• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Jellicent versus Chandelure

Who is the best ghost?!

• Total voters

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023

623.gif

593Jellicent_Female_Dream.png
    VERSUS
    609Chandelure_Dream.png

No fancy images this week because THIS ISN'T TO BE TAKEN LIGHTLY. I feel like this'll be close for some reason! :)​

Last edited:
    Years
  • I love these two and it was hard to choose between them.

But Chandelure wins in the end for me due to many reasons:
    • Awesome offensive typing
    • Awesome design
    • Awesome Shiny colors
    • Shauntal's signature Pokemon
    • First Ghost-type I ever used on my main team
    • Can learn moves that counter most of its weaknesses
    • Extremely high Special Attack stat
    • Purple flames, one of the few Fire-types that isn't red or orange

I LOVE CHANDELURE.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Picking Chandelure was out of question for me, even though Jelli has some traits that makes it a beast. Here's why:

It's one of the few good fire types for me in this gen, besides Volcarona
    The design is perfect! Jellicent, on the other hand, is very ugly
    Notably high offensive stats

Chandelure is a fantastic add to the fire type pokes IMO

LapLace1500

I just ride....
    Years
  • Well, it's hard to choose between the two. I love Jellicent mainly 'cause it's a water type and I'm crazy about water types. I love Chandelure 'cause of it's shiny form, I even have a shiny one in Black.
    But, if I had to choose between the two I'd choose Chandelure. It has better stats than Jellicent, it has three evolutionary stages, not that two aren't bad but Pokemon tend to be stronger when they evolve and I agree with Hikari with the whole purple flames thing. Red and orange are so overrated :P

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Okay I think I choose Jellicent for competitive purposes. :x Mainly the fact that usually Terrakion is choiced and a ghost typing is really useful. As for Chandelure, it's outclassed by Heatran imo for general usefulness although you could say typing is good for Chandelure but idk SR is pretty common and Heatran gets the bonus of not being hurt as much. n_n SO. JELLICENT FOR NOW.

HOWEVER I COULD CHANGE MY MIND SO FEEL FREE TO CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I do actually like both of these critters, but Chandelure takes it in a landslide for me, personally. Mainly for the reasons mentioned above by Hikari, but also because it's just so damn powerful! It has an amazing design, and awesome typing and movepool, great stats where it matters... it's an all around amazing critter, and is probably my favourite Unova Pokemon, give or take an Excadrill.

Chandelure would probably beat anything that Kaori/Nica could throw at it in one of these polls, which is a shame as Jellicent is also kinda cool. The biggest thing working against is that it is kinda slow - which is a big deal with me - and its design is... interesting, to say the least. And not in a cool way. But it can be quite good to have on a team, and its typing is also very eclectic, which is another plus. It's a shame it's going up against such a strong opponent.

But, yeah. Chandelure. Hands down.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    Chandelure wins it hands down for me, for a few reasons:
    • I love Fire-types
    • I have used both, and found Chandelure far more useful
    • Aesthetically, in my opinion, Chandelure = awesome, and Jellicent = creepy and weird
    • I already had a really good Water-type on my team (Samurott), but wanted another good Fire-type alongside my Charizard

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    I like Chandelure because it reminds me of Halloween and haunted houses. Chandelure does have a much higher SpA then Jellicent. Jellicent reminds me of a huge balloon with tentacles and it doesn't look very ghost-like. Chandelure very much looks like a ghost type but at the same time it looks different from the other ghost types because of the blue-purple flames.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • As much as I like Jellicent for competitive purposes, I like Chandelure better because of its insanely high Special Attack. A soul-stealing chandelier is also a cool concept and I've always wanted to see a Ghost/Fire Pokemon.

phonastik

Strange Quark
    Years
  • Chandelure is flippin' awesome. I love its typing and its design. I haven't actually used Jellicent in-game, I just find better water-types before it's available, I guess. Even if the male Jellicent looks like the Pringles man.

Years
  • Chandelure currently has a huge lead... and it's already early days.

I remember falling in love with this thing when I first saw it.

It's such an amazing Fire-type and it's unique among Fire-types for having the distinction of not being dominant in red and/or orange color. It's massive Special Attack was way too awesome to pass on and even though mine ended up with a Lonely nature, she still does her job well.

One thing that sets Chandelure apart from other Fire-types is the fact it gets Energy Ball in its movepool, effectively countering many of its weaknesses.

Jellicent isn't too bad but its appearance doesn't even look like a ghost. At least it has bulkiness that can take hits well and it gets some nice moves.

You know Nica, I guess I can predict the outcome of this one.

Limanya

Page of Breath
    Years
  • Jellicent has a nice design, however, it's nothing compared to some other Pokemon like Mienshao, Serperior, or.........Chandelure. Chandelure is quite hard to get as Litwick it pretty hard to train, but once it's a Chandelure you win everything.

Also Chandelure was a pain in the ass to battle...

Years
  • Ok, good. Chandelure is winning by a lot. If it was the other way around I would have gone insane right here on this thread.

It, and Braviary, are my two favorite Unova Pokemon by far, and two of my all-time favorites.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Chandelure for me, typing's amazing and its special attack is simply insane. That and I was hoping for a ghost/fire type for a while now not to mention its design is simple but oh so lovable.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • Oh nooooooes! ;o; Jellicent's losing. :<

Anyway, pretty simple for me. Jellicent (more specifically the male version) is my favourite Unova Pokemon. It's design is awesome in my opinion, and it can hold it's own too, with a decent type and some decent abilities. Plus, dat mustache. :P 'tis a shame you used the female's artwork and sprite. :[

Rodriguezjames55

No Jokes #MegaCharizard
    Years
  • Oh nooooooes! ;o; Jellicent's losing. :<

Anyway, pretty simple for me. Jellicent (more specifically the male version) is my favourite Unova Pokemon. It's design is awesome in my opinion, and it can hold it's own too, with a decent type and some decent abilities. Plus, dat mustache. :P 'tis a shame you used the female's artwork and sprite. :[
    its a fat pedo jellyfish vs bad @$$ soul sucking chandelier that steals souls and would fry that pedo-fish easy win

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I don't like either :( But I guess I'm gonna go with Chandelure because it has an interesting typing! I know Ghost/Water is unique and stuff, but it's not really very interesting to use whereas Fire/Ghost would have a lot of unique tricks in its arsenal. Plus Jellicent looks awful imo, so Chandy kinda wins hand down x3

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
    Years
  • Chandelure! I mean really, is that even a question?

Chandelure is so crazily powerful in Sp. Attack, that it just takes the prize.
    Also, in addition, it's moveset compliments it by countering most of it's weaknesses.

#ChandelureWinsMyVote

Back