• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Glaciate: An Arctic World

PastelPhoenix

How did this even happen?
Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    I'm going to have to work on that title

This is an idea I've been throwing around a bit, and want to test the waters before throwing it completely out there, making sure there is both interest and time for it.

So What is it?

To put it in buzz words: This is a post-apocalypse (of the ice variety) Magitek-powered world featuring a (hopefully different) magic system for players.

To back it up and explain it better: The RP is set in Dorene, a typical elves and swords fantasy world where the study of magic has lead to innovations roughly ahead of our own world (trains, tanks, androids, exosuits, and even the occasional mech are all examples of innovations in magic). That is until research went too far, and experiments in contacting other realities lead to accidental contact of the Yog-ganth, a species of magically adept and very hostile beings.

After a long invasion, the majority of the Yog-ganth were repelled, but not before the invaders managed to permanently change the climate of Dorene. Now, a vast majority of the land is frozen beneath a sheet of snow and ice. Civilized life is limited to few cities dotting the land, either buried underground or in one of the ever disappearing pockets of fertile land, or on one of the Grand Convoys, massive train like vehicles housing small villages worth of population. The land between the settlements plagued with beasts, bandits, strange flora, and the remnants of the Yog-ganth. But for those willing to risk their necks, fortune can be found in these desolate stretches of land.

So who are we?

As a player, you take up the role of a member of the Grand Convoy Resilience, traveling from location to location searching for fortune among the traders. More specifically, work is always needed from three organizations hosted on the Grand Convoy. They are as follows:

- Mediators: The only semblance of law enforcement left in Dorene. While much of their day to day job is in solving disputes, Mediators are also the foremost dispensers of justice. Their Wanted Board is both updated regularly and open to the public. If one has the wits and guts for bounty hunting, the Mediators have the money.

- Huntsmen: Beasts are a pain for most of civilized life for two reasons; they tend to infest everything, and have both rare and valuable parts that aren't so easy to obtain. Huntsmen take up the task of both clearing out infestations, and gathering the valuable bits of monsters. They are also willing to buy any beast slain by non-huntsmen. It isn't top dollar, but for most it beats having to break down the corpse themselves and find a buyer.

- The Bygone: An oddity of post-freeze society. The Bygone are an odd religious movement focused on both studying technology of the past, and their eternal cycle of rebirth. Despite how some may feel about them, their attempts to decipher the magic of the past has lead to many improvements on the Grand Fleet. They pay well for any artifact, and desire anything they can learn from, the more unique the better.

Players are mostly assumed to be accepting work from the three groups (although if anyone wants to do something else within reason, why not?). Characters don't have to be intimately tied to a specific group, nor do they have to only work with one.

Gameplay

Gameplay is mostly split between two segments: Stopped and In Travel. (Subject to change based off public opinion).

At a Stop, several sub areas of the city or ruins the Convoy is stopped at open up, each with a healthy amount of beasts, artifacts, and wanted criminals. Players can move around as they please, team up, etc. to attempt to alleviate the towns issues or obtain some unknown relic, and then move on. Some town unique options may also appear, not tied to the organizations.

In travel players are limited to The Resilience, and it's more of a down time for more sandboxy gameplay. Issues are smaller, often in the vein of petty theft, argument, or pest infestations. A few prompts can be given to help spur things along, but travel sections are hopefully going to just be short interludes.

Unless a crisis were to stop the Convoy, in which it is a big event, potentially requiring the entire crew to assist.

Magic

I did mention a magic system, and hopefully that will be one of the things keeping the RP different. Once, long, long before the freeze, people could use magic freely, without the need for tools. Now, people's magic is locked inside of them, and requires both the use of a special tool, their wand, and various magical ingredients to help the magic take shape. The most common wand is in the shape of a gun like object, channeling the magic energy through the shapers and focusing it in a precise way. However, anything large enough to store a spell chamber, palm sized glass tubes with the ingredient shapers for the specific spell, can work; swords, steel rods, boots with large soles, but often at the cost of diminished accuracy. Most gun shaped wands have multiple chambers for multiple spells, as well as some melee weapons, so one can quickly change spells.

Raw magic is just a shockwave of energy that quickly dissipates. In order to form a spell one has to run their magic through various magic ingredients to shape the magic in the desired way, thus the term shapers. Shapers also have the unique property of combining effects, meaning magic run over multiple ingredients is changed by each ingredient in turn. Many fighters invent their own spells, keeping the composition and order of ingredients a secret. Players will be able to create their own spells from the shapers or even add their own shaer, deciding it's effect within reason.

A full list needs to be finalize, but this is roughly what combination would be like.

Cannae Root: Arrow (focused the magic into a bolt of energy that flies forward)

Ironbark: Barrier (creates a translucent shield in front of the caster)

Salamander Flower Petals: Flame (creates a burst of flame)

Corvis Feather: Delay (causes the magic to linger and then trigger a few seconds later)

Cannae Root + Salamander: Fireball

Corvis + Cannae: Delayed Arrow

Cannae + Corvis + Ironbark: Arrow Barrier (flies forward for a set amount of time before changing into a barrier spell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, let me know about any questions. This is a very rough idea that likely need tweaks, and I do acknowledge that. Hopefully this isn't either too lacking nor is it too bogged down, I wanted to make a decent explanation, while also not just making this a Casting thread disguised as an interest check.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I honestly have no real critiques. This looks extremely unique and interesting and very well thought out. I do wonder how much freedom over their spells players have though under your system.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I fell in love with the universe after the first few paragraphs tbh. This sounds extremely interesting to me! The magic system opens up for endless combinations and variations of characters, uses and focus. I've also not seen a completely frozen world version of a post-apocalyptic world before. All in all I think you've got something cool and unique (afaik but I'm not all-knowing) idea here.

when can i sign up

Tigelreaf

Fairy Tail Trash
    Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2017
    This sounds amazing! I have never heard of such a magic system in a roleplay before and I'm really craving to create my own spells! (It kinda reminds me of old alchemy and transmutation circles. The way they are drawn and which symbols you use decide their effect and so on)
    The sotry sounds great as well! How many of the places and locations have you fleshed out yet? Or will you just go along with your players and create them when necessary? :)

PastelPhoenix

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    I do wonder how much freedom over their spells players have though under your system.

Hopefully enough to inspire people to get creative with it. It might be a little more limited compared to some very high magic settings where magic can do pretty much anything, but this system should hopefully be flexible enough to create spells beyond "Bolt of magic with an element attached", I currently have 21 "effects", just waiting to all get fancy ingredient names and a nicer format than just a list off everything, and I do want to encourage creative interpretation of how the effects would interact.

when can i sign up

Hopefully I should get something up soon. The map is done, spell components are getting there, and write ups should just mostly be time consuming. Depending on how this weekend goes, it may be ready for SUs early next week. Hopefully?

How many of the places and locations have you fleshed out yet? Or will you just go along with your players and create them when necessary?
    1.%20smile.gif

I'm adding the all-but-finalized map below, so that should shine some light on a little bit. Right now there are 7 cities, 3 major ruins, and a few areas of interest. I do invite people to create their own towns for backstory and other use, however. With such a small map I only have room for so much to actually mark, and not every location would be that well known (or in the case of other Convoys, be trackable on a map).

Also new locations may pop up due to me just thinking "this would be a cool place to explore" later down the road.

~~~~~~~

Current map is below in spoilers. As always, I'm open to ideas involving the map, and can answer questions about it or the locations.

Spoiler:

PastelPhoenix

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Hopefully one last sourcing of opinions before getting everything complied, stylized, and written for actual play.

I have complied my list of spell ingredients and effects. I am looking for opinions on the current list, and any ideas for additional spell effects players would like to see.

List in spoilers

Spoiler:

And as for the crafting mechanic, I was considering have an initial limit on how many ingredients can be activated at one time. My initial feeling was 3 to start with, and then as the RP progresses more and more ingredient can be added, for even stronger spells. In this system, the Twin and Overload effects would be equivalent to two other ingredients, for potential balancing reasons. Does this sound good or is it too low for the effects as they are?

Last edited:

ジュナイパー

シャドーアローズ? ??トライク!
    Years
  • I love the magic system of this! Also, the idea of a post-apocolyptic, snowy world is pretty unique. Would we be able to create our own spells depending on the materials we gather? For example, by combining Cannae Root and Slamander Flower Petals, could we potentially create a flaming whip spell?

Sign me up!

Tigelreaf

Fairy Tail Trash
    Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2017
    I am so hyped for this roleplay. The balancing as thought through by you seems logical, you could always adjust it later in the roleplay.

Are we allowed to suggest some magical effects?
    Because right now I think of Levitate (making things fly/ levitate, kinda like storm without actually creating winds), Growth (making things grow faster and bigger than usual, often (only) used on living things), Gravity (changing gravity to a special center, lowering gravital force, etc), Light (being a light source, maybe even used in streetlights, purifying unholy artifacts or something similiar)
    I might even think of more when given more time. So when you think more options would be great, just hit me up, if you don't already have enough ideas. (But with this huge setting you probably have enough ideas in your genius brain)

Edit:
    In my hype I overread the passage where you said, we were to suggest any effect ideas. So yeah, I will just need some more time :3

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    Im definitely interested. The whole train thing reminds me of the movie Snowpiercer and FFXV so that's got some pretty good feels for me! The only thing I'm worried about is the magic. I know you said you're open to creativity within the effects, but I think you could just do with more effects in general! It'd be interesting, as well, to explore a dynamic wherein people are once again able to cast magic freely, if it fit into the narrative you have in mind. Perhaps not players, but the evil group or celestial forces or whatever.

Either way, once you get this rolling officially, consider this a reservation for my SU.

Back