• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Yellow hack: Spark Yellow

Years
  • Hack of: Yellow version (using the pokeyellow disassembly)

Introduction
    Spark Yellow is a hack I wanted to do for quite a while, everything started when I was little, for my bday I was supposed to get a brand new spanking Yellow, instead with the money my moms gave to my pops, he went out and bought a second hand console with a second hand yellow cart. At that time I did not know and just seeing the console and the cartridge was something divine. But then when I popped yellow in and turned the gbc on, ferk me was in Spanish and i was not able to understand a single word of what was going on, so from that day on I spent countless nights and days with my at the time child intellect, thinking how cud I change the game language. That event is the one that shaped my life as is right now, and drove me to the world of videogames. Thanx dad for been a cheapo ass, anyhow fast forward to few years ago, I stumbled upon dannye/pokeyellow-gen-II repo and observing it I had an idea... Why do not I make my own version of Yellow using this repo as a base? So Spark Yellow was born!

This hack follows the standard Gen 1 storyline, aside from few twist and turns to enrich the lore of Gen 1 universe. Graphics have and will be almost all worked from the ground up, new revamped yellow mons sprites, revamped trainers sprites, new OW sprites, new tilesets and if I can figure out how I cud add some GSC song for the towns that currently share theirs with others. Anyhow here is a comprehensive list of all features:

Graphical Features
    • All Trainer Classes sprites have been revamped, some have their female counterpart and some are brand new from beta leftovers such as soldier and firefighter.
    • Each City has its own tileset, so no more standard white houses for the entire region.
    • Each internal map will have also its own tileset when required, like for example Seafoam islands or Cerulean cave, just haven't got that far into drawing internal tilesets.
    • Every mon sprite will be revamped from the ground up, currently 30 or 25 of them have been done so far, still got some way to go but I'm doing my best.
    • Some OW sprites will be also redrawn to be consistent with their battle sprite, like bugcatchers or blackbelts. Currently few have been redrawn.
    • New OW sprite for Surfing Pika and also brand new Flying Pika.
    • New interface for trainer card and pokedex.
    • Brand new backsprite for Player, Oak and old man.
    • Bicycle turned into Skateboard cuz why not, Heck yeah!
    • Tweaked title screen.

Mons:
    • All 151 mons will be obtainable.
    • All unobtainable mons of yellow version can be found in the wild, for example Jynx in Seafoam Islands or Meowth around the Routes surrounding Saffron City.
    • All mons wild locations have been updated to either JPN Green's way or Red and Blue's.
    • Night mons spawning locations also added. During nightime some water mons might come out to feed, who knows where they will be lurking... (This feature is tighted up to the day/night system).
    • Eevee can be obtained in Celadon same as the og way, in the game corner as prize and by trading with an NPC.
    • Mew will be the a roaming legendary.
    • Moltres no longer is situated in Victory Road but in a new map.
    • Pikachu can evolve as before using Thunder Stone.
    • He can learn surf and fly. ;)

Gameplay
    • Fixed all known bugs of Gen 1.(check out my repo if you want more in depth info regarding such, link will be at the bottom of this post.)
    • Tweaked the way Trainer AI works to make the game more challenging(check out my repo if you want more in depth info regarding such, link will be at the bottom of this post.)
    • Tweaked how the Battle core mechanics work to match Gen 2 Standars, when feasible off course.(check out my repo if you want more in depth info regarding such, link will be at the bottom of this post.)
    • Infinite use TMs.
    • Restored Gary's losing quotes.
    • Added Item descrition to bag.
    • Running shoes mechanic with Pikachu not lagging behind player, faster biking and surfing.
    • No more annoyig surfing music inside dungeons.
    • Every mon has its unique sprite in the Party Menu.
    • Shiny mons implemented.
    • All mons have gender.
    • Tweaked Gym Leaders and E4 roasters.
    • Cerulean Cave has same layut as JPN Green's version.
    • Supe basic day/night system with night exclusive mons.
    • Fix unfinished unused song and renabled it to play in Viridian City.
    • Added Fairy, Steel and Dark type.
    • Updated weakness and resistance table to account for new types.
    • Surfing minigame unlocked.

Possible Features to be added
    • Berry system
    • New moves
    • Adding some new mons
    • Giving mons new type
    • Following Raichu
    • First mon in party follows
    • Basic happiness system for all mons
    • Raichu Surfing minigame
    • Gender Selection
    • Eevee instead of Pika
    • Roaming Mew
    • New internal map Cinnabar Volcano
    • Automatic Repel System
    To Be Continued

Don't want to spoil everything (You can read the source code if you're interested or want more info https://github.com/SteppoBlazer/pokesparkyellow)

Screenies
    xulqef1.png

tFZlE5m.png

Bugs to iron out
    • Palette for indoor maps not updating properly, probably my attempt at a night day system palette switch and the new tileset I inserted messed the all thing up.
    • Shiny mons have to have their own unique palette to be shown properly.
    •Unwanted tile from Shiny sparkle new animation present in nickname screen for some odd reason.
    •Pikas facepic palette is also messed up probably related with the new tilesets or palette switch.
    •Implementing extra tiles blocks for tilesets made the trainer card time display not showing the 2 dots anymore.
    •Certain interior maps, all the ones not connected or locted in any town display a wrong palette, probably fault of new tileset or day/night system palette switch.
    •Occasionaly Pikas OW sprite dissappears when passing certain tile block of the new tilesets, and some OW sprites flickers some.
    •Ledges do not work as intended with the new inserted tilesets

Credits
    • All the fabulous folks over at Skeetendo and on Discord.
    Mateo, Rangi, dannye, BloodlessNS, ISSOtm, Jace, Helix.hackrom, N-ergyTheMighty, EeVeeEe, Tommo, Dr. Reality, Pia Carrot,PikalaxALT, Tepokato any other who I might forgot to mention and credit

Last edited by a moderator:

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
    Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    Sounds cool. Too bad I don't understand how to put a disassembly together so I can play it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2023
    I got to say. It very beautiful Nostalgia! Looking forward to play it

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • Mons:
    • All 151 mons will be obtainable.
    • Pikachu can evolve as before using Thunder Stone.

Possible Features to be added

• Adding some new mons
    • Following Raichu
    • First mon in party follows
    • Gender Selection
    • Eevee instead of Pika

Screenies
    xulqef1.png

tFZlE5m.png

1.Cool no need to trade with other player then
    2.H*ll yeah, i hated that our pikachu didn't wanted to evolve into the ol powerful Raichu, maybe now this will be interesting
    3.Yeah that's what i like about gen. 1 like pokemon brown/grape/red DX
    4 & 5.Cool
    6.Huh?
    7.That would be so cool

Last edited:

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • This looks absolutely gorgeous! Apparently there's a downloading, I have no clue on how to compile a disassembly. If possible, could you link us to a patch? Thank you!

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2023
    Very Nice,
    I like it.
    But i get an Error
    1. python: can't open file 'extras/pokemontools/scan_includes.py
    2. error: unable to open incbin file 'gfx/surfing_pikachup_1a.2bpp

Need help.

Sry for my bad english.

Years
  • Thanx guys! Really appreciate the positive feedback. Regarding download links, playable version and the likes, you guys gotta keep in mind that I am working on this project by myself, so it will take me sometime before I am done with everything. As of now there is no patch nor downloadable file, since is still under construction. You can still visit my repository where ya can assemble your own file but beware it's incomplete, playable yes, but not much has been done in terms of graphics yet since I mapped up the OW till route 25 still got a long way to go, so I am sorry to dissappoint some of you. But patience will repay ya guys in the end I promise!

Last edited:
    Years
  • I have no clue what PSS stands for. As said before It is not a complete hack yet, so for me there is no reason to realease a patch of something that is still buggy and unfinished, also if someone wants to build from the repo you hafta get an older version of RGBDS 2.5, yes I know, eventually I will get to update the whole repo to use a most recent version of RGBDS. Anyhow I will keep posting updates as I go by with the dev process

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm still using an older version of RGBDS namengly 2.5. One of these days I will need to update the whole thing to make use of latest version of RGBDS

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • Aye, so I managed to play the source code version on GitHub. I really like the aesthetic choices you are going with for Pallet town. I did notice that the Pikachu following the main character would vanish occasionally, but I reckon that will be fixed since it's an early version. Looking forward to an official release!

Back