• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pick Your Perfect Starter Trio (Each Starter From Any Generation)

Years
  • Let's play with arranging our own starter Pokémon. Pick any trio of one Grass, one Fire and one Water starter, each one from any generation you want, for your prefect set of starters! Do tell us why you think that trio is interesting. If you have several cool sets, feel free to share them all.

Think of this as: if you had a region, what would your starters be?
    ---
    My first pick would be Turtwig, Torchic and Froakie. I like this trio because:

• they learn Tackle, Scratch and Pound as starting moves, no move repeating itself. This is kind of classic for starter trios (generations 3, 4, 6, 7 and 8)
    • each is from a different generation (so it doesn't look like I just tweaked an existing set)
    • each gets a secondary type by the time they fully evolve (Grass/Ground, Fire/Fighting, Water/Dark)
    • in part thanks to those types, each can beat both of the others in battle (Greninja is weak to Blaziken, Blaziken is weak to Torterra and Torterra is weak to Ice Beam)
    • they have distinctly different battle styles: Torterra is slow, tanky and physically oriented, Blaziken is frail and mixed offensive and Greninja is fast and specially offensive (this is always the case with a region's starters, all the way from slow special Venusaur, fast special Charizard and defensive Blastoise)
    • each is based on an animal from a different class of the animal kingdom: a reptile, a bird and an amphibian
    • Turtwig is strictly quadrupedal, Torchic is strictly bipedal and Froakie can both walk or stand both on all fours and on two legs.

That last part interestingly applies to most regional starters (two legs, four legs, both: Totodile, Chikorita, Cyndaquil; Torchic, Mudkip, Treeko; Piplup, Turtwig, Chimchar; Chespin, Fennekin, Froakie; Rowlet, Litten, Popplio).

I think this would be a very fun and frankly quite powerful set of starters to have. Each of the first stages has a yellow element on them, which helps tie them together visually. Truth be told, Greninja is not the specially offensive one among the Kalos starters (that would be Delphox, Greninja is the fast balanced offensive one), but in comparison with Blaziken and Torterra, it gets this new role. I haven't considered Mega Evolutions or Hidden Abilities here, as only Blaziken has a Mega Evolution and Torterra lacks an incredibly powerful Hidden Ability. I decided to imagine they were in an environment where Mega Evolving isn't allowed and the starter's Hidden Abilities aren't released so that they would all be equally desirable.

You can see that the perfection criteria I used aren't always followed by actual regional starters, I just like things to be very regular.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Rowlet, Torchic, Piplup. Birds are simply the superior choice.

...of course, I'd never evolve any of them.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I'd either do Sceptile, Blaziken, Empoleon OR (for all different generations) Venusaur, Delphox, Feraligatr.

There isn't any big strategy behind my choices they're just my favorites. I've thought about doing something like this for awhile, but never got around to it.

Years
  • I'll go with Snivy, Scorbunny, and Squirtle as my trio. No real reason other than the fact they all start with S (in English at least), and all of them stay monotype through all their evolutions.

SunflowerLady

❤Dog Lover🔆 🥴
    Years
  • Hmmm...Totodile..grookey...my gator my monkey drummer and last is my Cyndaquil..coming in with a blast..I mean I can see it my gator dancing my typolsion on an electric guitar and my little monkey man drumming....Cyndaquil was my favorite fire starter just cause it was sweet and cute and the cry and the cute little flames and he just looked like a little flame ferret...and totodile..being all jaws and big eyeballs and swimming..although he sounds a bit like donald duck....he pretty neat..and grooky...i just think it's nice when he evolved he has drums and a Rillaboom with the best drumming technique can become the leader of its troop. Due to its kind disposition, it values harmony within the group. Rillaboom is very sensitive towards discord that could threaten the group's harmony, so it keeps a strict watch for such actions. Due to its strong sense of unity, it will ferociously defend its allies from trouble. That's my perfect trio. my drummer my blaster and my gator...

Years
  • Another cool set: Snivy, Litten, Piplup. Diverse battle styles, sharing accents of yellow, Pound/Scratch/Tackle, reptile/mammal/bird etc. They have sort of an Indian or Chinese vibe as a trio (the python, the tiger and the emperor).

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • Turtwig, Chimchar, Popplio

Torterra favours Physical Attacks, Primarina favours Special Attacks, and Infernape has equal base stats in both Physical and Special Attacks.

Years
  • Now that Legends: Arceus has introduced its own set of cross-regional starters, how cool is it that we discussed the exact same concept a year ago? I mean, wow!

Now that it's an official, legit thing, how about inventing more of our own intergenerational sets, as a continuation of this old thread?

I have over the last year come up with the cool trio of Grookey, Cyndaquil and Squirtle. I was going for a set that was pure-typed all the way and had similarly simple designs so that (very simple-looking) Typhlosion feels naturally part of it. I think I managed well and that they look good as a group. Additionally, different battle styles: bulky physical Rillaboom, fast special Typhlosion, defensive generalist Blastoise.

Also, they all have cool body-or-accessory gimmicks: Grookey with the stick, Cyndaquil with the fire and Squirtle with withdrawing into its shell. I'd say they look like fun starters, and am very pleased with how well the Grookey line fits together with two so much older starter lines.

Hopefully others are also inspired to try making some!

Years
  • My personal group:

Bulbasaur, Fennekin, and Popplio! Just some really cool ones I absolutely adore. Some interesting coverage with those dual types too. Was thinking of Totodile instead perhaps, but wanted to stick with the dual type theme and Popplio fit just as well to me. I really like these three. The cool, collected Bulbasaur, shy Fennekin, and energetic Popplio could make for a good set.

Years
    • Seen today
    I like too many.

Probably Squirtle, Piplup, and Treeko.

Although that has 2 water types, so if I had to, I would substitute Squirtle for Cyndaquill.

Years
  • Turtwig, Cyndaquil, Mudkip for me. i'm picking out my fave all time per type and if a game came out with these options it'd be a pretty darn hard choice to make...

Lordecoxinha

English might falter
    Years
  • Treecko, Litten and Piplup.

Fire is a real struggle so I'll just say Litten cuz Charmander is overdone and my other all-time favorites are Chimchar and Litten.

Treecko is exchangeable for Chespin, I just like Treecko a tiny bit more.

Piplup is honestly not even an argument. My next favorite is Mudkip, but by quite a difference and also Treecko's there.

Bottom 3 for fun: Chikorita, Scorbunny and Froakie.

Years
  • One set I came up with a long time ago was Rowlet, Fennekin and Oshawott. They fit extremely well together for a fantasy aesthetic: the archer, the wizard, the warrior.

I was thrilled when Legend: Arceus starters almost matched this set! What are the odds?

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2022
    I would just do my favorites, which would be Turtwig, Oshawott, and either litten or scorbunny.

Back