• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Subbed] This anime is actually good

Melody

Banned
Years
  • It's because there are 3 Pokegirls right now, each with their own competing needs that they seem a little flat. That hopefully will get smoothed out with time. After 6 generations of Pokegirls being the token girl, I'm actually happy to see that there are way more girls

Are girls harder to genuinely portray? Yes. You betcha. But give it time...

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2019
    Mmm. That person doesn't exist yet. Well maybe he does in the JP version but that's largely irrelevant. I told you I watch the dub. So that person simply doesn't exist quite yet. We'll see.
    I knew that you whatch the dub, that's why I didn't say his name. He does exist but only in the japanese version for now.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Ok, so my opinion is based on the [Dub] found on DisXD, so Pardon if I seem behind.

Lillie: She's elegant, and draws a lot of screen time. I suspect that there's gonna be some plot later that thrusts her in the spotlight. Already she's acclimating to things and learning not to be such a wallflower, but that's not without it's advantages.

Lana: She's quiet and sweet like Lillie is. Of course she's a lot more confident in herself, and it's apparent. I honestly felt like some moments starring her felt forced, outside of the plot where she spends time bonding with her Popplio and training it. She shines in moments with Pokemon and it shows. Not so much around people.

Mallow: Whoa. Wow. She's like a female Ash. She's outgoing, exciteable, fun and most of all quite motherly and very impulsive. Like Ash she's also a Force of Personality. She really has her own thing. I haven't seen anything developing her character much though, and she's due it. I know she's onscreen quite a bit, but it's always supportively for someone else. Want to see some real Mallow to Shine. Haven't seen any yet.

Sophocles: Hehehe. Cute. Togedemaru just drives home how young he is. You don't see a lot of Pokemon who are quite as evidently feminine as Togedemaru is. It's a refreshing thing to see. Especially since she just happens to be a hyperactive ball of cute. I get the feeling she's young too.

Kiawe: Dependable guy, seems miles ahead of Ash. Seriously, someone get this guy a freaking stamp or two. Maybe he just overcommits himself, but definitely a gentle rival for Ash. I'm so glad this time a possible rival isn't a douche nozzle like Gary or Paul.

Mallow is a Deredere(look it up) but she's not a Female Ash but rather a Female Brock. Her flirtatious body language and female pheromones via Bounsweet give me the impression of a Female version of Brock. I'm telling ya that if Brock was to make a reappearance in the anime, that meeting would be one for the ages. Mallow would be all over him faster than Togedemaru and Croagunk wouldn't know what to do(Do I hit a girl?).

Sophocles is a more annoying version of Clemont and honestly if he left the show, not many would miss him. Even Togedemaru isn't 100% loyal to the guy. As for the rest, decent portrayal of their character but I find Lana to be an Enigma. Id really love to see more attention to her development so as to peel back the layers to her icy outside(Kuudere potentially?). An early ship I hope develops is LanaxKiawe(opposites attract).

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Mallow is a Deredere(look it up) but she's not a Female Ash but rather a Female Brock. Her flirtatious body language and female pheromones via Bounsweet give me the impression of a Female version of Brock. I'm telling ya that if Brock was to make a reappearance in the anime, that meeting would be one for the ages. Mallow would be all over him faster than Togedemaru and Croagunk wouldn't know what to do(Do I hit a girl?).

Sophocles is a more annoying version of Clemont and honestly if he left the show, not many would miss him. Even Togedemaru isn't 100% loyal to the guy. As for the rest, decent portrayal of their character but I find Lana to be an Enigma. Id really love to see more attention to her development so as to peel back the layers to her icy outside(Kuudere potentially?). An early ship I hope develops is LanaxKiawe(opposites attract).

Disagree strongly on the Deredere front. She strikes me as sweet but *not that sweet*. Furthermore there's absolutely no "dearly beloved" for her {dere}dere over, and Kiawe isn't it. So no. I don't ship it, they hardly interact or know one another much aside from coincidentally living in the same region.

If I were to peg anyone with the Deredere label, it'd have to be Lana or Lillie. Mallow is empathethic and outgoing for sure, but NOT DEREDERE. Not even close.

colabear9

Lurker
    Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2018
    I guess I can't judge at all (maybe?) because i haven't actually watched a whole episode, just subbed clips on youtube. I don't really like the Eng. dub (I mean, most people don't). The Japanese VAs are pretty good! I like Satoshi's (Ash's) voice. From what I've seen, I think it's really cute.
    Just my opinion though!

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Disagree strongly on the Deredere front. She strikes me as sweet but *not that sweet*. Furthermore there's absolutely no "dearly beloved" for her {dere}dere over, and Kiawe isn't it. So no. I don't ship it, they hardly interact or know one another much aside from coincidentally living in the same region.

If I were to peg anyone with the Deredere label, it'd have to be Lana or Lillie. Mallow is empathethic and outgoing for sure, but NOT DEREDERE. Not even close.

Then we will have to respectfully disagree. I stand by my original basis that Mallow is a Deredere, Lillie as a Dandere and Lana as a Kuudere. The reason I peg Mallow as a Deredere is because she is loving and caring to everyone she meets. Deredere archetypes only care that the people they know are happy(even if the person they have the most attraction to doesn't end up with them in the end). Mallow's main attraction? It's Ash and she hits it off right away in Episode 1 by her body language, female pheromones(Bounsweet) and otherwise being a general help to Ash from the start. She drags Ash with her on Episode 14, gives him first crack at her cooking in Episode 18 and shrugs off potential competition in Episode 13(even though she gives Ash a playful jab for doing so).

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I used to like the new anime but as time went on, I started to feel like it was a bit, hm... too japanese for me? It's more anime-like now than ever, probably much because they wanted to win back their Japanese fans from Yokai watch and whatnot. But I think I overall liked the old style series more.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Then we will have to respectfully disagree. I stand by my original basis that Mallow is a Deredere, Lillie as a Dandere and Lana as a Kuudere. The reason I peg Mallow as a Deredere is because she is loving and caring to everyone she meets. Deredere archetypes only care that the people they know are happy(even if the person they have the most attraction to doesn't end up with them in the end). Mallow's main attraction? It's Ash and she hits it off right away in Episode 1 by her body language, female pheromones(Bounsweet) and otherwise being a general help to Ash from the start. She drags Ash with her on Episode 14, gives him first crack at her cooking in Episode 18 and shrugs off potential competition in Episode 13(even though she gives Ash a playful jab for doing so).

Gonna need to use Dub titles, not ep numbers. Currently watching the latest batch of dub airing now so now we'll see.

I used to like the new anime but as time went on, I started to feel like it was a bit, hm... too japanese for me? It's more anime-like now than ever, probably much because they wanted to win back their Japanese fans from Yokai watch and whatnot. But I think I overall liked the old style series more.

Wow gosh rika! Never knew you felt that way! I love the new style myself. It feels a lot closer to how I've always visualized it. I feel like 4Kids whitewashed the original way too much.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I used to like the new anime but as time went on, I started to feel like it was a bit, hm... too japanese for me? It's more anime-like now than ever, probably much because they wanted to win back their Japanese fans from Yokai watch and whatnot. But I think I overall liked the old style series more.

They aren't winning the Japanese back from Yo-Kai Watch, which is already losing its popularity way before SM.

Gonna need to use Dub titles, not ep numbers. Currently watching the latest batch of dub airing now so now we'll see.

Speaking of the dub, how was I not reminded that we're getting more than one new dub today? I completely missed them out. >_>

Wow gosh rika! Never knew you felt that way! I love the new style myself. It feels a lot closer to how I've always visualized it. I feel like 4Kids whitewashed the original way too much.

You mean localized, because all characters kept their ethnic appearances.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • You mean localized, because all characters kept their ethnic appearances.

While it's true that the worst, and thus most offensive, textbook cases of whitewashed Anime do include character ethnicity changes; whitewashing can be much more subtle and unfortunately devastating in other ways.

What some might consider to be more aggressive localizations, is actually whitewashing. It depends and can be debateable. Perspective matters as well as context in the script.

EDIT: Admittedly whitewashing has become more rare as it has become more popular for Japanese audio to be included and thus translation must be more faithful unless they rebrand the show. {Such as Smile Precure vs Glitter Force}

Last edited:

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    When it's good, it's great (Episode 21, for example)

Unfortunately, it's not consistent and some of the newer (around episode 30) ones are not that fun to watch because they're forcing the "comedy" angle, to the detriment of the characters

Kiawe and Ash have been hit especially hard by this

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • One of the best things about this saga are the fillers.

Fillers are usually bad, but before the anime pretty much always used a generic Character of the Day who were never seen again. In SM, the fillers seem to be focusing more on giving depth to the large cast it has. I approve.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    I agree Frozo, I think focusing on the regular cast rather than bringing in characters of the day in most of the fillers works better than characters of the day. Still though, too many fillers and not enough going on.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    I don't partically like Lillie being in Ash's group. She is the third female companion in a row that i throughly didn't like. Mallow and lana are alright though.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    I like Mallow because she does seem to have some personality. I didn't really like the scared of Pokémon thing with Lillie, I like her a little more now without that being made a big deal after she got Snowy. Her scene with Team Rocket in that one episode was one of the best in the series so far. For Lana it's more a problem with the dub since I can't stand how her voice is done and how she's portrayed.

Years
  • I like Mallow because she does seem to have some personality. I didn't really like the scared of Pokémon thing with Lillie, I like her a little more now without that being made a big deal after she got Snowy. Her scene with Team Rocket in that one episode was one of the best in the series so far. For Lana it's more a problem with the dub since I can't stand how her voice is done and how she's portrayed.

I think Mallow and Lillie are the only classmates I can actually stand. Mallow because she's the most caring of the group and the only one that Ash even gives a damn about (remember that SM Ash doesn't care about his friends unlike the previous sagas), while I like Lillie for her cute moments with Snowy, even though I despised her backstory being rewritten to the point it contradicted her game counterpart.

I can definitely agree with your point on Lana. She's my fave trial captain in the games, but I feel Rosie Reyes was a terrible choice of voice actress for her. She makes Lana sound uh, very shy and wimpy.

Then there's Kiawe and Sophocles... I don't like Kiawe because he's too serious and dull, while Sophocles only exists to promote Togedemaru merchandise and feels like a wannabe Clemont but is clearly inferior to Clemont.

Last edited:
    Back