• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Theory] Creative Explanations/Theories for What Pokemon Are

Autumne

who's ready for an ADVENTURE?
Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2018
    Hiya folks. As a start, I'd like to say that this thread is meant to have both you share your theories about this topic, and also to discuss theories put forth by me or other posters. Either or is fine!

One of my favorite ways to think about what Pokemon are is to envision them as natural spirits, elemental, the natural forces of the world given a form. Instead of there being animals proper in this world that evolved from biology as we know it, their origination started more from energy that is give a sentient-to-semi-sentient form. Even after this point, they are able to channel and utilize more of that energy to power their behaviors and attacks.

This theory works well with the fact that Pokemon seem to follow very different rules than our worlds' animals do. For example:

1. they are more resilient to what would result in catastrophic damage to their physical bodies (such as being in the heart of an explosion, or exploding themselves)
    2. they are able to produce more of their element than could conceivably be contained within their bodies (such as a Squirtle's water gun)
    3. this would allow for an alternate means of reproduction that our purely biological one (and may also explain why humans are confused as to the mechanics of how it actually works). To further explain, perhaps different types of Pokemon energy polarities (understood as male and female) mix, creating a new center for energy to coalesce around, before this special shell breaks open (understood as an egg hatching), instead.
    4. this also allows for new types of Pokemon to appear mirroring what exists in the world, which explains some more modern types of Pokemon. It also lets things continue to be murky as to 'which appeared first' in cases of 'did people in the Pokemon world mimic Unown for language, or do Unown mimic language?'

This also lines up somewhat with depiction of ancient cultures with Pokemon, where they're called 'magical creatures' rather than ... 'normal creatures'? They're seen as inherently linked to the magical-elemental forces of the world, which humans do not have easy access to themselves. Humans and normal plants are probably considered 'normal creatures'.

What do you think about this theory?
    What are your theories about what Pokemon are?

Years
  • I actually really like your theory. :o

To say that Pokemon are natural spirits... in a way makes sense, but in a way I find that kinda hard to wrap my head around. @_@ Mostly because it implies that they are ethereal to some degree which is.... ehh, I'm not sure if that's really the case, y'know?

I also think it would make more sense to say that their anatomy in general is far different than what we're accustomed to. Like say, it's very possible for Pokemon to die from natural causes much like any other being; they're just significantly more resilient and won't die easily. Explosions and whatnot won't kill them depending on the explosion and the type of Pokemon hit by it, so it could be that their bodies are, by Pokemon standards at least, resistant to explosive shockwaves.

In the real world, actual explosive shockwaves would shatter anything within a certain blast radius as if it was glass, living or not. Obviously, Pokemon plays by very different rules so the best assumption that can be made is that their bodies are rigid enough to withstand them.

In regards to channeling the elements, it's not outside the realm of possibility to say that they have certain pouches within their bodies that produce chemicals that fuel their attacks. This pretty much can be the case for Fire Pokemon, although it's not impossible to imagine something similar occuring for Water Pokemon as well.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Nice theory, but I think they do evolve biologically considering that there is fossil pokemon that are ancestors to current pokemon and species adaption to certain environments, such as the alolan forms of Kanto pokemon. They seem magical and some might actually be magical but I think they're mostly just superpowered animals. Superpowered to us, but normal for them.

Autumne

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2018
    I actually really like your theory. :o

To say that Pokemon are natural spirits... in a way makes sense, but in a way I find that kinda hard to wrap my head around. @_@ Mostly because it implies that they are ethereal to some degree which is.... ehh, I'm not sure if that's really the case, y'know?

I also think it would make more sense to say that their anatomy in general is far different than what we're accustomed to. Like say, it's very possible for Pokemon to die from natural causes much like any other being; they're just significantly more resilient and won't die easily. Explosions and whatnot won't kill them depending on the explosion and the type of Pokemon hit by it, so it could be that their bodies are, by Pokemon standards at least, resistant to explosive shockwaves.

In the real world, actual explosive shockwaves would shatter anything within a certain blast radius as if it was glass, living or not. Obviously, Pokemon plays by very different rules so the best assumption that can be made is that their bodies are rigid enough to withstand them.

In regards to channeling the elements, it's not outside the realm of possibility to say that they have certain pouches within their bodies that produce chemicals that fuel their attacks. This pretty much can be the case for Fire Pokemon, although it's not impossible to imagine something similar occuring for Water Pokemon as well.

I definitely think they're more solid than we tend to think of 'spirits' being. I use the world only to invoke the sense that they're connected to the natural forces of the world more than our world's natural animals are. But I like the idea that they're more pliable than things are in our world to explain things like Pokemon evolution between forms, since they don't grow into them, they change in seconds.

Whatever the case, I absolutely agree that they're made of more durable stuff than our world seems to be!

I suppose in a different world, it's entirely possible that all elements could manifest the way fire manifests in ours, so a chemical explanation could also be viable. It's really not that different from the idea that some part of their mass can be converted into an energy form akin to their 'element' either, which since so much energy in contained in every bit of mass in our world, has seemed a great explanation for how they're able to produce so much energy beyond what it seems like their body should be able to hold the representative appearance for.

One thing that doesn't quite work with a purely scientific chemical explanation as cleanly is their ability to control who is harmed imo. For example, Ponyta can control who is burned by their flames, and who isn't. For another, despite the volume and coloration (implying temperature) remaining the same from Charizard's flames or Pikachu's electricity, whether targets are burned to a crisp or only comically singed also varies a lot. To me this is more easily explained by a "magical" approximation than a scientifically-inspired one.

Definitely think science leaning explorations of Pokemon abilities are neat though too.

I prefer the "They're just animals" explanation.

Simple and to the point serves well!

They are what they are.

At the end of it all, I gotta say I agree with you. I just think it's fun to stop and try to understand it now and then. When I get tired or bored or find a debate too hot, I definitely come back to your view though lol!

Nice theory, but I think they do evolve biologically considering that there is fossil pokemon that are ancestors to current pokemon and species adaption to certain environments, such as the alolan forms of Kanto pokemon. They seem magical and some might actually be magical but I think they're mostly just superpowered animals. Superpowered to us, but normal for them.

I do definitely see what you mean, though I don't see biological evolution as being prohibited by my theory. If Pokemon reflect or are manifestations their environmental forces & energy signatures, it makes sense that as the world changes so would their forms (fossil Pokemon) or their location changes so too would they (Alolan forms, Arbok hood patterns, etc).

I definitely think there's merit to the super powered animal theory, but it's fun to imagine for me that another world has a very non-mundane explanation for its creatures.

Thank you for thread responses everyone!

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    I've always theorized that humans and pokemon are somehow spiritually linked. Perhaps, at one point were even one and the same. For instance, the Sinnoh lake trio, Mesprit, Azelf, and Uxie are the representations of emotion, knowledge, and willpower. These characteristics are all heavily present in human beings, which leads me to believe that humanity and pokemon were at some point interconnected. Furthermore, I hypothesize that perhaps deities such as Arceus or Mew contributed to the creation/evolution of humans. Or say, if humankind and pokemon were truly linked at one point, then perhaps the legendaries were directly involved in the separation between the two. In my eyes, pokemon and humans are opposing forces that seem to balance each other out, similarly to yin and yang.

Either that, or they truly just are animals with incredibly power.

Anyways, I really do like your theory, it's extremely well-thought out and it makes a lot of sense.

Autumne

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2018
    I've always theorized that humans and pokemon are somehow spiritually linked. Perhaps, at one point were even one and the same. For instance, the Sinnoh lake trio, Mesprit, Azelf, and Uxie are the representations of emotion, knowledge, and willpower. These characteristics are all heavily present in human beings, which leads me to believe that humanity and pokemon were at some point interconnected. Furthermore, I hypothesize that perhaps deities such as Arceus or Mew contributed to the creation/evolution of humans. Or say, if humankind and pokemon were truly linked at one point, then perhaps the legendaries were directly involved in the separation between the two. In my eyes, pokemon and humans are opposing forces that seem to balance each other out, similarly to yin and yang.

Either that, or they truly just are animals with incredibly power.

Anyways, I really do like your theory, it's extremely well-thought out and it makes a lot of sense.

I think humans and Pokemon are incredibly linked. Sinnoh mythology also has legends about people/humans descending from Pokemon, or at least the two being indistinguishable at one point in the past. I like the idea that humans are the only 'normal animal' in their world, having lost the innate connection to be elementals like the Pokemon are, though I'm not really sure of my explanation on that one. Still, plants have a similar mundane existence, so something about plants for sure keeps them from being elemental beings.

I've pieced this theory together for a few generations now, heh. I think the explanation for the eggs was really the first part of it.

Pikachukid

Conquest needs a sequel
    Years
  • If evolution was measured in Calories instead of exp, imagine how much food it would take for a Magikarp to evolve into a Garydos. Time might also run differently over a quick span of "time" as can be seen by comparing the life span of a human to that of a humanoid three line evolution Pokemon such as Ralts. Stage one being infancy, two; adolescence and three; I don't think I'm using semicolons correctly (I mean, three, adulting). Where does such energy come from? Can you imagine Prof Rowan devoting his life to the research of Pokemon evolution and having these same thoughts? Okay, okay, quick bursts of energy metabolizes changes in physical structure. 90% of Pokemon can be traced back to Mew and others seem to branch out from nowhere. Building of energy and "bonds" through synergy. Evolution through said bonds. Release of energy allowed through the bonds formed between two beings for temporary metamorphosis or a powered up version of moves (mega evolution and z-moves respectively). You know, explanation or not there are consistencies that overlap. I think you guys are on to something here.

Oh and also a boy took a nap and awoke to find himself a kadabra (or was it an Abra?) Then there's the Mystery Dungeon Games where humans are continuously turning into Pokemon. Cool tangents but whatevs man, whatevs

Last edited:
    Back