• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga 33 People Dead During Kyoto Animation Arson Fire

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • (You can move this if it doesn't belong here)

time.com said:
    Thirty-three people have died and dozens have been left injured after a suspected arson attack in an animation studio in Kyoto, Japan.

A man reportedly shouted "You die!" before setting fire to Kyoto Animation studio on Thursday, local media reports.
    The fire started in the three-story building after the suspect sprayed an unidentified liquid accelerant, Kyoto prefectural police and fire department officials said, according to the Associated Press.

Source: https://time.com/5629400/kyoto-animation-arson-japan/

Pray for Kyoani, guys. This is devastating. No one deserves this. There was 36 people who were also injured, more than half of the employees were hurt or killed. This is awful, and I'm upset hearing something like this happened. I can't link the crowdfund, but there is one if you want to help them heal just look up "Help Kyoani Heal Crowdfund" on Google.

Last edited:
    Years
  • this is absolutely soul-breaking. so many people dedicated their times, strength, and love for these various shows and they're just... gone :(((
    I'm so glad the arsonist is caught.

Years
  • I'd really like to hear more about why the hell he did it. I heard mentions of a "copycat" accusation against KyAni but haven't seen any real verification.
    It's absolutely mind boggling that such a drastic, heartless course of action was taken over what was most likely a very minor thing, and if those claims check out, likely one that was based on a misunderstanding on his part. Fucking horrendous.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Absolutely horrific. My thoughts go to all those impacted by this.

Do we know anything about motive yet? Disgruntled ex-employee?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Do we know anything about motive yet? Disgruntled ex-employee?
    It seems at the moment that police have a suspect identified, and they believe that his motive for the crime is something about how "Kyoto Animation stole/plagiarized a work of his".

But we also have to take this with a grain of salt for now, as said suspect is unconscious in a hospital and so the police haven't had the chance to really interrogate him yet. They'll probably need to investigate things more first.

Emilia

~ free falling
    Years
  • Ever since hearing about this it's been seriously killing me.. Nobody deserves something like this to happen. All I can say is I really hope the guy who did it is locked up for a LONG time.

Emilia

~ free falling
    Years
  • Up to 34 deaths now with others having to have limbs amputated due to their injuries. Tragic.

He'll be hanged.

Hell yeah!

nO I MEAN IT TO HIM BEING HANGED O_O
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hell yeah!

nO I MEAN IT TO HIM BEING HANGED O_O
    Spoiler:

Eh, I think death is just an easy out for people rather than the worst possible punishment.

Any new developments regarding motivs?

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
    Years
  • Eh, I think death is just an easy out for people rather than the worst possible punishment.

Any new developments regarding motivs?

They're still saying that the suspect was angry for the studio stealing their ideas. The suspect has been named and they were known to serve jail time for robbing a convivence store and had threatened a neighbor in the past.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I am still so heartbroken by this. I just learned that KyoAni was one of the very few studios in Japan that paid their artists living wages and didn't demand inhumane hours. I hope they are able to come back even stronger.

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
    Years
  • I am still so heartbroken by this. I just learned that KyoAni was one of the very few studios in Japan that paid their artists living wages and didn't demand inhumane hours. I hope they are able to come back even stronger.

I believe there were talks about demolishing the studio and creating a park with a memorial to the victims in it's place.

Back