• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greenlit: British influences we want to see in Sword/Shield

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
Years
  • Thought this would be something fun to be published on Daily. A list of 5-10 British influences we'd want to see incorporated into Sword/Shield. More of a light-hearted and fun article but still delving into some cool worldbuilding ideas.

Thinking things from history, (pop) culture, geography... so ideas spanning from a royal family that you can battle (a la the Winstrates of Hoenn) where the matriarch of the family uses a Yamper, to being able to brew tea to feed to your Pokemon to raise their contest stats, to a reference of a war between Galar and Kalos that resulted in the signing of a treaty.

I think it'd be best if someone from Britain wrote this since you could fill it with relevant references beyond the general/stereotypical stuff non-British people could write on, but happy to team up with someone to write this or write it myself if none of our British members/Daily staff want to write it.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Thought this would be something fun to be published on Daily. A list of 5-10 British influences we'd want to see incorporated into Sword/Shield. More of a light-hearted and fun article but still delving into some cool worldbuilding ideas.

Thinking things from history, (pop) culture, geography... so ideas spanning from a royal family that you can battle (a la the Winstrates of Hoenn) where the matriarch of the family uses a Yamper, to being able to brew tea to feed to your Pokemon to raise their contest stats, to a reference of a war between Galar and Kalos that resulted in the signing of a treaty.

I think it'd be best if someone from Britain wrote this since you could fill it with relevant references beyond the general/stereotypical stuff non-British people could write on, but happy to team up with someone to write this or write it myself if none of our British members/Daily staff want to write it.
    In general I like the idea. World-building is fine and we could do with some more lighthearted speculation articles. Queen-esque character would be amusing to see as well, haha.

Teaming up with someone though? Well, I recall someone in the SwSh forum section making a thread along these lines - just more on existing influences. I'm going to ping them in case they are interested!
    Any other Brits out there spot any more influences? I'm looking forward to learning a lot more about the Galar region.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 16, 2019
    Yes, as I said in my earlier post I'm impressed by how much British history and culture seems to have influenced the new games thus far. I'm relieved that it's not all based around Arthurian legend but seems to be including references to Britain's more recent industrial past. However, I think we're going to have to wait until the game's release to find all the references, as we did with Sun & Moon.

So far at least they've got the weather right! However, I haven't seen any desert areas around the country. But this is Pokemon and we have to give Game Freak a lot of artistic and dramatic licence. :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    Not gonna like I actually thought this thread said Bad Influences at first glance...lol.

But I think this could be good. Could always get a list from a handful of people or social media or even both and add it to the article.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • I'm sort of sensing maybe two separate concepts here: an analysis of the British-ness that Ryck spoke about that could go into the scope of how they've already seemed to integrate a lot of cool things, and then a collation/collection of ideas on further British references/influences (which has the potential to be a more lighthearted one). Thoughts?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Both make sense to me. Further ideas sounds better as a follow-up article in terms of order. +1

Last edited:
    Back