• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Day One] - What are your most memorable moments from Gen I?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • latest

I mean, you can say if you liked or hated Gen 1, these games were the first ever pokemon games introduced, and were the games that most of the long-time pokemon fans first played. Whether you're building your ultimate team on Pokemon Blue, Red, or Green, or hanging out with your best pal Pikachu in Yellow, they set the tone for the future pokemon adventures!

That being said, what are some of your best / favourite memories from playing the Gen 1 pokemon games, whether they be bad memories, or good memories?​

Last edited:
    Years
  • Battling Brock with Pikachu using nothing but Quick Attacks and spamming Potions was a classic for me. It was a chore to get through, but kid me always felt so accomplished seeing that Onix faint.

Getting through the Safari Zone for the first time in each playthrough. For some reason it was always tedious for me, even though I knew the right way to the golden tooth guy by heart, and because of that I always felt a huge sense of relief and accomplishment once I got through that part of the story. Especially if Chansey or Tauros came home along the way!

overwriting my vaporeon's water move with surf

Years
  • The whole story about how I played Pokémon game for the first time. I was on holidays with my family somewhere on Canary Islands. I met a guy there slightly older that me (I think I was 6-7 at that time) that had Gameboy with Yellow version. He not only let me play, but he even deleted his whole progress so I could start from the start.
    Not knowing anything about the games, I started and right before Brock, I replaced Thunder Shock with Thunder Wave and had only Quick Attack as my damaging move on Pikachu. But I caught female Nidoran and it learn my favourite move - Double KING. Yeah, I misread it and called it Double King for a long time. I then got to Mt. Moon and evolved my newly evolved Nidorina to Nidoqueen. I was so proud on myself back then. Last thing I remember from that playthrough is getting Charmander.

After I returned from that holidays, I got myself Yellow ROM and played through the game with my 1st team ever
    pikachu.png
    nidoqueen.png
    pidgeot.png
    venusaur.png
    blastoise.png
    charizard.png

And then got Red ROM, but I don't remember my team. I only remember that I started with Bulbasaur.

I was playing with walkthrough both times, so I don't think I ever got stucked somewhere.

Zeak6464

Zeak #3205 - Discord
    Years
  • I got my first game when I was 5yrs old , 1998 Pokemon Blue.
    1st stater ever was
    tumblr_m3vduqWTo91rsxn5po1_250.gif

You will always remember your 1st playthough no matter how old you are !

Midnight Umbreon

Life is a conundrum of esoterica
    Years
  • Gen 1, truly a game with many holes, but none the less, a terrific game. Back when they chunked you in to the game, no tutorial or anything. Actually, I remember playing FR first, and found my first shiny in the safari zone. A shiny nodorino. Anyway, great games great gen. Gets a ★★★★★ Rating from me!

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • Ah, there's nothing like a dose of Kanto nostalgia! Way back then, my older brother owned a copy of Blue and he'd sometimes let me play it. I remember getting stuck at every turn (though I was about four!).

I think my strongest memory is of boarding the S.S Anne. ^ ^ It was tough for me at the time. I would keep going back and forth between the cabins to make sure I had been everywhere, but never actually made it off the ship in the end, haha. xD

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Pokemon Yellow for me. I never learned to use Pikachu against Brock until I was much older because I pulled from Red/Blue and used Butterfree instead. I didn't learn until later just how OP Double Team was(especially after I learned about Stat stages and how buggy Gen 1 was). My first team ever was just like in the Anime: Pikachu, Butterfree, Pidgeot, Charizard, Venusaur and Blastoise.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I just remember picking Charmander and ending up with like a level 74 Charizard at the end. I enjoyed Red so much I bought Yellow, Gold, Silver and Crystal too.

Back