• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Life] Work it! The fashion club

Years
  • As an art lover I have found a dress on Redbubble that I think is wonderful for a geek like me. There's Andy Warhol here, Klimt, Da Vinci, Botticelli, Michelangelo, Seurat, Van Gogh, van Eyck. It's like I am back in an art history class. The only thing that gives me pause is the neckline, crew necks do nothing for me, I have a shorter neck, which is is odd for a taller girl, and round shoulders, so I wish they had this same pattern cut with a v-neck/ scoop/ something more open to help create the illusion of an elongated look. Still I like the this original print a lot, it's like wearing a big beautiful collage. Also the length is about right for my legs. So I will probably take the plunge. It's called History of Art and designed by Sinais Velasco.

https://www.redbubble.com/i/dress/History-of-art-by-snsdesign/23844846.TGIUM

Years
  • Winter is fast approaching in my hemisphere... time to break out the knitwear!

What do all you fashionistas do with your off-season clothing when it's not in use? Do you remove it from your wardrobe and store it until the weather changes? Or do you keep everything you own together, even when it's the wrong time of year to wear it?

Years
  • How good are you folks at distinguishing materials used in clothing? I am looking at a hat that has a feather on the side of it. I have a penchant for feminine hats with embellishments on it like beading, ribbon etc but I am also trying to be more conscentious shopper with regard to how the products I buy are made, and I would only want to purchase this if it's a synthetic craft feather, rather than a by product from an actual animal like a turkey, duck or goose. I know that artificial feathers can be made out of things like polyester, and not sure if hat in this image is using a real feather or fake one. What do you all think fashion buffa?

Incidentally, this is not an outfit for me, as you may have noticed, it's actually a doll costume, but the materials are the materials regardless, and I thought maybe a fashionista would be able to tell me whether the feather in this sorta steampunk satin and lace bicorne is legit or a reproduction.

While I'm here, I might as well answer that topic question, because Ash Ketchup asked a good one.

What do all you fashionistas do with your off-season clothing when it's not in use? Do you remove it from your wardrobe and store it until the weather changes? Or do you keep everything you own together, even when it's the wrong time of year to wear it?

I tend to keep my clothes together, even if it's the not time of year to wear them yet. I have a walk in closet of decent size with sliding doors, so as someone with a modest amount of clothes there's enough room for what I have in this one space. Short short skirts, long pants, sweaters, tank tops, boots, sandals, casual clothes, formal wear, clothings of all different fabrics and for every type of weather are currently there in this one room. I find it simple and convenient. It's also good for me because I can be disorganized and forget honestly forget I own something if I store it away. Another reason why it doesn't hurt is because the weather can fluctuate in the same season, and you might think you're entering a cold spell and it gets warm again, or vice versa. So I like having all options readily available. I save my storage space instead for bedding, and have recently taken out my electric blankets from the drawers where they have been hibernating since early spring.

Last edited:
    Years
  • How good are you folks at distinguishing materials used in clothing? I am looking at a hat that has a feather on the side of it. I have a penchant for feminine hats with embellishments on it like beading, ribbon etc but I am also trying to be more conscentious shopper with regard to how the products I buy are made, and I would only want to purchase this if it's a synthetic craft feather, rather than a by product from an actual animal like a turkey, duck or goose. I know that artificial feathers can be made out of things like polyester, and not sure if hat in this image is using a real feather or fake one. What do you all think fashion buffa?

I hope you figured this out! I don't want to commit either way because I have seen fake feathers that look real, and real ones that look fake!

Have any of you bought anything interesting lately? I've done pretty well bargain hunting!

Right now I'm breaking in these beautiful knee highs:
    Spoiler:

I got them on sale with a very large reduction, so I'm very happy!

They weren't my best bargain of late though. That honour goes to a lovely boho maxi dress I found on a sale rail... £6 was the price!
    Spoiler:

Years
  • I didn't buy the doll just in case. To answer the latest topic question I did buy a nice light cotton sweater from Annie on Black Friday. It's very pretty, it's heather grey with a design of little earth tone flower. This is it.

Mostly what I have bought lately though are presents for others for the holidays. My mom asked for new pairs of earrings for Christmas presents, so I bought a few from this Etsy shop called Forever In Style. She really loved them.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ForeverInStyle?ref=yr_purchases

I am adding a question too.

What is your go-to attire for keeping warm in the winter?

What keeps me warm and cozy is this hoodie I got a few years back from HBO's shop on a search for Game of Thrones merch. It's a big black/ midnight blue cotton hoodie that has the full text of the Night's Watch oath printed on the front in gold letters.

I seldom wear it because it's quite bulky, heavy/insulating, fit for defending the wall up north in Westoros against the raging winter winds, in most other circumstances it would just be hot and suffocating, but the temps are sufficiently low now, and I have been wearing this to stay warm during the evening and cold winter early mornings. It has served me very well, and I feel so toasty and cozy right now as I type this. I have drawn the string tightly so that you can only see a little of my face, and look like South Park's Kenny.

Years
  • Time for a bump! I've bought a few nice things lately but probably my favourite picks are:

This lovely velvet dress
    Spoiler:

These velvet sandals
    Spoiler:

And the matching black boots to go with the brown ones I mentioned earlier that have since become part of me!
    Spoiler:

Are you all looking forward to the wardrobe changes the new seasons may bring?

Years
  • I m really late for this lol, but I guess I want to become a member aha.

Username: _confused_piplup_

What kinds of fashion do you like?

I may have a weird relationship with fashion. I like clothes and styles, but sometimes I am really into it, while some other times I just don't care lol. That's Angie's dualism ahah. I think that every style is quite cool and amazing, it just depends on who wears it and how. I like classic style, so simple and especially elegant. I like many other styles and very girly ones lol, however I can't really fit them, rip.
    On the other hand, I also really like unique styles and very outstanding clothes that are just particular, but not cringe. The difference between the two is very slight lol, but exists. That kind of outfit that makes you think "wow that's so unique and creative" and that stands out in a crowd, but that isn't cringe lol.

What interests you in fashion?

I am curious about fashion, I guess. Like mainly watching what people wear and how stylish they are. How creative a look may become. Fashion is about fantasy other than taste. So, I like seeing and getting to know more styles and I am curious to see amazing outfits.
    About me, I don't really experiment too much with clothing and I think it kinda has to do with my body, but that's another intricate matter. I am sure that this is also the reason why I love and hate fashion at the same time. Actually, my tastes changed a lot during the years and I think it's also quite normal. For example, I used to love all the amazing and super artistic shows of famous brands like Gucci and so on. Now, tbh I often keep asking myself why is that a thing. Because it's getting to a point where it's about the show and not about fashion anymore. Sometimes they are just cringe imo. Maybe I am missing the point. I am aware fashion is art and I love art, but clothes are still clothes. They were born to be practical, so they should stay practical. Honestly, if you have taste you can make good outfits with few money!

Optional: post a picture of yourself in an outfit you like!
    Can't do that lol sorry

Years
  • I have a question. I don't think it's been asked yet.

Everyone has something that will look good on them! Nobody's perfect though, usually, there's that certain cryptonite of a color, cut, pattern or fabric that doesn't work for you as well other items do.

Are there any kinds of clothes you try to avoid?

I can't wear turtlenecks. I have a short neck, which seems quirky for a tall lady-- you'd think the hand of destiny would deal me a long one. Often people don't notice for awhile that I'm almost 5'9, especially if I'm seated and working at a desk, and I think it's the neck that creates the illusion that I'm smaller than I actually am. Since there's only a little space between my head and shoulders really high collars can swallow me, and I make me seem like a real turtle stuffed in it's shell.

I look great when I ditch collars altogether, and go for a sweater or shirt that has a low cut- Henleys, scoop necks, v necks etc. They give me length, feel comfortable on and look sexy. If I have a collar then it has to be looser and sit lower on the neck like a cowl sweater--those look good on me, or maybe something with buttons that I can adjust and leave an opening at the top. A mock neck is as high as I can go without risking consequences and repercussions!

Other trends I avoid are clothes that show the navel like crop tops, bustiers or knotted up shirts and bikinis. I'd just feel too exposed and don't have a flat stomach for that. I'm not overweight, I just think you really need a small waistline to pull that off. I feel more comfortable in tunics and layered clothing, and when I'm on the surf I'm going to have more coverage than most like a one piece, tank tini or boy shorts.

So are there any clothes you stay clear of, in favor of something else? Or are you one of those lucky individuals that can somehow pull anything off?

Last edited:
    Years
  • I have a question. I don't think it's been asked yet.

Everyone has something that will look good on them! Nobody's perfect though, usually, there's that certain cryptonite of a color, cut, pattern or fabric that doesn't work for you as well other items do.

Are there any kinds of clothes you try to avoid?

I can't wear turtlenecks. I have a short neck, which seems quirky for a tall lady-- you'd think the hand of destiny would deal me a long one. Often people don't notice for awhile that I'm almost 5'9, especially if I'm seated and working at a desk, and I think it's the neck that creates the illusion that I'm smaller than I actually am. Since there's only a little space between my head and shoulders really high collars can swallow me, and I make me seem like a real turtle stuffed in it's shell.

I look great when I ditch collars altogether, and go for a sweater or shirt that has a low cut- Henleys, scoop necks, v necks etc. They give me length, feel comfortable on and look sexy. If I have a collar then it has to be looser and sit lower on the neck like a cowl sweater--those look good on me, or maybe something with buttons that I can adjust and leave an opening at the top. A mock neck is as high as I can go without risking consequences and repercussions!

Other trends I avoid are clothes that show the navel like crop tops, bustiers or knotted up shirts and bikinis. I'd just feel too exposed and don't have a flat stomach for that. I'm not overweight, I just think you really need a small waistline to pull that off. I feel more comfortable in tunics and layered clothing, and when I'm on the surf I'm going to have more coverage than most like a one piece, tank tini or boy shorts.

So are there any clothes you stay clear of, in favor of something else? Or are you one of those lucky individuals that can somehow pull anything off?

I have learned the hard way that I have to avoid certain clothes!

I look best in warm colours for instance (seasonal colour theory is amazing, I highly recommend it!)

I also have an hourglass shape so I need to wear clothes that are either fitted, or have a cinched waist - I own a lot of belts and clip cinchers for this reason.

Boxy and loose fitting clothes are not my friends!!! Neither are low or mid waisted bottoms, my body shape really needs a high waistline. Square necklines also look terrible on me!

Years
  • I have a topic, ACCESORIES!

Fashion isn't just about apparel, are there any accesories you wear/carry with you like jewelry, hats, belts, ties, sunglasses, hair accesories, bags watches etc? Surely there's something!

I like scarves and hats. My hair has a strong will of it's own, and can take time, care, products and heat to style, so sometimes instead of that I prefer a shorter route, and don a sassy hat, or wrap some of it in a pretty fashion scarf. Plus they are fun to collect, and I have got some shelves full of them for different looks. My favorite hat is a little white crochet knit cotton cap I got from France with an oversized pearlescent pink decorative button on it. I love it for winter. When it's cold outside I definitely rock scarves and hats every day just to brave the snows, and will wear mittens too.

A touch of jewelry can be my accesory too. I don't have a lot of it, but I usually go out with a pair of earrings at least to be a bit less boring. I like fashion jewelry that will just have an interesting design, often from small businesses and indie artists at venues like Novica or Etsy or local craft stores. The earrings from my jewelry box that I wear the most tend to be ones made of simple glass. I found a pair earrings on Etsy that were real rosebuds that had been preserved and put into pieces of glass, and hang from gold French hook ear wire. Those are probably my favs.

I typically I don't think to buy other kinds of jewelry like rings, bracelets, necklaces etc. They look real nice, and I own a few, but they were gifts. I wear them to remind myself of the friend or family member who gave them to me, especially if they are near to show my appreciation, or if I really want to upgrade an outfit-- good to have for special ocassions, my default look is normally pretty simple though.

I tend not to put a lot of money into jewelry, I don't usually have it to spend for one, two I don't have many places to go that you dress up for, and three I worry about accidents and valuables getting damaged or stolen, which has happened to me before. However...I did recently get a really nice ring for a present that I am proud of. It's a champagne sapphire with rose gold and a diamonds. My mom gave it to me for my birthday because I am the same age now that she was when she had me. Sapphires are my birthstone, and I like the idea of having one or two in my possession, especially because they are associated with wisdom and clarity. Sapphires are normally blue, but can come in many different colors, I had only seen the pink and blue ones, before this, they can be red, yellow, orange, green, violet, pastels, there are star sapphires, sapphires that change colors. They are something.

Here it is on my finger.

Spoiler:

Years
  • What a great topic! Accessories are probably my favourite part of fashion!

Since I was a child, I have always been fascinated by bracelets, some necklaces but I always had quite an obsession with watches. I love watches and their shapes and so on. I remember visiting my grandparents' house and bringing back home a granddad's watch every time lol. Even if they didn't work, it was so cool for me to have them lol. Grandparents didn't really mind because they were all broken or useless.
    But tbh my obsession continues, indeed I would like to know more about watches, how they are made, the designing part, how to repair them. It's a very interesting thing!

As for other accessories, I remember having a lot of interest in bracelets and necklaces. I remember I had a phase where I wore a lot of them. I also remember a fun episode: I was begging my mom to gift me a special bracelet she had got as a present some time before. She really didn't want to, but I was insistent and won. Poor mom, I am still sorry for breaking here bracelet some years later. It's probably still reparable and I mean, I will probably still beg her to give it to me lol because it's a very nice bracelet. It's blue and steel grey with a very small precious stone on it. About necklaces, I have never had great tastes but yeah I remember wearing two of them every time I was in black to play in the orchestra. A small cross that was in steel grey and a rose gold part in the middle. Ok, that's nice tbh lol. The other one was a small black dragon, because I have always been fascinated by dragons and animals. A lot of other bracelets and necklaces have a dragon or an animal, in fact lol.

Ok, lastly my recent (like 5 years) obsession with sunglasses. It's probably the accessory that catches my interest the most, along with watches. The shapes, the colors, I spend much time looking online at different styles of sunglasses. I am the kind of person that likes uncommon or extravagant designs, so I try to find those with accessories. I have never had sunglasses though, because every summer I can't really choose lol. Anyway, yes I really like sunglasses.

Years
  • I'm subscribed to the YouTube channel Aly Art, which is a channel that has fashion reviews and recommends haircuts and clothes, has color guides, contouring tutorials and other beauty tips. In addition she makes videos about many style icons of both present day and past.

This is an interesting video I found about Hollywood actress, singer, model and legend Marilyn Monroe. While she is one of the great beauties of history this video goes into depth about some of features she had that she was self-conscious about. I don't see any of these characteristics as a problem, I think she's delightful in all of the photos. I see it as an interesting study of the unreachable and often arbitrary standards people have been held to, standards that are also subject to change as the culture and time changes. I also discovered things about her that I never noticed, like that she had freckles, something that I find very cute. A lot of her earlier pictures don't show then because she would bleach her skin and wear heavy foundation to hide that, and then the pictures would get retouched by editors. The hoops she jumped through to hide certain features are fun facts.

Years
  • I've been on the hunt for sparkly outfits for Eurovision lately! I bought this dress in both silver and black:

Spoiler:

Hopefully I can find some more sparkles!

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
  • Thank you everyone for keeping this club alive. Even though I used to have a link to it in my signature, I sometimes forgot about it. My apologies for once again being a forgetful host.

I got a big set of earrings off of Amazon about a year and half ago, 19 pairs for $15. It was a great deal, and I still love shuffling through them and picking out different pairs to wear. They're all "silly" earrings like gummy bears, rubber duckies, dinosaurs, and cherries. My favorite ones are probably the ones that look like goldfish in plastic bags. I get a lot of compliments whenever I wear them.

Years
  • Taylor will look like a goddess stepped down to earth in the long shimmering gowns. The black is my favorite! I wonder if it's available in gold, because that color suits me, matches my skin. Not that i would have anywhere exciting to wear a dress like that anytime soon, but a girl can dream!

I haven't experimented with sparkle in my clothes before, but I do like glittery makeup like lipgloss and for the special ocassion eyeshadow, bronzer etc. I order my makeup from a small business in California called Addictive Cosmetics. A pretty lady hand makes and sells foundations, blushes, liners, lipsticks moisturizers and more. They are all gorgeous, with funky names are super gentle on the skin and natural, no harsh chemicals. Instead of fake dyes she uses powder from mica to color the makeup. Because this is a shining stone the makeup made from it also tends to make your face really radiant and glitter.

Her makeup also has many ingredients to promote healthy skin and not block the pores like vitamin e, shea butter, aloe, coconut oil, vanilla, candelila, all vegan, paraben-free, soy-free and gluten-free.

Back