• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What was your favourite Mystery Dungeon game?

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
Years
  • My favorite one is definitely Explorers of Sky! I'd go far enough to say that it's even my favorite Pokémon game of all time. The story, characters, and music were absolutely beautiful, and the gameplay has remained engaging no matter how many times I play it. =)

I still really love the others, though! I haven't completed Super Mystery Dungeon yet, but I certainly am having a blast with it so far. ^^

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Explorers of... Darkness, I think? I can't remember if I had Time or Darkness but that was the first time a Pokemon game ever made me cry, ahaha. I got very invested in it!!

Years
    • Seen today
    I liked them all. But if I had to choose a favorite, I guess I had the most fun with Super Mystery Dungeon.

The only one I haven't played is Gates to Infinity.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
  • The only one I haven't played is Gates to Infinity.

Same here—hopefully that'll change someday! I've only gotten to try out the demo, but I really want to give this game a proper chance when I have the time. The story seems promising, from what I could tell!

Years
  • Super Mystery Dungeon and Explorers of Sky are hands down the best PMD games, ever. While there are others that are certainly worth consideration (like PMD Blue Rescue Team), I don't think any will really compare to these two titles.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Sky wins hands down for me. The story portrayal, character development and soundtrack is just a work of art. The newer games are alright but they don't seem to have that depth like the previous games have.

Years
  • PMD1 was my favorite for completionism, and is the game in which I get most attached to team members I recruit along the way.

PMD2 was my favorite for storyline and music, and also creative postgame shenanigans; it is the only game in which I figured out how to cheat and modify pokemon movesets, with hilarious results.

I skipped GTI; something about not all pokemon being obtainable made me irrationally upset.

Super is a masterpiece of gameplay by PMD standards. The storyline isn't quite paced right, but it is the only game that really tested my roguelike skills. A dungeon that would be considered easy by PSMD standards is equivalent in difficulty to the deep floors of Western Cave or Zero Isle North in earlier titles. Also, it allowed me to feel like a genius sometimes, with plays like bringing Golduck to the Primal Groudon fight, or using Nidoqueen to stomp all over Path of Fallen Leaves.

pkmin3033

Blue Rescue Team, because friend areas. Chimecho Assembley and the Connection Orb were both lazy and uninspired, and that lack of a personal touch didn't give the later titles much in the way of charm, really. Even though it has the fewest Pokemon in it, at least I got to see them absently wandering around in their free time. In a series like Pokemon, where very little changes, the little things count, and taking out friend areas was the biggest mistake they made with the series.

Super Mystery Dungeon gets points for including every Pokemon and making them actually recruitable, though. The recruitment rates in the DS titles were obscene for some Pokemon, and no Arceus in Sky outside of a pointless statue was...vexing. Although SMD pushed you through the story at an uncomfortable pace that I didn't care for.

...obviously I won't be talking about Gates to Infinity. That doesn't qualify.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2022
    Omg has to be Explorers of Sky I played that game sooo many times.I literally cried during the Time Darkness and Sky series(only game to ever make me cry) and it had feels good soundtracks and amazing storyline so it definitely gets my vote.

Back