• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music How have your tastes changed over the years?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Do you still listen to the same kind of music/bands as you did when you were younger? Were there artists and genres you once loved that you don't like as much anymore, or have your tastes stayed relatively constant over the years?

TY

I have many phases, altho they all blend in eventually sometime. In the beginning I was highly into DnB, then rap came into the mix and then eurobeat, vocaloid and so on.

Now its one giant ball of those genres mixed in one or just one genre what I feel like listening to.

Cay

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2022
    2001-2012: old school rap/r&b
    2012-2014: pop
    2014-2015: jpop / vocaloid
    2015: yung lean / death grips / pop punk
    2016: chicago rap / kanye
    2017: soundcloud rap

string555

Banned
    Years
  • Ages:

0-11 Mostly Rock and such, thanks to my parents.

12-13 Mainstream rap for some reason :/

14-19 Mostly underground hip-hop, and some techno

20-Now Mostly techno, especially nightcore, and some hip-hop.

Also throw in a few exceptions over the years, such as System of a Down and King Diamond.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    Not really. I'm actually still exploring all the music I was interested in from young age but didn't know the genre name or artists of. Yeah I had a pop phase but that was before I was like "eh fuck it, I like metal". I feel like my preference is only growing but now I can point at what specific elements I like about it.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Heyl naw. In high school I used to want to try to be cool and listen to obscure indie rock and swedish pop like my friends, but nowadays I can't even look at the top hit charts without cringing. I've given up trying to like what's popular or what others like, I just like what I like :)

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I remember that, until I listened to the first Foster The People album, I would not listen to anything released after the year 2000.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Most rap music--I don't feel they connect with me. This hasn't ever changed.

Years
  • Before high school I wasn't really into music, so instead of one genre of music, I liked individual songs from a lot of different genres. Once high school came around I got really into metal and EDM for whatever reason. Towards the end of high school I started liking more "scene"-y music like pop punk/post-hardcore/emo/alt rock. I still prefer that kind of music over most things today, but I'm liking more and more songs from other genres recently.

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
    Years
  • Iv'e definately broadened my range of music genres. I listen to almost anything from classic rock, alternative, punk, R'n'B, heavy metal, ballads, instrumental to pop.

Zenithios

To live and not to breathe is to die in tragedy
    Years
  • When I was a kid (Until the age of 10), I was REALLY into bands like One Direction and 5SOS (Don't know why, but I did). But nowadays, I like more pop/punk rock music like Green Day for example.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Honestly, I've always grown up liking different genres. There are times in my life where I was heavily more into another genre than others, but not enough so that I would say my tastes have really changed. They just expand into sub-genres and such, if anything.

I hate country music more and more each year if that counts for anything, though.

Bay

Years
  • Long ago I would be into what's top on the charts, a lot of it being generic pop and pop/punk rock. Now I'm more into classic and alternative rock in addition to whatever song catches my interest. I still listen to what's popular on occasion too, though that's a hit or miss these days.

Last edited:

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I had no taste in music up until I graduated from high school. I grew up listening to local love songs, which were mostly ballads. I had a phase in high school where I was totally into pop music, but that was mostly because I was super into dancing back then. In uni I met this wonderful girl who had great taste in music and it just... rubbed off into me lol. Nowadays I'm mostly into funk and independent music, which doesn't really say much. One thing that stayed through was my appreciation for rock, though!

Years
  • My tastes have actually gotten harder as I've gotten older, hah. I used to listen to rock and pop when I was younger (mostly whatever cds my parents had around, plus the radio). I took to listening to various 80s music for a while when I discovered a local station, then alternative rock (which I guess was like what I'd heard before), and then....metal. I wonder if I would have liked that as a kid if I had had the chance to listen to it.

Although I do go back to other genres at times. My thing is that I need my music to be somewhat fast-paced or it won't do anything for me. I think my current liking outside of video game tracks is trance and synthwave music and similar things.

Back