• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

great and terrible type combos

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
  • what are some of the best type combinations for battling? how about the worst?

rock/ground, while it is thematically consistent, has always seemed really stupid to me. it doubles a bunch of its own weaknesses, as well as making it weak to itself. lol. Grass/Ice also seems really dumb - it has six weaknesses and one double weakness.

I think Water/Fairy is pretty great! It's got only 3 weaknesses, which is pretty good for a duel type, and it has 6 resistances and one immunity. Way to go Primarina :)

share some more cool/awful type combos!!

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Let's see
    Grass/Psychic have most weakness than other type, top off with quad weakness against bug. Just how would you counter all those types.
    Fairy/Electric very small weakness and immune to dragon gives it a howling boost. Only 2 weakness so far
    Dark/Ghost is most common and yet the typing makes for least resistance and single weakness
    Grass/Fairy don't mix well due to Grass-weakness it's combo for disaster and top it up with quad against poison-type
    Fire and Poison seems interesting it's most fragile against poison and add some few weakness, just beware of rough ground-type

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Grass/Bug and Rock/Ground are the two that come to mind, they can be taken down easily by multiple types. Ice/Rock is pretty frail and it seems that Ice/Bug would be too.

Years
  • Ice-bug is pretty terrible, considering how much of a pivotal role fire type Pokemon or moves play in battling, you may as well just not send a Pokemon with that type combination out.

Years
  • Best Combinations:
    Water/Ground has one weakness
    Dark/Poison has one weakness
    Ghost/Dark has one weakness
    Steel/Bug has one weakness
    Normal/Ghost has one weakness

Worst Combinations:
    Ice/Grass has 7 weaknesses
    Psychic/Grass has 7 weaknesses
    Psychic/Rock has 7 weaknesses
    Grass/Dark has 7 weaknesses

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I've always been conflicted on Grass/Fairy as a type combo ever since Tapu Bulu's introduction. It seems to be an awful defensive typing because you're weak to a gazillion different things but like....what does Fairy even add or help to the Grass typing? Do the types even compliment each other at all? It just confuses me, really.
    That's true, I can't actually think of any ways they could combine usefully, haha.

I think Normal/Fairy might be pretty good? For a dual type, it's only got two weaknesses, and in return for that it gets two resistances and two immunities (: Probably a pretty good typing for defensive/special wall Pokémon? (I don't know the actual terminology for the different roles in battle but I think it's something like that?)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Rock/Ice would be great if they put it on something other than Aurorus

it's like, yeah, let's put 2 fantastic offensive but absloute shit defensive types on a pokemon that's not inclined to the former

like are you fucking serious

TOM The Amazing Tyranitar

"I am the mighty Tyranitar"
    Years
  • Dark/Rock-type Tyranitar with 7 different weaknesses; Fighting is the most effective type of move against it. I really prefer Tyranitar's typing to be Dark/Ground-type instead in my opinion, though.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • Currently, I've been in love with the Ice/Fairy typing. It doesn't have the least type weaknesses, but the typing is so useful because you get your Ice & Fairy type all-in-one and is very effective on many types which makes it a good Pokémon to lead with

The Dark/Fighting type has to be one of the worst typings out there. The typing is a double-edge sword with it seeming very powerful at first but once in battle, it is prone to many types common on the battlefield which is such a hassle.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • The Dark/Fighting type has to be one of the worst typings out there. The typing is a double-edge sword with it seeming very powerful at first but once in battle, it is prone to many types common on the battlefield which is such a hassle.
    Dark/Fighting seems like it would be pretty good on a fast physical sweeper kind of Pokémon, since those are two pretty good offensive typings, but weakness to two of the most common move types - Flying and Fighting - and a double weakness to Fairy, seems to make it really easy to take down : (

At least it's better than Normal/Dark. I don't understand the point that type at all. Getting an immunity to Ghost isn't worth taking quadruple damage from Fighting type moves imo, seeing as the latter seem to be a lot more common in battles.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I love the Ice-type and I really want it to be good but maybe Game Freak just sucks at making good Ice-types?
    I was going to type more, but then realized I've done it before, and so the short answer is: yes, Game Freak sucks at making viable Ice types.

Years
  • Psychic/Rock has 7 weaknesses

Not exactly, because it has 6 - Bug, Dark, Ghost, Ground, Grass and Water.

Looks like you forgot about Psychic resisting Rock's Fighting weakness.

I was going to type more, but then realized I've done it before, and so the short answer is: yes, Game Freak sucks at making viable Ice types.

Agreed. This gen we got Crabominable as our only new Ice-type (I don't count Alolan Forms as new Pokemon here) and while Fighting/Ice looks like a great type for offensive coverage, the problem is it's weak to 6 types and it gets outsped by literally anything (well, except for Munchlax, Shuckle or Pyukumuku) which means it's down before it gets a chance to hit.

Then we also have the example with Aurorus - giving a bad defensive typing to a defensive-oriented Pokemon is definitely what I call a dick move because Game Freak clearly weren't thinking and applied the type only for the sake of the lore and introducing a new type combo.

And then there's Weavile... fast but gets killed by literally anything, especially if it's a Fighting-type.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • I've always been conflicted on Grass/Fairy as a type combo ever since Tapu Bulu's introduction. It seems to be an awful defensive typing because you're weak to a gazillion different things but like....what does Fairy even add or help to the Grass typing? Do the types even compliment each other at all? It just confuses me, really.

Neutralizes the Bug weakness I guess.

Not like Bug/Flying. Oh, Bug types, were you weak to Rock? Here, take another 25% of Stealth Rock while this typing does nothing against types Bug isn't effective against.

Years
  • I always forget the Steel weakness because it's so obscure, okay you win - it is among the worst defensive types.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
  • Fire/Fighting is pretty bad. Weak to common types. And Grass/Flying has a quad weakness to ice. Grass/Poison is pretty good because it resists Grass's most common weakness: Poison.

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2017
    Water/Dragon & Steel/Dragon type combinations are pretty good. They only have 2 weaknesses; however, Steel/Dragon is weak against Ground and Fighting, which are pretty common.

Back