• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Need advice for something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    Hello everyone. Hope your day is going well. Anyway just like the title says I need advice for something. This is something I would never tell anyone else but I trust everyone here so here goes....

At the age of twelve I was diagnosed with epilepsy. Ever since I learned about it my life turned upside down. I lost interest in things I used to do, I became isolated and distant towards other people and have had thoughts of suicide (I have attempted to commit suicide but failed to do it every time).

Other than my family and relatives I have nobody else to turn to for help on what I can do to make myself see things in a different point-of-view. And so I turn to you. What advice (if any) can you give me? I feel completely lost and have given up hope. If anybody can help me I will be in your debt.

Thank you for your time and have a great day.

Psychic

Really and truly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2018
    Please seek help. That is the best thing you can do for yourself. Please Google suicide hotlines in your city, confide in a teacher, mentor, or someone else you trust, and consider telling your doctor and seeking a therapist who can help you through it. You feel alone right now, so please tell someone with the experience and know-how what you are going through so they can help you, and you won't be so alone. Please be kind to yourself, and take care of yourself by doing this. Good luck.

Last edited:

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    @Psychic I will do so. Thanks for the tip.

@Kanzler Please stay on the topic. Not give a random fact that has nothing to do with my first post.

Years
  • Well, my point is that epilepsy didn't stop Caesar from accomplishing great things. I thought you wanted a different point of view? Epilepsy is not the end of your life.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    You were diagnosed with epilepsy, but are you actually being treated? Do you see a doctor regularly about it at all?

Psychic

Really and truly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2018
    Well, my point is that epilepsy didn't stop Caesar from accomplishing great things. I thought you wanted a different point of view? Epilepsy is not the end of your life.
    There was a thread not two weeks ago where the general consensus was that no single thing causes or prevents suicide. I realize you're coming from a place of good intentions and want to provide an alternate point of view, but the sentiment that "you don't actually have it all that bad" is not what people in Kyo Tsukino's position need to hear.

~Psychic

Years
  • There was a thread not two weeks ago where the general consensus was that no single thing causes or prevents suicide. I realize you're coming from a place of good intentions and want to provide an alternate point of view, but the sentiment that "you don't actually have it all that bad" is not what people in Kyo Tsukino's position need to hear.

~Psychic

I don't know why you keep reading what I say in the most pessimistic tone possible. How did you even get "you don't actually have it all that bad" from what I said? What is it this time - just because I bring up a great man with epilepsy, that I must assume that all people with epilepsy are just as privileged? I just wanted to give an example of someone who wasn't destroyed by epilepsy and even went on to do great things. What is wrong with having a role model?

Psychic

Really and truly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2018
    I don't know why you keep reading what I say in the most pessimistic tone possible. How did you even get "you don't actually have it all that bad" from what I said? What is it this time - just because I bring up a great man with epilepsy, that I must assume that all people with epilepsy are just as privileged? I just wanted to give an example of someone who wasn't destroyed by epilepsy and even went on to do great things. What is wrong with having a role model?
    I said "I realize you're coming from a place of good intentions and want to provide an alternate point of view," so I do not think you meant any harm. I also don't know what privilege you're talking about or why that would be relevant. It sounds like you are reading a lot into my posts.

You are clearly trying to be empathetic, however please understand that sentiments such as "X is not the end of your life" don't come across the way we intend them. I found this animation about talking to people in a difficult place to be really helpful, and it suggests a lot of great alternatives I try to use myself. I encourage everyone to take a look.

~Psychic

applemonster

Forum Lurker...
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2016
    I had a good friend diagnosed with epilepsy. She confided in me when we were 15. She felt awkward about wearing the prevention bracelet and often went out of her way to avoid contact with a lot of people.
    That all changed after she decided to make a difference in what she was doing. She started off small. Going out with her youger sisters by shopping or just visiting the parks. Then she took bigger steps visiting the gym and meeting up with other friends. She told me it was a real struggle. Physically and mentally to just step out. I think she was afraid of being judged or something, but I encouraged her to take a chance. You can only attempt something.
    She is amazing now. It may have been 6 years and it wasn't without problems. But try and take little steps.
    If it gets too hard. Please look for help. Confide in a sibling, a friend or even your parents.
    Remember the only person that can truely make you happy is yourself.

Years
  • I said "I realize you're coming from a place of good intentions and want to provide an alternate point of view," so I do not think you meant any harm. I also don't know what privilege you're talking about or why that would be relevant. It sounds like you are reading a lot into my posts.

I'm not, really. It's hard to understand how you read my previous post to mean "you don't actually have it all that bad" and it's unfair for you to characterize it that way.

You are clearly trying to be empathetic, however please understand that sentiments such as "X is not the end of your life" don't come across the way we intend them. I found this animation about talking to people in a difficult place to be really helpful, and it suggests a lot of great alternatives I try to use myself. I encourage everyone to take a look.

~Psychic

If you insist... I really think you're presuming too much. I checked out the video and it's really misleading. Sympathy isn't "at least... blah blah blah", it's compassion, it's caring about somebody else's troubles and the feeling of support.

Years
  • Unfortunately this is not the place to deal with this. None of us here are trained professionals in either neurology or psychology and unfortunately it's a doctor you need to see for your epilepsy and a psychologist you need to see about depression.

Chances are that talking to random people online could result in you receiving some less than helpful advice. Like Psychic said, you should find someone you know that you can confide in - a friend, parent, teacher.

I'm going to close this thread because I don't want to see it spiral out of control or see you receive harmful advice but don't take it personally, like everyone else that has commented I wish you the best and hope you can make some speedy progress. This being said if you just want a friend to talk to, you're welcome to shoot me a PM.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back