• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Opinions about fanfiction story scenarios

Zephdo

Pokemon Honor and Glory Co-Director
Years
  • Hi everyone! I'm here to ask the general fans regarding certain scenarios that could be incorporated into a Pokemon fangame story. i would like to ask your opinions and views on the following matter:
    • What's your opinion on a character dying in a Pokemon Story?
    • What about someone literally passing away because of an incurable sickness or of old age.
    • What about a Pokemon dying in front of your eyes? or something like the "Marowak/Cubone" scenario in Lavender Town from trhe Gen 1 game/remakes
    • Also, what about a human transforming into Pokemon; Pokemon into human?
    • Are there other story elements/scenes that you'd like to see in a Pokemon game? (something that's not politically biased, gore or too much religious)

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and have a nice day people!

Last edited:

Bay

Years
  • Hi there! Want to mention real quick I moved this thread into the Writer's Lounge as that's where the writing discussions go.

As for your questions, to be honest I don't do Pokemon fangames but I read Pokemon fanficiton often so I'll respond to those questions based on my reading preferences.

What's your opinion on a character dying in a Pokemon Story?
    What about someone literally passing away because of an incurable sickness or of old age.

First one depends on the execution. For instance, if a female character dies to motivate a male character that's a no for me because it goes deep into the women characters being fridged trope. Second one I can be a bit more forgiving as I don't think you need to over detail what illness caused someone's death and such.

What about a Pokemon dying in front of your eyes? or something like the "Marowak/Cubone" scenario in Lavender Town from trhe Gen 1 game/remakes

Not sure if you've heard of the niche Pokemon community, the Nuzlocke community, but the folks there do works centering Pokemon death a lot. As for me, since Pokemon are known to take in big hits, there should be a good reason why the Pokemon dies suddenly.

Also, what about a human transforming into Pokemon; Pokemon into human?

Me personally I'm not a fan of either of those, but I know folks that are into that.

Are there other story elements/scenes that you'd like to see in a Pokemon game? (something that's not politically biased, gore or too much religious)

Nothing that comes to mind really.

These are just my thoughts, so you don't need to have your game based on my responses. I wish you luck!

Zephdo

Pokemon Honor and Glory Co-Director
    Years
  • Hi there! Want to mention real quick I moved this thread into the Writer's Lounge as that's where the writing discussions go.

As for your questions, to be honest I don't do Pokemon fangames but I read Pokemon fanficiton often so I'll respond to those questions based on my reading preferences.

First one depends on the execution. For instance, if a female character dies to motivate a male character that's a no for me because it goes deep into the women characters being fridged trope. Second one I can be a bit more forgiving as I don't think you need to over detail what illness caused someone's death and such.

Not sure if you've heard of the niche Pokemon community, the Nuzlocke community, but the folks there do works centering Pokemon death a lot. As for me, since Pokemon are known to take in big hits, there should be a good reason why the Pokemon dies suddenly.

Me personally I'm not a fan of either of those, but I know folks that are into that.

Nothing that comes to mind really.

These are just my thoughts, so you don't need to have your game based on my responses. I wish you luck!

Thank you so much!

Years
  • Zephdo;10104283What's your opinion on a character dying in a Pokemon Story? [/QUOTE said:
    This depends on a few things. What's the tone of the story you're telling? What narrative purpose does the death have? If it's just for the sake of being "dark" or "edgy" but serves no real purpose beyond that, not a fan. If it's done right, go for it.

What about someone literally passing away because of an incurable sickness or of old age.
    Old age is honestly one of the things that is most tonally consistent across genres. It's a natural part of the life cycle and imo easier to fit into varying tonalities. Mostly though, see my above answer.

What about a Pokemon dying in front of your eyes? or something like the "Marowak/Cubone" scenario in Lavender Town from trhe Gen 1 game/remakes
    Pokemon routinely tank hits that can seriously damage buildings and the landscape. I think if you're going to kill one off you need to be able to justify it occurring first and foremost. Then it really comes back down to what I explained in the first answer.

Not really a fan. It almost always just feels really cheesy and cliche. Ditto (or maybe Mew) into a person however, I could roll with that.

Are there other story elements/scenes that you'd like to see in a Pokemon game? (something that's not politically biased, gore or too much religious)

I'm quite over "stop the legendary/evil team/antagonist to save the world" in Pokemon. I'd love to see a more grounded story.

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Might as well give my two cents about it!

What's your opinion on a character dying in a Pokemon Story?
    It really depends on the execution, as was stated by Bay. I feel like killing off a character for seemingly no reason or having the story unaffected aside from a character being like, "okay, now's the time for me to kick things into action!", it looks like a copout. But if it means something or deeply affects the plot and the characters who knew them, then there's nothing wrong with it. I actually really dislike when authors don't kill characters, particularly in violent situations; feels like the author couldn't bring her/himself to do it or wanted to have a happy ending that doesn't really fit. Depends on the storyline.

That's fine for me, as long as it affects the plot and characters. Otherwise, just feels meaningless.

What about a Pokemon dying in front of your eyes? or something like the "Marowak/Cubone" scenario in Lavender Town from the Gen 1 game/remakes
    Makes sense to me. Doesn't make sense that pokémon never seem to die outside of Lavender Town. They're animals who tend to have shorter lifespans that humans. Like, Ash's pikachu should've died a long time ago, going by mouse lifespans. It would be cool to explore that, imo, and can be really heart wrenching if done properly.

I don't mind these plots. Humans changing into pokémon into particular is a cool concept, imo. Especially if they struggle to get used to their new physiology and having to use elemental moves.

I wish they could've expanded on N's storyline; pokémon dogfights, pokémon pacifism, shelters with pokémon in them, etc. Just a little more realism, maybe some added real-life animals. I was writing a conceptual fanfic that involved those sorts of elements.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Hi everyone! I'm here to ask the general fans regarding certain scenarios that could be incorporated into a Pokemon fangame story. i would like to ask your opinions and views on the following matter:

Sure thing! Always hopeful to add 2¢.

Also good thing to see more people asking for input re: fangames.

• What's your opinion on a character dying in a Pokemon Story?
    • What about someone literally passing away because of an incurable sickness or of old age.
    • What about a Pokemon dying in front of your eyes? or something like the "Marowak/Cubone" scenario in Lavender Town from trhe Gen 1 game/remakes
    • Also, what about a human transforming into Pokemon; Pokemon into human?
    • Are there other story elements/scenes that you'd like to see in a Pokemon game? (something that's not politically biased, gore or too much religious)

Characters dying: it's part of life, but life is neither fair or unfair. Like Bay as well: it depends on th execution. The best deaths are the ones that either hold no signification by themselves (a character dies out of age, or is involved in a car accident, and things are just like that) or the ones that hold extreme specific circumstances to themselves and can not be really compared to other events during the story (memetic as it is, Aerith's death in FF VII is a good example). Deaths that are kinda tryhard and at most get about half a signification are, IMO, cringe.

All that said: a good selling point with regards to the Pokémon franchise for me is that barring being time-erased by Dialga or something, most characters, human or Pokémon, are not going to see a too hard chance to die a particularly violent death.

Pokémon dying in front of your eyes: This can go a number of ways. Without more context, I think it'd be mostly fine if it is one of your own Pokémon dying. For deaths that get so close, they have to be personal to gain fair significance. Things like bus crashes and bizarre oil pipe accidents happen far away and you don't generally know the people involved firsthand.

Also another important factor is how many.

Human TFing into Pokémon: While it's a good concept, I'd prefer it to be mostly limited to stuff like PMD as what we already have.

Pokémon TFing into Humans: No. I don't see the point, I see it as a lose-lose.

Other "non-debating" kinds of events in a Pokémon game: Since we are not touching the good, self-examination kind of way, I guess what we have left that is cool is stuff like seeing cool tech (or, in the case of Pokémon, magitek) being used for mundane tasks. Also, seeing other people and Pokémon having battles beyond just the main character. Another aspect that I'd like to be seen in a fangame but that is far more mechanically involved is to have the Pokémon in the party be able to take part of their own subquests and interact with the world around them, maybe going into explorations of their own to return with new items and moves, instead of leaving everything world-interacting to the human character only.

I hope all this general serves well.

Back