• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Charizard, Venusaur or Blastoise?

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
Years
Blastoise was my starter of choice as a kid but later on when I replayed I often went Charizard.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I like Blastoise, amazing design, good Pokemon, full of nostalgia and can help you on your journey, but it was the counter to Charizard not Venusaur.

Let's not forget that Venusaur is faster than Blastoise so it is going to hit first. Blastoise's special was 25 points lower than it is today. Grass moves automatically are special in gen 1, so Blastoise will be hit by crit hits and stab super-effective damage in the area where his defense are not quite as fortified. It could survive 1 razor leaf from Venusaur but not 2. It has to just one shot Venusaur on its turn, which even the strongest possible ice move Blizzard would not be enough to do. It would have to be very lucky and get a freeze hax. I was surprised to find that Venusaur's special was enough to withstand an assault even from Articuno when I did the damage calcs with RBY mechanics.

Surprising you didn't pick the dragon in this scenario, my friend. >:D

Years
Surprising you didn't pick the dragon in this scenario, my friend. >:D

So I would have if the question was which one do you like best :)
Charizard is my favorite starter not just in Kanto but out of all seven generations, but the question did not ask me for my fav alas, tmlftw22 asked our opinion about who offered the most advantages. Just because Charizard is my favorite doesn't mean I can't be an fair-minded judge! Sometimes, you have to make tough decisions and I think Venusaur was objectively stronger in the context the poster is talking about, though Charizard made one hell of a comeback from the rear with two awesome megas in gen 6. I honestly love all three of the Kanto starters, they are my favorite over all regions, all are very capable with good designs.

Sun Fin

Ace Trainer
Years
I am definitely Team Charizard! He is still my favourite starter to this day, and seven further generations! I think he is made better in Yellow by being able to use fly.

While I know Bulbasaur was strictly the best early game I personally don't rate Venusaur late game due to the lack of Flame Thrower/Surf equivalent damage move and the fact that SolarBeam requires charging. I think that might be a somewhat controversial viewpoint though!

Zankew

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
Years
bulbasaur is the best because it has many advantages like the first as well as second gym

Limey-chan

Batzu
Years
^ Bulbasaur was the first starter I chose on my very first ever playthrough of Pokemon Blue all those years ago for that exact reason.

But yeah, Squirtle is my favourite starter of any region, so by association i'm picking Blastoise. I love his design, and how once you've obtained him in Gen 1, you need not train up any other Pokemon because his movepool is so OP.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 10, 2024
Blastoise has a good movepool, consisting of Surf, Ice Beam, Submission and even Earthquake, although I usually teach it Strength in order to have both a strong team and a means of getting around obstacles. It is also quite bulky, which means it would only be at a disadvantage against Electric, Grass and Pokémon with high Special.

Venusaur is very good if used frequently against the Hikers and the Swimmers, or any Trainer that uses Water, Rock or Ground-types in general. Razor Leaf is dope in Gen I because of the critical hit mechanics. It can be taught Toxic to help catch the Legendary Birds, though it takes luck, assuming you're saving the Master Ball for Mewtwo. Sleep Powder is a very solid move to help catch numerous Pokémon in the wild.

Charizard is rather difficult, since it will take a while for Charmander or Charmeleon to learn Flamethrower, which wasn't a TM move back then, but it does have one very good move that complements it's usable Speed; Slash. It crits very often thanks to its good Speed.

I would definitely stick with Blastoise, if I had to choose.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 21, 2022
Charizard and Venusaur are tied for being my favorite out of the three, I like Venusaur alot and used it alot in fan games, but with gen 1 I always chose fire, simply because fire was the lesser common types out of the 3. I never chose blastoise because of how many water types there were, Starmie was one who usually ended up in my hall of fame team

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
i have a massive gremlin brain that says me like to burn so. y'all already know who it is

Back