• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Tileset Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZodiacDaGreat

Working on a Mobile System
Years
  • Tileset Manager

For people who may have read LU-HO's tutorial on creating a new tileset, some of you must've asked for a tool. Well, this is basically it, it creates new secondary tilesets as well as the main one(My version - yet to be released).

To use, you have to load your ROM and a tileset - compressed or uncompressed and check the radio button depending on whether or not the tileset is compressed. The you specify the amount of blocks followed by pressing insert :) Below is how you should get the tiles

Uncompressed - Raw dump a tileset with UnLZ.GBA
    Compressed - Insert a tileset into the ROM with UnLZ.GBA then rip it and paste the data in a file.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2022
    Wooo, never expected this. It is an awesome tool and great props to ZodiacDaGreat. He got me started in hacking btw lol

Question, does it insert your palette data also? I mean can you insert new ones with the image or does it have to abide to the rom's pal's?

Full image size:
    Tileset Manager

FOr people having trouble with thumbnail

ZodiacDaGreat

Years
  • Thanks Pal :)
    Um, Nope... Amap should be able to insert palettes for you. Anyway, I thought of something to add ;)

Edit: I'll think of something for the palette function but that depends on whether I'm lazy or not, I think its not neccessary.

Last edited:

AmineX

Music Expert
    Years
  • finally thanks dude for that great job thanks alot

Last edited:

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    This is a very nice tool, ZDG. :)
    Thanks for this and good luck with your projects~

ZodiacDaGreat

Years
  • Thanks Guys :)
    This is the first program I did that works with two files. Any suggestions?

Edit: I added some stuff:
    1.It now enables you to insert major tilesets
    2.The Find Bytes, generates two values for Hex and decimal

Later on, it should also beable to convert the tilesets for you, such as from compressed to uncompress and vice versa.

Last edited:

ZodiacDaGreat

Years
  • megiddo said:
    Sweet. I did the compressed tileset with LU-HO's tut before, but not the uncompressed. Now if I need a huge tileset I won't have to do it.
    Well, the thing is uncompressed tilesets take up more space. It'll be cool if theres a converting function is it, the problem is I need an module for doing that. So, far to get compress tilesets you can insert a tileset into a ROM and copy the contents onto a .raw file or .bin file.

Anyway, it can now support Enlarged ROMs but... it doesn't work XD, Amap as well as VBA cannot read it meaning it can't work enlarged ROMs XD. Too bad. I got it disabled, until I figure how to make the tilesets work on Extended ROMs :P

Last edited:

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
    Years
  • I really love this tool, it's just that I have a prob.
    Well how can we know what the amount of blocks? If we just made it in paint?

ZodiacDaGreat

Years
  • @Cooley - Thanks for your praise. Uhm.. The blocks amount is for the amount of blocks in your tileset in Amap. I'll do something about the tilesets made in paint later.

@Megiddo - What do you mean?

ZodiacDaGreat

Years
  • meggido said:
    Would it be bad to make an uncompressed tileset as they take up a lot more space?
    Actually no, you know the uncompressed tilesets give some advantages as well. Amap used that method in 1.80 - 1.82, once inserted you can edit it with your favorite tool eg. TLP. Right now, I'm looking for something - a custom module to compress an uncompressed tileset. Otherwise you'll have to insert a tileset with UnLZ and copy and paste its contents onto a .raw file or .bin file

AmusedRaccoon

Dilettante
    Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2015
    I was planning to use LU-HO's tutorial so it seems this will save me a bit of time and effort, but how do I get a .bin or .raw file to use with it? The empty tileset attachment in LU-HO's tutorial is a .dmp, and so are all the tilesets I save with A-Map. Is there a way to convert them?

(If I just change the file extension Tileset Manager seems to recognize them, but it tells me they'd take up obscene amounts of space-- it tells me that LU-HO's attachment would take up 2416 bytes, when it should only be 660.)

Thanks a lot for the tool.

ZodiacDaGreat

Years
  • Thanks for choosing to use my tool. Anyway, about the tilesets... Did you read the first post? The released version supports only .raw files(I think), so to get the tilesets - raw dump it from unLZ. The tilesets from Amap are in .dib format which is bitmap so theres no support yet.

Different tilesets take up different amounts of space :P

AmusedRaccoon

Dilettante
    Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2015
    Ah, thanks. I thought that might be the case so I looked through all the images in UnLZ and I managed to find the basic tileset (you know, with the mountain and stuff), so I guess that's good enough. :D

ZodiacDaGreat

Years
  • Finally, after some time of programming, fixing bugs… etc Tileset Manager is perfect and ready to be released, you can find it in the first post, just don't mess with the things you dunno how to use{Therefore read the tut} and remember to backup your ROM.

Have Fun ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back