• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Do you still play the Gen 1 games?

Years
  • Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow are over 20 years old now! (Since the Japanese release). Do you still play them at all? or has it been a while since you've touched them?
    Some of us may still be playing considering the VC release, but I'd like to get your thoughts!

Recently I just restarted again on my 151 run of Blue. I'm going to try to collect all 151 Pokemon in blue. I'll only be using in game glitches for Mew. (and a copy of Red.)

Last edited:

noa

sleeping cutie
    Years
  • Yes, I replay them every 5 years or so :)
    I'm actually currently playing Red on my 3ds :D Got Charmeleon, Clefairy and Butterfree so far.

uchihamadada

Victory! Means Others Destruction!!
    Years
  • Of course!! I really love Pokemon Yellow!! I´m still playing that version with an emulator in my Smartphone...It's great to kill time when you're travelling by bus while going to work, I reacently catch Mew by Glitch in Cerulean Bridge :)

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
  • I'm doing a Pikachu solo run in my virtual console copy of Yellow right now! I'm also planning a Nuzlocke on my physical copy of Yellow. My physical Blue and Red are already almost to the Elite Four and I need them to trade with Crystal.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I've been playing my Red on and off. I've been thinking about getting Yellow to play through as well.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • I've played them many times. This year alone I did a Bug-type monotype, and I'm currently doing a Nuzlocke Challenge in Yellow.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Bought Yellow not long after it came out and it still works after 20 years. Currently just started my own custom challenge. If anyone wants to try it, here's a rundown:

1) Maximum of 6 active Pokemon.
    2) Only one Pokemon of a respective type per game once caught. If a Pokemon dies(aka faints), it must be immediately boxed and you may not catch another Pokemon of the same type(Ex: Capturing Pikachu(Electric) means all Electric types are locked). Starter counts towards Active Pokemon list and locks that corresponding Type(Charmander locks Fire, Bulbasaur locks Grass, Squirtle locks Water and Pikachu locks Electric). Pokemon with dual typing may be caught but the Typing must be declared upon capture(Ex: Pidgey is Normal/Flying type. When caught, must declare if its for Normal or Flying typing. Meaning it would be possible to catch both Pidgey and Spearow since one would be for Normal while the other for Flying).
    3) Gym Battles are on equal terms. For Pokemon Yellow, Brock and Misty are 2v2 Pokemon Battles, Lt.Surge is 1v1 while Erika, Sabrina and Blaine are 3v3. Koga is 4v4 while Giovanni is 5v5. E4 is full team due to rival having 6 at end. Non-participating Pokemon must be boxed prior to Gym Battle and any participating Pokemon must not be higher in level than the strongest Pokemon of Gym Leader.
    4) HM Moves may be taught to active Pokemon while TM moves are restricted to the following condition: It must be a STAB move and be taught to a Pokemon that doesn't learn a STAB move naturally(Ex: Sandshrew being taught Dig). Otherwise TM's must be sold or boxed.
    5) Potions and other items are self-found and can be used at any time. Liberal use of Pokemon Centers is permitted and recommended due to cap on Active Pokemon. May only purchase Poke Balls and Game Corner Coins(to exchange for Pokemon).
    6) Evolutions are not permitted. Exceptions are Caterpie line, Weedle line and Abra to Kadabra. Eevee may also be evolved but counts towards Normal and w/e element it evolves into.

Any questions, feel free to ask me. This challenge means no Flash for Rock Tunnel(not like its 100% needed).

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    No, I can replay every generation except Gen 1 like stated previously, the games haven't aged well and I can't stand the sprite work.

Last edited:

Guest123_x1

Occasionally, particularly when I'm at the hair salon waiting to get my haircut, I'll play Red, Blue, and Yellow on my 2DS. Though I haven't had physical Game Paks of the main series Pokémon games from 2006 until I got my 2DS and Alpha Sapphire in 2015 (and only legitimately reacquired Generation I when the Virtual Console re-releases came out), I would occasionally, starting around 2012, play Blue, Yellow, and Generation II via emulators, just to relive the memories of playing those games during my childhood.

Back