• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Yellow hack: Spark Yellow

blitz_2k

Kabe
Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    PSS = Physical Special Split
    So I'll ask again, is PSS implemented in this hack?

Years
  • Aye, so I managed to play the source code version on GitHub. I really like the aesthetic choices you are going with for Pallet town. I did notice that the Pikachu following the main character would vanish occasionally, but I reckon that will be fixed since it's an early version. Looking forward to an official release!
    Thanx man I really appreciate the luv n support. Sadly since it's still in fully fledge dev time there are bugs to iron out, but if U wanna play thru the story I believe u can from top to bottom tho some maps are still untouched. The vanishing issue is due to the fact that I am using custom tilesets, and Pikachu's tile block detection routine is not yet been updated properly hence his dissappearance here and there.

Years
  • PSS = Physical Special Split
    So I'll ask again, is PSS implemented in this hack?

I've been studying a bit this PSS stuff. Also how it works and what sort of gameplay improvement it offers, and as of my understanding it really does not add up anything significant to the game. Simply put, in my opinion coding a bunch stuff and investing time for having a simple text box with some printed text inside show up on screen, it's not worth the effort. Plus I got ton of other stuff to work on as is, that I really see no reason to put in the already very small chunck of free time I got to do such

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2023
    Hi! It very beautiful indeed! having a colour spirite from gen 1 spirit is nostalgia. because some of the colour hack they using the Gen II spirit.
    Keep up the good work. I hope I be able to play in full version later. Take your much time as you need.
    But if you be able to colour the whole game like Pokemon Red DX or Pokemon Red +++ will be batter. I hope

Years
  • Some maps from Pokemon Spark Yellow
    Spark Yellow

Spark Yellow

Spark Yellow

Spark Yellow

Spark Yellow

Spark Yellow

Spark Yellow

Spark Yellow

Spark Yellow

Spark Yellow

Spark Yellow

Spark Yellow

Spark Yellow

Spark Yellow

Spark Yellow

Spark Yellow

Spark Yellow

Spark Yellow

Spark Yellow

Spark Yellow

Spark Yellow

Spark Yellow

Spark Yellow

Last edited:

Murderlinez3

Shiny Scyther
    Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2022
    Unfortunately this hack is not so good as others but I think I will give it a try...

By the way, I wish everyone a happy new year. Let the fireworks start today. 🤗
    2020 is coming soon 2:17 left

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2024
    I've been studying a bit this PSS stuff. Also how it works and what sort of gameplay improvement it offers, and as of my understanding it really does not add up anything significant to the game. Simply put, in my opinion coding a bunch stuff and investing time for having a simple text box with some printed text inside show up on screen, it's not worth the effort. Plus I got ton of other stuff to work on as is, that I really see no reason to put in the already very small chunck of free time I got to do such

You what? The Split he's referring to is what happened in Gen 4, where the moves became Physical or Special damage on a case-by-case basis rather than just being based off the type of the move. For example, in Gen 3, both Shadow Ball and Shadow Punch were Physical moves because both were Ghost type, but in Gen 4 Shadow Ball became a Special Move because it was indirect while Shadow Punch remained Physical is it is direct contact. It is not an exaggeration to say that this was the most important and influential decision to come about regarding Pokemon ever. It is absolutely worth the effort.

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • You what? The Split he's referring to is what happened in Gen 4, where the moves became Physical or Special damage on a case-by-case basis rather than just being based off the type of the move. For example, in Gen 3, both Shadow Ball and Shadow Punch were Physical moves because both were Ghost type, but in Gen 4 Shadow Ball became a Special Move because it was indirect while Shadow Punch remained Physical is it is direct contact. It is not an exaggeration to say that this was the most important and influential decision to come about regarding Pokemon ever. It is absolutely worth the effort.

The downside of using PSS in Gen1/2 hacks is the fact we are limited to 254 moves. It leads to very lame learnsets and nothing is really unique. It might work in gen 1 but do you really need PSS in gen 1 of all the Pokemon games that exist? If the creator wants to keep it like the originals then let him, he shouldn't be inclined to implement because people want to min-max a ROM hack.

Years
  • Cud probably cram it into it, I wanna first finish mapping the bloody OW and Indoors, fix the bugs that are present and then tweak and add up what is feasible

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Sun Moon said:
    You what? The Split he's referring to is what happened in Gen 4, where the moves became Physical or Special damage on a case-by-case basis rather than just being based off the type of the move. For example, in Gen 3, both Shadow Ball and Shadow Punch were Physical moves because both were Ghost type, but in Gen 4 Shadow Ball became a Special Move because it was indirect while Shadow Punch remained Physical is it is direct contact. It is not an exaggeration to say that this was the most important and influential decision to come about regarding Pokemon ever. It is absolutely worth the effort.
    You forgot something important: the moves in RBY Gen 4 onwards were still the same in attack assignments. The only moves really effected would be Bite due to Dark type being a thing, Sludge, Acid, and Tri Attack. This was before all of those other things that PSS would be even wanted for. And I guess Hyper Beam, but that would be for the worst. At best PSS would be no change with all that effort gone to waste.

I mean the only ones effected in vanilla would be... Gengar? You can just shift Ghost to Special and Dark to Physical as that's the only ghost type, if you really wanted to. Flareon wouldn't even get anything out of this due to movepool limits.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I hate Kanto, but this one looks nice. I tried to install it, but I had a problem with make.
    It says that the file " gfx/surfing_pikachu_1a.2bpp" is missing, and so the make fails (Error 127)
    Don't know why, could you please check why?

Del

Iт'ѕ rαιɴιɴɢ oυтѕιde [...]
    Years
  • Well done, I wish if it was Crystal based, so you could play two regions with Rred (I know its near-impossible to make a pikachu following you)

Back