• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash has not won a single league

Pokedigifan1178

Most powerful being in fiction
Years
  • Does anyone find it annoying that ash has never won a single league.

I know that if he wins a league then the story would basically end but I just find it really annoying that he keeps on losing.

Does anyone else agree with me on that?

Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    i really don't care, if im honest, i want to ash live in alola for the rest of his life, i mean, there he has a family, same for team rocket, there they are happy and they said that them pokemon dont want to go to the HQ, so...
    but if he wins, he'll be a champion, not a master, so the story can continue

Last edited:

Pokedigifan1178

Years
  • i really don't care, if im honest, i want to ash live in alola for the rest of his life, i mean, there he has a family, same for team rocket, there they are happy and they said that them pokemon dont want to go to the HQ, so...
    but if he wins, he'll be a champion, not a master, so the story can continue

I don't think so.

Since sword and shield is coming out.

The story will never end

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Technically, he did win Orange Island League, although it's a minor region considering it's yet to appear in a major title game. Furthermore, he defeated the Battle Frontier that is considered as difficult as some Elite Four's. Granted that doesn't mean much in the end but to say he hasn't won anything is being disingenuous. We shall see how Alolan League turns out.

Pokedigifan1178

Years
  • Technically, he did win Orange Island League, although it's a minor region considering it's yet to appear in a major title game. Furthermore, he defeated the Battle Frontier that is considered as difficult as some Elite Four's. Granted that doesn't mean much in the end but to say he hasn't won anything is being disingenuous. We shall see how Alolan League turns out.

Probably he is going to lose again because if he won a major league then the anime would end and the Pokémon company doesn't care if the anime is bad. As long as Pokémon still is on air then they will make a lot of money at the cost of their fans.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    He really should have won Kalos though. That loss was just... It really didn't make much sense. And if he had won, fans who dislike Alola could just have ended their watch happily there ahah.

Last edited:
    Years
  • The whole concept of getting annoyed and declaring the anime is bad over Ash not "winning anything" is a deliberately disingenuous point to argue from for several reasons, and here are 4 off the top of my head:

1. Even finishing top 16 shows tons of talent. He is a very talented trainer in a sea of them at tournaments.

2. Think about how few teams/people win championships each year in a given sport. Some of the best rarely win it all, but consistent top placement means they still are good enough to make a living out of it. Think about golf, and how Tiger Woods, despite being arguably one of the two best golfers ever, still has 10 total years in his career on the PGA Tour where he's not won a single golf tournament. And then think of all the golfers that have very few wins but have had pro careers just as long as Tiger's. And that's just in golf (a sport I don't personally watch but is an easy comparison because it's an individual achievement sport). Also think about how many good tennis players have never won a tournament in that sport.

3. He actually has won a league, as mentioned. The Orange Islands one.

4. This doesn't mean the anime is bad. Like at all. Choosing this as a reason the anime is bad is deciding you don't like the anime first and then coming up with reasons to justify it after the fact. There are other reasons to dislike the anime for that would be far bigger factors than Ash's not winning any main region league tournaments anyway, if you did not like the anime.

And if you're gonna get annoyed at him not winning the league, you should get annoyed at the sometimes boneheaded decisions he makes in these climactic battles instead.

TL;DR: No, I'm not really annoyed that Ash hasn't won a major region tournament yet, and at this point I don't expect him to do so.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I've long stopped caring about the fact that Ash has not won a league yet for what basically Don said above. The fact that Ash has repetitively been in the best 16 of each league is actually really good considering the number of participants in every league and the fact that it's been consistent just shows that Ash is a good trainer to make it that far in every league he has entered.

There are many people who don't care for the battle aspect of Pokemon, anyways, so just because he hasn't won a league yet it doesn't mean the anime is bad lol. Maybe to the people who just want to see the boy win, sure, but to those who are watching for things beyond the league the anime is still fairly solid.

Pokedigifan1178

Years
  • I've long stopped caring about the fact that Ash has not won a league yet for what basically Don said above. The fact that Ash has repetitively been in the best 16 of each league is actually really good considering the number of participants in every league and the fact that it's been consistent just shows that Ash is a good trainer to make it that far in every league he has entered.

There are many people who don't care for the battle aspect of Pokemon, anyways, so just because he hasn't won a league yet it doesn't mean the anime is bad lol. Maybe to the people who just want to see the boy win, sure, but to those who are watching for things beyond the league the anime is still fairly solid.

ash said he wanted to be the greatest. but if he wanted to achieve his dream then the story would have to end.

Alloute

Cat Burglar
    Years
  • I don't really think he deserved to win any of the Leagues he's fought in, so I can't honestly say that him losing bothers me. I obviously disagree with those who thought he should've beaten Alain for instance, because contrary to what some folks believe, Ash wasn't quite at Alain's level. Alain was strong enough to win all his Kalos badges quickly on a whim whereas it took Ash ages to accomplish that, plus Alain had actually defeated an E4 member which is something that Ash has never come close to doing. So Alain was always going to win based on his previous accomplishments in the region imo.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I know it may be annoying that Ash keeps losing on every region he enter the tournament (save for Orange League, in which he won), the Kalos league that he made it the final was one of the nearest potential, even using Greninja (along with its bond phenomenon) could have helped him winning for sure, but it wasn't as it used to be. The Alola League may be the one that Ash might lose too, since anime boosts popularity both Japan and internationally, we won't seeing him achieve his dream. We need to wait Gen 10, which could be the last Generation to be made, this kind of final generation could help Ash winning the league and even achieve his goal of being the Pokemon Master. The Pokemon Company never revealed the details about what kind Pokemon Master is, but Masamitsu Hidaka stated in an interview that if Ash had won the league, the series could end. But despite all of this, we need to keep waiting until Gen 10, the final Gen Pokemon, comes and Ash finally achieves his goals.

Gen 10 could be the only remaining for him to win, that's my theory.

(sorry for my poor English)

Last edited:

Sloxy

Mon Amour
    Years
  • I know it may be annoying that Ash keeps losing on every region he enter the tournament (save for Orange League, in which he won), the Kalos league that he made it the final was one of the nearest potential, even using Greninja (along with its bond phenomenon) could have helped him winning for sure, but it wasn't as it used to be. The Alola League may be the one that Ash might lose too, since anime boosts popularity both Japan and internationally, we won't seeing him achieve his dream. We need to wait Gen 10, which could be the last Generation to be made, this kind of final generation could help Ash winning the league and even achieve his goal of being the Pokemon Master. The Pokemon Company never revealed the details about what kind Pokemon Master is, but Masamitsu Hidaka stated in an interview that if Ash had won the league, the series could end. But despite all of this, we need to keep waiting until Gen 10, the final Gen Pokemon, comes and Ash finally achieves his goals.

Gen 10 could be the only remaining for him to win, that's my theory.

(sorry for my poor English)

It's a nice theory, but there hasn't been any official statement saying that the games will end at gen 10. Even if there was speculation, why would they? It's been an excellent series and way to get them money. The games have only been improving since graphics wise, and can still be drastically improved. New people will keep getting introduced to the franchise regardless of age, so its a great selling point. It's not like the games are currently at the point where everything that happens in them is a repeat. To some degree, of course it is in the overall context but not to the point where it feels like when you play HeartGold for example that its the same as Ultra Sun.

As for the argument that the league would automatically make Ash a master and the series would end is very superficial. Yes Masamitsu Hidaka as you said has stated, but a quick search would reveal that he is no longer responsible for the story. I quote from Bulbapedia (Take it as a credible source or not) "He directed the Pokémon anime up to the Battle Frontier arc, and he continued to be a storyboard artist until the Best Wishes series." From that, it can be assumed that he no longer works on it anymore. Of course, I could also be wrong. He could still be working on it in the background. I attempted to check the credits to search for his name anywhere, to see if he does still work there. Unfortunately I can't read japansese. Who knows, anything can turn out in various ways.

Pokedigifan1178

Years
  • It's a nice theory, but there hasn't been any official statement saying that the games will end at gen 10. Even if there was speculation, why would they? It's been an excellent series and way to get them money. The games have only been improving since graphics wise, and can still be drastically improved. New people will keep getting introduced to the franchise regardless of age, so its a great selling point. It's not like the games are currently at the point where everything that happens in them is a repeat. To some degree, of course it is in the overall context but not to the point where it feels like when you play HeartGold for example that its the same as Ultra Sun.

As for the argument that the league would automatically make Ash a master and the series would end is very superficial. Yes Masamitsu Hidaka as you said has stated, but a quick search would reveal that he is no longer responsible for the story. I quote from Bulbapedia (Take it as a credible source or not) "He directed the Pokémon anime up to the Battle Frontier arc, and he continued to be a storyboard artist until the Best Wishes series." From that, it can be assumed that he no longer works on it anymore. Of course, I could also be wrong. He could still be working on it in the background. I attempted to check the credits to search for his name anywhere, to see if he does still work there. Unfortunately I can't read japansese. Who knows, anything can turn out in various ways.

gen 10?

theres a gen 10

i think there are 8 gens.

sword and shield is the eighth gen.

kanto was the first

johto was the second

hoenn was the third

sinnoh was the fourth

unova was the fifth

kanto was the sixth

and alola was the seventh

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I just go in expecting him to lose, but I try to enjoy the journey along the way. Some of the league battles are still cool to see, and Ash is just a kid who's skills reset every region. So, looking at it that way, it's no wonder he never wins. He's basically kind of a newbie each time. Though, his being a Pokémon master isn't really referring to winning, it's how he raises and cares for them, I guess. That said, that's not that I want to see him always lose. I don't mind, but it would be cool to get to say that Ash finally won a big league (u kno aside from orange islands lol).

Last edited:
    Back