• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Are Your Favourite "Challenge Modes" For Replaying Games?

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2020
    I have been playing pokemon for a good ten, maybe twelve years, and while the first playthrough of new games always gives the best feeling, redoing the game as a challenge is always fun. I want to know what your favourite challenge runs are, and if you recommend anything. This could range from a simple nuzlocke, to a solo run with a lackluster pokemon, or maybe something hardcore like no pokemon center healing.

Years
  • I love a good nuzlocke here and there if I wanna tear my hair apart lmao. Really spices up the games and makes me use mons I'd normally never go for.

Aside from that, I also like delving deep into nuzlocke variants. I remember trying out an N-locke years ago (same rules + after a Gym is beaten you release all your Pokemon then catch another set wherever available for the next gym). Dicelockes are great too for testing your luck (rolling a 6 sided die every time you enter a new route to see what you do; they can range from being able to catch anything you want in that route to outright having to release a Pokemon when you reach the next PokeCenter oof). Games got a lot more interesting but I raged too much though, so these days I'll spare my sanity hahaha.

Years
  • i tried an unevolved challenge run in X with only first stage Pokémon and that was brutal. not sure if i even ended up getting the third gym badge yet haha, it was getting tough earlier than i expected. but still fun!

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Monotypes, of course being from gen 3 onwards bc of variety

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I think I did a monotype once, but generally I don't go for the 'official' challenges (by which I mean all these ones with their own threads). Instead I just try to limit myself - pretty easy as I'm quite weird and obsessive - in a lot of small ways that add up to make it more challenging, such as: only using Pokémon introduced in that region (only really a limitation in Diamond / Pearl tbh); only using Poké Balls introduced in that region and the standard one (great fun in Johto, but only with a lot[/I} of clock manipulation); only using items introduced in that region; and finally - one I won't repeat - forbidding myself from grinding, only battling trainers, which led me to attack Hoenn's Elite Four something like 20 times before my team were tough enough.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I recently lost a nuzlocke at the elite four so that killed my mood with them for a while.

I might try a monotype though.

Back