• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Fire Red]: Extending The Number Of Safe Flags And Variables

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
That doesn't mean it works for everyone.

True, but when it works for myself, Linkandzelda and him/her, it does imply that the code is sound, and you are simply messing something up. That said, I have no idea how you could mess it up, especially given that you posted precisely HOW to actually insert the ASM.

Are you sure you're using BPRE 1.0? That's the only thing I can think of which could cause the errors you're getting.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Yep, I'm positive. I know that the sign that it's 1.1 is that "Presents" appears on the opening screen right below the Game Freak logo/symbol, and my game doesn't do that.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Yep, I'm positive. I know that the sign that it's 1.1 is that "Presents" appears on the opening screen right below the Game Freak logo/symbol, and my game doesn't do that.

There are 2 dead giveaways that you're using FR 1.0. The first is indeed the lack of a presents thing on the Game Freak screen. The second is that Pokédex entries with a space in the species descriptor ("Tiny Bird Pokémon" for Pidgey for example) stop with the space, instead of ending when they should (So it would read "Tiny Pokémon" for Pidgey).

I honestly have no idea why this won't work for you, but I can assure you, I tested the code and it works exactly as intended.

You have used the patch for (or otherwise installed) JPAN's save block extension, right?

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
I just tried the Var hack again and The game runs, just you can't move.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Yes, I used the JPAN memory block save patch thing.

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years
True, but when it works for myself, Linkandzelda and him/her, it does imply that the code is sound, and you are simply messing something up. That said, I have no idea how you could mess it up, especially given that you posted precisely HOW to actually insert the ASM.

Are you sure you're using BPRE 1.0? That's the only thing I can think of which could cause the errors you're getting.

Count me in aswell. I initially had problems with the very original Var hack, but the most recent one works 100%. I added it to both a blank rom first, and then my actual hack, which has quite a few routines and things in and it still worked fine.

That being said I haven't tried setting any of the vars yet. But the game runs and I can move fine. I'll update this message once I start setting the vars.

EDIT: I've used vars 5000, 5001 and 5002 setting them to different values up to 0x8 and have experienced NO problems.

EDIT2: One thing I have noticed though. Is that with the Flag Hack, a few of the flags aren't working. In the sense that I give them to NPCs, and after the flags are set the NPCs are still visible. So far I've been using flags from 900-915 and the flags that don't correctly turn off NPCs are
901, 903, 904, 906, 907, 90F, 910. These are the ones I know of. Has anyone else been experiencing problems with setting these newer flags?

EDIT3: With further inspection it seems that the range actually seems to be 900-907

Last edited:

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
EDIT2: One thing I have noticed though. Is that with the Flag Hack, a few of the flags aren't working. In the sense that I give them to NPCs, and after the flags are set the NPCs are still visible. So far I've been using flags from 900-915 and the flags that don't correctly turn off NPCs are
901, 903, 904, 906, 907, 90F, 910. These are the ones I know of. Has anyone else been experiencing problems with setting these newer flags?

Interessant. I can't think of any good reason for this to be the case. Perhaps the flag decrypter isn't used when checking NPC flags? Seems exceedingly unlikely, but possible nonetheless. I shall investigate and see what I can discover.

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years
Interessant. I can't think of any good reason for this to be the case. Perhaps the flag decrypter isn't used when checking NPC flags? Seems exceedingly unlikely, but possible nonetheless. I shall investigate and see what I can discover.

Thanks! To be honest I would blame my scripting first, but I redid scripts which used both hidesprite and setting the relevant flag in the person ID. It would then re-appear after walking away. I'v eeven tried setting it several times in seperate scripts. I also checked the memory viewer at 203C000 and everything was still 00's. If a flag is set should it look any different in the memory viewer? I don't think it's an issue with the patch or the code itself because most of the vars and flags work, and from what I can tell haven't damaged things that were in that range.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 13, 2016
Is there any way to make this work in Pokemon Ruby? Or does this work? I am editing that, and I could really use the extra flags :/ Thanks in advance :)

GoGoJJTech

Years
Is there any way to make this work in Pokemon Ruby? Or does this work? I am editing that, and I could really use the extra flags :/ Thanks in advance :)

Change the offsets in the code and branch and you should be good for Ruby.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 13, 2016
Emm... can I ask how to do that? Because I have no idea... sorry for any inconvenience :/

GoGoJJTech

Years
Just change the offsets in the ASM routine to the offsets of Ruby's save blocks and such.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 13, 2016
Emmm... Could you be a little more specific? I am new to hacking, and, I really have no idea of how to do that... Do I need to know how to use ASM? I am just starting to see how it works, and it seems kinda complicated, even more since I have zero programming knowledge...

GoGoJJTech

Years
Well you do need ASM knowledge, and you may need to change up these routines based on ruby's... But you do need to know the offsets both in the RAM and ROM to port it.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Dec 20, 2022
I hope that it is alright to bring up a fairly old post here. I am wanting to try and port this to Emerald even if I have to do it via trial and error. A simple comparison of bytes with the data from that Fire Red offset does not really do the trick in this case.
All I would like to know, I hope someone can help me here, for testing purposes, would I successfully get a break in VBA's debugger if I set either 'bpw 0203C000 1' or even better 'bpr @offsetofroutine 1' and then set a flag?
How can I know if I have found the right offset or not from testing? I tested my first try without a break, before I proceed I would just like to know if I will even get a break at all.

Years
  • Seen Aug 2, 2015
What is the asm code to force certain names for the main chars? Say I wanted to make Jessie and James the main chars what code would I use to set those default names?

Happy and at peace. :)
Years
Jambo51 or anyone else with the patch, can you please post it. I have literally been searching all day, and cannot find it anywhere. Thanks, and sorry if this is reviving a dead post!

Back