• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Worth getting a Switch for this?

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2022
    If you're only going to play it for Pokemon, wait until later this year when a Switch Mini or whatever comes out. With Pokemon and Animal Crossing on the horizon, there's no way they're going to skimp on releasing one to push their 3DS handheld market over to the Switch. But if you're planning on playing more games, or there are other games that spark your interest (the Switch already has a fantastic library of games, with even more coming!), then just fork out the cash for the standard model when you have the money.

Mikachu

Veteren Trainer
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Cali
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Wait to see if the switch price drops or if you happen to use gamestop (no idea what places have Gamestop I'll be honest), save up points and use coupons. Theres also a cheaper version of the switch coming out some point which should be cheaper ^^ to get mine back with LGE I tucked back a bit of money for like 4 months. Some electronics stores also have random promotional sales for the summer months too to take advantage of kids out of school and parents buying things just to give the kid something to do while they're at work xD

Worst case scenario, look around online. Some online retailers have it cheaper than in person stores. Also don't forget to look at used systems. They're generally about 50usd cheaper here in Cali and run just a well as new in my experience ^^

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 14, 2022
    WARNING! People in this thread are spreading misinformation regarding a 'switch mini'. Those rumors are COMPLETELY UNFOUNDED. Nintendo has stated that they don't plan on replacing the switch for seven years. Nintendo has no reason to produce and market a cheaper system while the switch continues to sell.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • WARNING! People in this thread are spreading misinformation regarding a 'switch mini'. Those rumors are COMPLETELY UNFOUNDED. Nintendo has stated that they don't plan on replacing the switch for seven years. Nintendo has no reason to produce and market a cheaper system while the switch continues to sell.
    It goes both ways. They don't want to say they have a new version before it's ready to announce, of course, but that comment is meaning replace the Switch, not be an alternate model to supplement it (see: 3DS, 3DS XL, n3DS, n3DS XL, 2DS...).

But yes, they are just rumours at the moment so don't count on it happening this year.

As for the question, imo yes it is worth it. Great fun device that has made my 3DS just seem meh in comparison, and its game library is already fairly solid (and going to get better!). More options besides Pokemon.

I'll note there could be bundles sold of the switch and Pokemon when it releases too, so that's an option to save a bit of money. No idea on the cost of second hand switches, personally.

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2022
    WARNING! People in this thread are spreading misinformation regarding a 'switch mini'. Those rumors are COMPLETELY UNFOUNDED. Nintendo has stated that they don't plan on replacing the switch for seven years. Nintendo has no reason to produce and market a cheaper system while the switch continues to sell.
    Nintendo have said the Switch wouldn't replace the 3DS or the Wii U, that the Wii U would have unprecedented third party support, and that the 3DS would not see a revision, then had the 3DS XL announced literally 2 weeks later (same thing happened with the DS lite)

What's your point? Companies lie all the time because they don't want to hinder their current sales. Nintendo aren't casually going to drop an "oh yeah we are working on a Switch mini" lol.

Back