• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hey! Listen!

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024

A lot of games either give you the opportunity to recruit companions, or you're stuck with a sidekick whether you like it or not - some are great NPCs, with fun dialogue to break up the silences and duller moments, while some just make you want to push them off a cliff (or whack them with a flyswatter). In general, do you like having companions tag along, or do you prefer exploring alone? What are some of your favorite and least favorite companions?

TY

they're not NPC's, but at this stage they may aswell be NPC's with all the nonsense that happens.

In all seriousness I am more of a person that rather does things on their own than with a NPC to aid you. Maybe that's just cause I never can remember a companion properly enough to either like or hate them

Years
  • I like having companions tagging along with me. They help me with directions, battles, and what I would need to do next. Legend of Zelda, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, and Paper Mario are good examples of games that have companions tagging along with you.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    I never mind companions, even the ones considered "annoying" don't bother me.

My favorite was the dog in Fable 2. I liked it so much that when I had the option to keep my dog or save a bunch of people, I still ended up choosing the dog.

string555

Banned
    Years
  • I've always wanted to trap that damn Navi in a bottle... :P

At least Tatl had an attitude, like even though she helped you, she always seemed to feel like it wasn't worth her time to do so. XD

I'm not even going to go there with Rotom Pokedex, not this time...

But in general, it's cool to have companions with you in those kinds of games. After you've gone through an entire game with them, IDK if it's just me, but I feel some kind of weird attachment to them. If there was a hell of a lot more interaction with them, like almost chat bot style, that would really be something else, IMO. :D

Edit: After thinking about that for just a few more seconds, just take the simple kind of chat bots we already have, throw in voice recognition type code, and fuse that into a game that can use a mic, and there you have it. Playing a single-person game like that would be really epic. :O

Last edited:
    Years
  • I like having companions, when they give useful info and provide good battle support. Favorite would be...I dunno...Elena Fisher. Least favorites: off the bat, Donald Duck and Prompto.

Yukari

It totally depends on how good or bad the companion is. In a lot of games they're either poorly programmed or poorly designed. If they're well made then having companions can really add to the experience.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Cough cough adoring fan cough
    Eh, I don't mind them. If they can die I don't like them because then I gotta protect them, but immortal companions are always good imo :p

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • I find Bethesda games to have some of the weakest companions of any game. Why are they considered one of the top Devs again? Oh yeah, lack of true sandbox RPGs

My favorite companion in any game is actually unofficial. Inigo for Skyrim has to be downloaded from the Workshop or NexusMods, but he has more character and interaction with the player than all of Skyrim's vanilla NPCs combined. Just last week he was questioning my reasoning for carrying around a human heart (that I didn't know I had). His backstory is long and detailed and even has his Parents somewhat fleshed out. He is even smart enough to know if you bring him with you for the Final MQ battle or have him wait at Dragonsreach! The amount of detail put into him is staggering and puts Godd Todd to shame.

Before I downloaded Inigo I normally journeyed alone in TES games. Now I bring him everywhere with me (And actually spend time in Taverns chatting with him!)

Also give a shout out to Niner and Draco companion mods for Fallout New Vegas.

If I have to chose a vanilla companion, it'd probably be Boone from FNV, As I normally play a sniper sort in that game and he (obviously) fits right in with that.

Yukari

I find Bethesda games to have some of the weakest companions of any game. Why are they considered one of the top Devs again? Oh yeah, lack of true sandbox RPGs

because in spite of questionable design choices and being really buggy Bethesda's games usually have a lot of detail and effort put into them.

I said usually.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • I don't mind companions, unless they're the annoying character that exists solely to dispense tutorials such as Professor E. Gadd in Luigis Mansion: Dark Moon.

Thomas the Shinyhunter

There are no game overs. Only continues.
    Years
  • Favourites: Midna, most Pokemon (Not literal trash, or a Pokeball, or a pile of shit sludge), and the partners in the Paper Mario franchise (I'm alright with all of them, not even Kersti pissed me off that much).
    Least Favourites: Navi on any playthrough of OOT that isn't my first, Fi, and Resetti if you count him- OH MY GOD, SHUT THE FUCK UP
    tech-issues.png

Last edited:
    Back