• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your fave Ash Ketchum design?

Your fave Ash Ketchum design?

• Total voters
Years
Ash Ketchum is an icon of the Pokemon anime who is known to always sport new attire every time he visits a new region, but now the question is which one of Ash's designs do you like best and why? You could also rate his designs from best to worst if you want to do it that way.

Here's all of Ash's designs in the anime so far.

Original series (EP001-EP274):
Spoiler:

Advanced Generation series (AG001-AG192):
Spoiler:

Diamond & Pearl series (DP001-DP191):
Spoiler:

Best Wishes series (BW001-BW142):
Spoiler:

XY series (XY001-XY140):
Spoiler:

Sun & Moon series (SM001-Present):
Spoiler:

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
SM because:

1) It's the only chance it'll get at being in the lead before other sagas overtake it
2) I've grown to like it, a lot. I like shonen anime styles, but I've always been a sucker for softer art styles.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
Years
In terms of pure clothing alone (not counting any aesthetic changes to Ash himself), this is probably what my list would look like:

Spoiler:

I'm totally biased for Ash's AG design because I was always a huge fan of his hat and sweater during that era, haha. If not for that bias, his XY and BW outfits might have ranked above AG, though it's a really close call between everything on that list.

Years
I voted XY as well, and seeing it in the lead I am not surprised since it is definitely the most badass of the six outfits.

I also liked AG for its simple design, DP for being not too complex, and while I hated the BW series for making Ash into a noob, the outfit wasn't too bad since it did have some notable colour in it.

SM is definitely the one I hate the most, because of how lazy it is. Aside from some colour changes (namely the hat and shirt), it is basically the exact same outfit as the male protagonist from the games.

This would be personally how I'd rank them:
  1. XY
  2. Diamond & Pearl
  3. Advanced Generation
  4. Best Wishes
  5. Original series
  6. Sun & Moon

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
Years
1. X&Y:
Ash looks more mature, which is always good. I find the colours rather fitting to the location Kalos was based on (France).​
2. Advanced
Most nostalgic for me, I find it very cool.​
3. D&P
Close 3rd. Perhaps even better than AG but just misses that bit of nostalgia.​
4. Original
Nostalgic, though it isn't as striking as the three above.​
5. B&W
Wouldn't say it's bad, but the rest just beats it.​
6. Sum & Moon
Not too keen of the shirt. Not a fan of striped shirts in general. It makes him looks a bit sailor-ish.​

Years
My best design should be XY, and worst and unforgivable design is S&M's design.Beside original series is also good as well because of nostalgic effect.

Your opinions are exactly like mine. I didn't like OS as much as AG or DP (even BW for that matter) but I can get why it's famous for its nostalgia appeal.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Advanced Generation is my favorite design, clothing wise. It was just awesome to me. To me, it matched the generation a lot. I loved his new had as well, and too this day, is my favorite hat of his.

XY was also great overall, because he looked far older than past generations. But for me, it was just too basic to me. Sinnoh was also great. I can't really consider his shirt to be blue like his other outfits. It is the only outfit that has no blue in it, other than pants.

AG definitely wins, but I'd say Sinnoh and XY are on par with each other.

Original, I don't really care for. The outfit just looks odd. There is also too much white, which I'm not a fan of.

BW, this would be in my top 3, but there is just way way too much white. If they had went with Black's Outfit and not a new one, I would probably like it more.

Sun and Moon outfit can burn in charizard's flame. I hate it too much. It is the ONLY outfit that has matched exactly with the male in the games and that just feels lazy, very very lazy to me. The worst design for a male's outfit in the games and they give it to Ash.... What the hell.... There is also too much white.

Last edited:
Years
Advanced Generation is my favorite design, clothing wise. It was just awesome to me. To me, it matched the generation a lot. I loved his new had as well, and too this day, is my favorite hat of his.

XY was also great overall, because he looked far older than past generations. But for me, it was just too basic to me. Sinnoh was also great. I can't really consider his shirt to be blue like his other outfits. It is the only outfit that has no blue in it, other than pants.

AG definitely wins, but I'd say Sinnoh and XY are on par with each other.

Original, I don't really care for. The outfit just looks odd. There is also too much white, which I'm not a fan of.

BW, this would be in my top 3, but there is just way way too much white. If they had went with Black's Outfit and not a new one, I would probably like it more.

Sun and Moon outfit can burn in charizard's flame. I hate it too much. It is the ONLY outfit that has matched exactly with the male in the games and that just feels lazy, very very lazy to me. The worst design for a male's outfit in the games and they give it to Ash.... What the hell.... There is also too much white.

Nice to hear another one who feels the SM outfit is the laziest. I personally feel the protagonist from the games doesn't have the worst outfit out of them (Nate from B2/W2 and OR/AS Brendan are probably worse) but the fact they literally made Ash wear the exact same outfit and recolour it is what makes it horrible.

Ash's outfits usually get at least slightly modelled off the game protagonist's outfit, such as XY having short sleeves on the jacket and the hat resembling FR/LG Red, DP did look very much like Lucas other than the stripe on the jacket but it at least still has a difference. BW's jacket was at least recoloured and made with shorter sleeves to separate Ash from Hilbert's design.

AG on the other hand did not model off of Brendan's original design, but make it its own new design entirely.

Years
My favorite one is the Sinnoh/Unova look. He looked more mature than the others. (In my opinion)

It's interesting to note blue is the primary colour in his outfits but surprisingly Sinnoh has a notable lack of it, with only his pants being blue.

Years
It's interesting to note blue is the primary colour in his outfits but surprisingly Sinnoh has a notable lack of it, with only his pants being blue.

That also seemed to have happened with his Unova design, only it's the other way around. Ash has a blue jacket, but he has black pants.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 17, 2022
I've always liked his Diamond and Pearl series design the most and after that probably his Original series design.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
DP might have been a great series but his design was lacking compared to the other series. Though kanto is really only a lot of favorites for the nostalgia lbh.

My favorite is best wishes followed by AG because they both have hoodies fight me. After that id have to say Sinnoh, then Kalos, then Original and then sun/moon.

Ok so maybe i like sinnoh's more than i thought shrug

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
I do like his original look a lot, but his AG design really grew on me as I watched it recently. It's my favorite over the original by a slim margin.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I think I like his Hoenn clothing the most. Second is the Kalos one, and then possibly the original one. The rest, I don't care much for haha.

Back