• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • So, I have a Pokemon with the Pokerus virus. I have spread it to a few of my other Pokemon...

Now what exactly does it do to benefit them? They are already full EV trained, does it do anything?

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2014
    Breeding questions

Ok so I am starting to breed for ivs. I have never done this before and I have read up on a lot of material.

However I am struggling. I have one pokemon with hp and attack ivs and another with defence and speed. I am breeding them together but only getting pokemon with one or two ivs. Do I need to use destiny knot on one of them to get all 4?

My understanding is that eventually I will get a pokemon with 3 ivs without using destiny knot. Then using a battle item I can breed the pokemon to get all 4 ivs. Then using destiny know and battle items eventually get a 5/6 iv pokemon

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    So i'm doing another Ground Monotype (for the Ultimate), and i've made it through Victory Road. Now all I have left is the Pokémon League, and while I know what i'll be doing for most of them, the one that has me really concerned is Siebold, for probably obvious reasons. Are there any good Ground-types that would really help for him? I know there's Quagsire who gets Water Absorb, but even that will only do me so much good. And Stunfisk, but that's weak to Gyarados' Earthquake.

I definitely plan on bringing Mamoswine, Garchomp, Nidoking and Golurk or Krookodile in there. I haven't decided on who I want to leave behind, I also have a few others like Hippowdon and the Steelix that was traded to me in Cyllage City (and thus gains boosted EXP). Any advice? Thanks!

Swampert would definitely make a better choice than Quagsire, in my opinion. It's faster, bulkier, and has better offenses. You should be able to find Swampert on the GTS, so try going there and requesting one. :] If you can't find it, then try looking for either Mudkip or Marshtomp. When you get a hold of them, you could train them up yourself.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • Give one a destiny knot. If you have the nature you want, give that pokemon the everstone. If neither have the nature you want, give one or both the destiny knot( you can get one on that hotel and the other by battle random people in lumiose city). 2 will raise your chance of the desired iv's.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    So, I have a Pokemon with the Pokerus virus. I have spread it to a few of my other Pokemon...

Now what exactly does it do to benefit them? They are already full EV trained, does it do anything?

Pokerus only doubles the amount of EVs you gain from battle, so essentially it's useless if they are already EV trained, well useless except for being able to spread it.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    In GTS when I go through a list of names Meowth has a pokeball next to it instead of a triangle. Why?

It means that Meowth came from a region other than Kalos, i.e. it came via PokeBank (the Japanese did have the Bank for a little bit).

Swampert would definitely make a better choice than Quagsire, in my opinion. It's faster, bulkier, and has better offenses. You should be able to find Swampert on the GTS, so try going there and requesting one. :] If you can't find it, then try looking for either Mudkip or Marshtomp. When you get a hold of them, you could train them up yourself.

Swampert would be the better choice, but IDK if Necrum's rules allow you to use a Pokemon obtained from the GTS/WT, particularly one that is PokeBank-only.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    So I have two questions about the fossils:

1) All fossils are available between X and Y, correct? (a couple are only in X while a couple are only in Y, and when you first go through the game you can only get a couple fossils but after beating the Elite 4 you can go back to Glittering cave and randomly get the others by smashing rocks, right?)

2) is this list of fossils complete?
    Dome Fossil for Kabuto (Y only)
    Helix Fossil for Omanyte (Y Only)
    Old Amber for Aerodactyl
    Claw Fossil for Anorith (X Only)
    Root Fossil for Lileep (X Only)
    Armor Fossil for Shieldon
    Skull Fossil for Cranidos
    Cover Fossil for Tirtouga
    Plume Fossil for Archen

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • So I have two questions about the fossils:

1) All fossils are available between X and Y, correct? (a couple are only in X while a couple are only in Y, and when you first go through the game you can only get a couple fossils but after beating the Elite 4 you can go back to Glittering cave and randomly get the others by smashing rocks, right?)

2) is this list of fossils complete?
    Dome Fossil for Kabuto (Y only)
    Helix Fossil for Omanyte (Y Only)
    Old Amber for Aerodactyl
    Claw Fossil for Anorith (X Only)
    Root Fossil for Lileep (X Only)
    Armor Fossil for Shieldon
    Skull Fossil for Cranidos
    Cover Fossil for Tirtouga
    Plume Fossil for Archen

Yes, and yes. To add, the Kanto fossils (minus Old Amber) are exclusive to Y; the Hoenn fossils are exclusive to X.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    And maybe you could try getting a Phione? Of all the event legendaries, it is the one that was breedable, and IS obtainable on the GTS. I think that would be mildly unfair of them to require Phione this time around... but it is a theory that you can try out.

I have a Phione already. =/

IIRC, the only Pokémon that aren't needed for the Shiny Charm are: Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Diancie, Volcanion, and Hoopa.

Except for Phione, I don't have the others you listed. =/

It could be possible that the person trying to complete the National Dex has simply overlooked one Pokemon that they still need.

I rechecked it far too many times. >.>
    Got all except for the event legends. <.<
    Zzz...

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    If you checked for all the numbers you have, tell us what numbers you DON'T have. Also, are we sure professor Sycamore gives it? Because Serebii only lists Lumiose City, so have you checked around in other locations?

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    Is there any way to control passing down Abilities like there is for IVs and Natures? Or do you just breed them until you get the one you want?

Also, what's considered the best Ability for Alakazam?

Deceit

Toxic.
    Years
  • Is there any way to control passing down Abilities like there is for IVs and Natures? Or do you just breed them until you get the one you want?

The female has a high chance of passing down the ability it has, but I can't remember the exact percentage.

Alakazam should have magic guard, as it is very useful. You won't take damage from weather, entry hazards, or poison and burn (as well as status moves like Leech Seed, although Paralysis and Sleep still work).

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Is there any way to control passing down Abilities like there is for IVs and Natures? Or do you just breed them until you get the one you want?

The female has a high chance of passing down the ability it has, but I can't remember the exact percentage.

Alakazam should have magic guard, as it is very useful. You won't take damage from weather, entry hazards, or poison and burn (as well as status moves like Leech Seed, although Paralysis and Sleep still work).
    Around 60%. Males can also pass down their DW/Hidden abilities, but only if they're paired with Ditto.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Is there any way to control passing down Abilities like there is for IVs and Natures? Or do you just breed them until you get the one you want?

it depends on what abilities you want. Tehre are normal abilities that you can get any pokemon of that species could have a chance of being born with the ability. If it's a Hidden Ability, then you need to find a pokemon with that ability before it can be passed down. Females have a 60% chance of passing down the ability while males are much less UNLESS you breed the male with a ditto, then the chance is higher.

As for what the "best" ability for Alakazam that depends entirely on what you want and people's opinions. Inner focus, to me, is the worst because it only prevents flinching. Synchronize is better as it inflicts your opponent with whatever status ailement was inflicted on it (And couple that with a lum berry which will then heal you of that status) and it's a pretty decent ability. Magic Guard (it's hidden ability) prevents all damage from indirect attacks (weather, damage from burns, poison, curse, leech seed, etc although you can still get the status ailments) although if you plan to mega evolve, ANY of those abilities will then become Trace.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    If you checked for all the numbers you have, tell us what numbers you DON'T have.

Kk, I'll do that after lunch (currently at work atm).

Also, are we sure professor Sycamore gives it? Because Serebii only lists Lumiose City, so have you checked around in other locations?

Huh...
    Good point. o.o

*went to do some research*

Fairy Tale~

Straight Outta Compton
    Years
  • Okay so i beat the team flare boss in the cafe magenta and he told me a key is owned by some professer but who?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Kk, I'll do that after lunch (currently at work atm).

Huh...
    Good point. o.o

*went to do some research*

Howmander said:
    Also, are we sure professor Sycamore gives it? Because Serebii only lists Lumiose City, so have you checked around in other locations?

Actually, Prof.Sycamore does give you the Shiny Charm upon showing him a complete National Dex (checked Bulbapedia; I also looked at some in-game screenshots).

Okay so i beat the team flare boss in the cafe magenta and he told me a key is owned by some professer but who?
    One of the Team Flare scientists has the key (Mable, the one with the blue hair). You'll have to work your way through the labs to get to her.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Actually, Prof.Sycamore does give you the Shiny Charm upon showing him a complete National Dex (checked Bulbapedia; I also looked at some in-game screenshots).

One of the Team Flare scientists has the key (Mable, the one with the blue hair). You'll have to work your way through the labs to get to her.

in game screen shots? I thought you said you knew someone who did it.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014

All my caught Abras and none had Magic Guard, but then I realized I had an Alakazam in my box already that had Magic Guard! It was from a trade! Already bred a female Abra with Modest and Magic Guard...now to do the IV dance.

Deceit

Toxic.
    Years
  • All my caught Abras and none had Magic Guard, but then I realized I had an Alakazam in my box already that had Magic Guard! It was from a trade! Already bred a female Abra with Modest and Magic Guard...now to do the IV dance.

Yeah, you probably knew this, but just for clarification: Magic Guard is the Hidden Ability for it, so if you were catching regular wild Abra, they wouldn't have it. Only Abra caught from the Friend Safari have a chance of having it (You can use the Trace ability to tell).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back