ago, that is. I've clarified that religion will likely never die 100% multiple times now, and the only conclusion I can draw is that you've chosen to ignore it up until this point. I had it in rather large bold letters as a tl;dr at the end of one post, and now you decide to come out with "well that could have been clearer". Seriously?
    I don't know if you realize this, but saying "religion will fade from our culture" is the same thing as "religion will disappear." They mean the exact same thing. Religion is a cultural component and if it fades from the culture, it disappears (at least, by the standards you've laid out, it would). So yes, I am absolutely going to go with that interpretation. If you had said "religion will lose power," I would be discussing something entirely different. And before you head down this route, yes, religions lose power when they fade from a culture, but they don't need to fade from a culture to lose power.

Why would the context of this thread be anything but a western one? You're really splitting hairs. OP asks "Religion is being replaced, what will fill the void?" and you say "Religion isn't being replaced in X random country". It's pretty obvious that's a stupid answer. We just aren't talking about those countries. When the threads opens with Eventually as science replaces religion as an explanation for "why,", it should be pretty damn clear we're not talking about the countries where that won't be the case.
    Because literally no one specified any specific set of countries in any of their posts. I literally just said when the first mentions of the context being Western were. And as I've stated, I always try to examine in a global context unless there is a specific mention not to. So if someone is trying to say "Western religion" but they just label it as "religion," I'm obviously going to view "religion" in a global context. I've already said this.

Futhermore, my original post was not "religion isn't being replaced in X random country," so if you're going to place something that I said in the middle of our conversation at the beginning, I have nothing else to say, because it's clear that at this point, we're just going to fight about who is saying what and when it was said, and that will be detrimental to this entire conversation. I will take the initiative and end the conversation on both of our behalves, because it's clear we agree on the original topic in a Western context and disagree with it on a global context. There's no further need to discuss anything else.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
  • When you refer to religion "as a whole" you are talking about all religion. That's how that phrase works in that situation. That's literally what the definition means. "As a whole" - the whole entity of religion - all of it. I literally cannot interpret that in any other way :v
    Oh, so the definition coveniently changes in this situation because you said so?

I can't even argue with this. I pasted the definition. I gave an example. There is no other way I can reason with you. Stop arguing semantics with me in your vain attempts to put words into my mouth. Either accept I didn't mean what you think I meant or don't. I don't even care that you misunderstood me, just stop trying to paint it as if I'm backtracking. I don't have the time or the energy. "You misunderstood, here's what I meant" should be satisfactory, but you're distracting us from the topic. Even if that misunderstanding was entirely my fault and I used the word wrong, it shouldn't matter once I've clarified.

This is the first time you mentioned it in our conversation. I immediately addressed it and have been telling you consistently from that point that I wasn't talking about just Western societies in the posts before that.
    And I've been telling you that I was talking about western societies, yet you still contest my points on religion in said cultures. If you think this is such an important distinction, give a straight answer on whether my argument is true for western societies or not. If it is, we're in agreement. If it's not, I don't see why you're even making it an issue by saying things like "you could have made that clearer".

I don't know if you realize this, but saying "religion will fade from our culture" is the same thing as "religion will disappear." They mean the exact same thing. Religion is a cultural component and if it fades from the culture, it disappears (at least, by the standards you've laid out, it would). So yes, I am absolutely going to go with that interpretation. If you had said "religion will lose power," I would be discussing something entirely different. And before you head down this route, yes, religions lose power when they fade from a culture, but they don't need to fade from a culture to lose power.
    Can you be a little more patronising?

Culture: "the way of life of a particular people, esp. as shown in their ordinary behavior and habits, their attitudes toward each other, and their moral and religious beliefs"

When we talk about the aspects of a culture, we're not talking about everything that exists in some form of the society. Plenty of things exist in my country which aren't a part of its culture. I don't see why I have to go through the definition of every word I use just to have this conversation. I'm not here to argue semantics. Again, "That's not what I meant, I actually meant X" should be enough to settle this. I clarified this more than enough times already but it seems you won't let up.

Because literally no one specified any specific set of countries in any of their posts. I literally just said when the first mentions of the context being Western were. And as I've stated, I always try to examine in a global context unless there is a specific mention not to. So if someone is trying to say "Western religion" but they just label it as "religion," I'm obviously going to view "religion" in a global context. I've already said this.
    You just quoted my explanation of exactly why this thread is created for a western context. "Nobody said that" is not a valid response. Actually address my argument.

Futhermore, my original post was not "religion isn't being replaced in X random country,"
    Did I say that was your original post? I don't remember that.

so if you're going to place something that I said in the middle of our conversation at the beginning,
    Seriously? When did I place anything at the beginning? I didn't say that was your first response. I'm not out to get you.

I have nothing else to say, because it's clear that at this point, we're just going to fight about who is saying what and when it was said,
    Yes, that's exactly what you're doing when you bring up two specific phrases I used in one post and try to tell me they don't mean what I think they mean. Not only are your new definitions wrong, it would be pointless even if they were right, because I've clarified what I actually mean and that should be enough.

and that will be detrimental to this entire conversation. I will take the initiative and end the conversation on both of our behalves, because it's clear we agree on the original topic in a Western context and disagree with it on a global context. There's no further need to discuss anything else.
    How do we disagree in a global context if I clarified multiple times I'm only talking in a Western context? I.e. "this may not be true globally speaking".

The exact problem you've just cited as being detrimental to this discussion is caused by you. You're the one repeatedly arguing over semantics. I would love for "Woops, not what I meant, I actually meant it this way" to be enough, but apparently it's not. You won't even let me discuss religion, because you think it's more important to decide who's fault the misunderstanding was (i.e. pushing that I'm using the words wrong, as if that's somehow important.)

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • I think the idea that science will inevitably replace religion is incorrect. It relies on the assumption that the only reason people turn to religion is for an explanation of why things are the way they are, and I think that's a bad assumption. Religion means a lot more than that to many people and there will always be a place for the roles that it fills. It might change with the times and it might fade as an explanation of how things work, but I think it'll always have a place in some peoples' lives.

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
    Years
  • Human morality is not derived from any religion. It precedes religion. Morality can't really be found in science either, that's an entirely different silo. Science is concerned with asking questions and chipping away at that which we do not know. Science is not bothered by our feelings of altruism or lack thereof.

Trouble arises when we consider how much the concept of god was used to explain that which we do not know. It used to be that natural disasters were seen as acts of celestial figures, punishing poor souls below for a reason that would be neatly authored by clerics after the event. Now we know, because of science, that natural disasters do not happen by design. The same is true for countless other claims that used to be ascribed to gods.

These days, critical thinking and evidence has forced gods to recede so much. We know a lot more about the nature of this universe than we used to. Much remains unknown, but at least scientists around the world are having a go at changing that. As for replacing religion, I don't think it will ever leave us. It's part of human nature to be tribal and for many folks, the claim of paradise after the harshness of life is too comforting to criticise.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
    Years
  • Human morality is not derived from any religion. It precedes religion. Morality can't really be found in science either, that's an entirely different silo. Science is concerned with asking questions and chipping away at that which we do not know. Science is not bothered by our feelings of altruism or lack thereof.

Exactly this. Morality is an ideal that only exists solely as a means to extend the species. AKA, so we don't all kill each other over mates, others stealing our food, etc.

Now, as for everyone treating each other with things like fairness, equality. I'm the type of person that still leaves a candle burning for basic humanism. No god, ancient or still widely worshiped, has ANYTHING to do with morality.

These days, critical thinking and evidence has forced gods to recede so much. We know a lot more about the nature of this universe than we used to. Much remains unknown, but at least scientists around the world are having a go at changing that. As for replacing religion, I don't think it will ever leave us. It's part of human nature to be tribal and for many folks, the claim of paradise after the harshness of life is too comforting to criticise.

Sad truth. It's the confines and belief systems of religions that keeps people trapped in it. Things like indoctrination, which every religion is guilty of in some sense, particularly Abrahamic religions and more recluse belief systems. The prevention of allowing people to open their eyes and see the truths of the world.

Though atheism is on the rise. I would hope, someday, that science and basic human instinctual decency, humanism, will triumph and religion will cease to exist.

Years
  • Though atheism is on the rise. I would hope, someday, that science and basic human instinctual decency, humanism, will triumph and religion will cease to exist.

I don't think religion has to disappear for human decency to triumph. Religion isn't the problem, shitty people who use it as an excuse to mistreat others are. Without religion, they'll just find another excuse.

Years
  • I doubt science will ever answer the why, and not only that our morals come from God. Quite frankly it takes too much faith for me to believe we came from nothing, I lack that sort of faith, besides I never liked the whole icky primordial soup story.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I doubt science will ever answer the why, and not only that our morals come from God. Quite frankly it takes too much faith for me to believe we came from nothing, I lack that sort of faith, besides I never liked the whole icky primordial soup story.
    If it takes too much faith to believe that life "came from nothing" or "primordial soup", then why does believing that life came from a deity not?

Back