• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How Many New Pokemon?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • How many new Pokemon do you think we'll be getting this time? My guess would be anywhere in between fifty to one hundred. Hopefully more than 72 new Pokemon, though, seriously.

pkmin3033

I'd say between 70 and 150, depending upon whether or not this is a brand-new generation or a continuation of Gen VI. More isn't necessarily better, as quality > quantity, but as quality is subjective, it's probably better to have more so you have more chance of liking more of the designs. I'd set 100 as my magic number and hope for that minimum.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Good question!

Going by the fact that gen IV introduced 70 Pokemon, I'm going to guess that the amount will be significantly lower than earlier gens. I'd say between 60 and 80 with the addition of a few new mega evolutions.

Years
  • I don't mind how many new Pokemon get introduced, as long as the designs are good and look like effort was put into them.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Good question!

Going by the fact that gen IV introduced 70 Pokemon, I'm going to guess that the amount will be significantly lower than earlier gens. I'd say between 60 and 80 with the addition of a few new mega evolutions.

Odd gens usually have more than even, so I'm thinking more than Kalos for sure.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I'll like at least 100 New ones with 20 new Megas if they're including Megas into the count, that way it'll be 120, more than Sinnoh's introduced Pokémon.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I'd say 71 at least, because of the leaked listed I've mentioned before, or around 150 at most, since every odd-numbered gen introduces a new set of Pokémon that's either close to or around 150.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I am going with 119 to 129. I don't think we will get less than 100, but I don't think we will get more than 135.

Even with Megas, people really didn't like the insanely low amount we got in XY. Leaving most of us to think that there would be a Gen 6.5. I do not think they will make the mistake of having that low amount anymore.

pkmin3033

I'd really rather they didn't include Mega Evolutions in the count of new Pokemon, since they're not technically new at all...I wouldn't count them, anyway. Yes, they're new designs and they make old Pokemon relevant again (at least sometimes; a lot of Pokemon that got them were already highly relevant from a competitive standpoint) but they're not really NEW Pokemon.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I think we'll get more than X & Y at least.

Consider that each generation the number of Pokemon introduced has been high-low-high-low. 151 -> 100 -> 135 -> 107 -> 156 -> 72.

Also consider that they had a lot of work creating the models for all 721 Pokemon (including forms/formes!) so I imagine they'll have less of a workload in that area this time around.

People assume that the amount of Pokemon that already exist was the reason we got fewer Pokemon (like they're trying to slow down), but I think it's possible the reason was because they were transitioning from 2D to 3D. On top of introducing Megas they probably didn't want to put too much on their plate.

If I had to guess I'd say somewhere between 90 and 120.

More isn't necessarily better, as quality > quantity, but as quality is subjective, it's probably better to have more so you have more chance of liking more of the designs.

This is pretty much my viewpoint on the 5th generation. It's constantly brought up as a reason for quality over quantity but that generation is among my favourites for Pokemon designs so that goes straight over my head.

My three favourite gens for designs/ideas were the 3rd, 5th and 6th gens. Which introduced 135, 156 and 72 Pokemon. So you can see from my viewpoint I wouldn't attach quantity to quality at all.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Why would they confirm the number of new Pokemon at E3?

They've never outright said "there's gonna be X number of new Pokemon!".

I don't remember that ever happening, but I recall when XY was showcased at E3 they revealed Fairy-type and some new Pokemon (iirc it was Flabebe, Noivern, Clauncher, Skrelp, Talonflame, and the Vivillon line). Maybe they might not reveal the total number but showcase a couple of new Pokemon.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • I was hoping they make up for the lack of new Pokemon from Gen VI and introduce us to at least 180 new Pokemon but I think that would be too big for them to design.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I don't remember that ever happening, but I recall when XY was showcased at E3 they revealed Fairy-type and some new Pokemon (iirc it was Flabebe, Noivern, Clauncher, Skrelp, Talonflame, and the Vivillon line). Maybe they might not reveal the total number but showcase a couple of new Pokemon.

Showing off new Pokemon is not the same as telling us how many new Pokemon there will be though.

The overall total will be unknown until people start getting their hands on copies of the game. (assuming what has happened in the past will happen again)

Personally I'm expecting a starter (maybe even mascot legends) reveal trailer before March is over. (E3 my butt)

Years
  • The overall total will be unknown until people start getting their hands on copies of the game. (assuming what has happened in the past will happen again)

This reminds me of when some people bought XY before its release date and started leaking stuff on the internet, such as notable points of the game, new Pokemon that weren't revealed in CoroCoro and a few other things. I could imagine that it'll be heavily cracked down so we may not even know the total until after the game release.

Sirfetch’d

I'm guessing around 60-80 new Pokemon, which could bring us over the 800 total mark. That is crazy to think about really! I wouldn't be surprised if it's a low amount though because we will be getting new Mega Pokemon for sure and that will probably keep the total number of "pokedex mons" down a bit.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    If the leak is true we would get around 60 minimum since the Link was going from like 722 to 790.

Back