• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Worth getting a Switch for this?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    See, I don't have a Switch of my own, and since my bf is a heavy gamer and is going to get Sword or Shield, I'll likely not be able to play anything until he's finished d:

And I do enjoy collecting at least one game from each main generation, as well as remakes. Let's GO is the only batch of "main"-ish games I completely skipped lol.

So... if I'm not a heavy gamer, but love pokemon and these games, do you think it's worth getting a Switch just for that? I kind of got a 3DS just for pokemon games and have gotten a lot of joy from it! And it's likely the Switch will last for a while and see more pokemon games in the future, right?

halp ahah

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    If you like what you see leading up to the games' release, I would say yes. It's also helpful that we know we will get other Pokémon content on the Switch, such as Home. And the Switch will likely have a long lifespan, perhaps even similar to the 3DS, so there is also a good chance we will see other main-series titles on the Switch after Sword/Shield as well.

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2022
    How serious are you and your boyfriend? $300 ain't cheap, and if he's willing to share, you should. The Switch isn't as personalized as the 3DS. It supports multiple users with their own save files.

*june 5 direct happens*
    I amend my statement. Buy a switch and a pro controller and a carrying case and both versions.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
    Switch isn't cheap, particularly if you plan to make it portable or use wireless controllers instead of the joycons(which are also not cheap if you plan to buy more...) but the Let's GO games are a true nostalgic jolt if you played Pokemon Yellow. LGP is basically Pokemon Yellow again but with noticeable differences while LGE is basically a "what if" take on Pokemon Yellow where if you were allowed to take that Pokeball with Eevee inside(your rival would get Pikachu in this case). I tried out Let's GO at a friends house and I would recommend the games, although replay value isn't up there as I see it. Furthermore, it uses Pokemon GO catch mechanics as it completely removes traditional training(battling wild pokemon, exception being Legendary Birds and Mewtwo). The games are best for young children, particularly if you're a parent introducing the franchise to your young ones for the first time. That is not to say its not good for veterans but the difficulty doesn't quite match RBY or FRLG. The Pokeball Plus peripheral makes catching/raising Pokemon on Let's GO far easier and is the only means of getting Mew. Also if you want Meltan in Let's GO, you'd have to transfer it from Pokemon GO(you can't evolve it on Let's GO though so you'd have to transfer over its Evolution if you want it for Pokedex).

Version you get determines your starter in addition to version exclusives, including Alolan variants as well.

Years
    well honestly i bought a switch for let's go but i knew there were other games on there i'd like
    and let's go was just a bit disappointing re-playability wise, which is the best part about the other games
    but yeah these games seem really promising. I guess tomorrow morning will really decide it for people who aren't giant fans like us

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh
    Years
    I'd say it depends on your budget and if you prefer to get one now or wait for a price cut or the strongly hinted smaller version; the price is indeed high and to that you should add that games don't go on sale as much as they do on other consoles, but if you see many games that you'd like to play then it is well spent money; I bought one for Christmas 2017 after seeing that there were many games I liked and basically it got me back into gaming (commuting a lot by train and having just one tv at home made the hybrid nature a huge selling point for me).

If you are just looking for the Pokémon games on it, I also was pretty disappointed with how Let's Go turned out to be and spent my money otherwise, but given that there's no home/portable divide anymore that means that any further game this gen, whether main series or spin-off, will be released on it; add on the Switch's current success and the fact that Game Freak usually tends to release games on a system even after the next one is out (like with B2W2 on the DS or USUM on the 3DS after the 3DS and the Switch respectively were already out) and I'm pretty confident there will be many Pokémon games for Switch in the coming years.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2022
    I built a PC for Skyrim. In the long run, it set me up as a full on PC gamer. I rarely touch consoles. If you really want to play a game, it makes sense to get the system with this said game.

Back in the late 80s/early 90s, we would buy consoles just for Sonic or Mario. These were the mascots marketing used to get the consumer's foot in the door to explore their console. Eventually, Sonic led to Street Fighter, which led to Ecco, which led to Eternal Champions, which led to me become a SEGA Genesis fan lol.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I would say yes. I'm with a few others I bought it for Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee knowing I would play other games and I have bought a few others.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
    I kept seeing Switch going on promotion in Singapore; Not sure if it would be the same for you in your country.
    Maybe they'll come up with a Sword-Shield version of Switch, perhaps you should wait it out a bit longer and decide when it is nearer to the date of release too.

Cid

Years
    100% yes. The 3DS I bought for Pokémon and I loved it. The Switch has a plethora of great games as well. It's definitely going to be worth it. Honestly any Nintendo console is a great buy imo.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    The Direct looked really good and I'm very hopeful for a super unique experience out of these Pokemon games. If you're gonna get jealous of Gav then I would probably just buy a Switch haha. Like you're proooobably gonna binge-play these games, and with the Raids and stuff, you and Gav can theoretically raid together. I'm the type of guy that bought a 3DS just to play Pokemon, and it seems like you're the same. I'd buy the Switch just for Pokemon.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Hmmmgg. You're all making good arguments for getting one. Currently I really don't have the money for it, but come November I'll have saved up enough, for sure :) Maybe the Switch will cost slightly less also... I can't find it for under 300 euro rn and that's a bit steep for me since I'll have to buy the actual game(s) as well.

Thanks for the thoughts ^^

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    as a console, the switch is still young and judging by how long the series spanned on the 3DS, i imagine we've got more pokemon games in the future coming to the switch so if all you want to play is pokemon, i'd say it's still worth it. even more so if you'd like to give LGPE a try (and i recommend that too if you're just looking for a simple and fun time). and who knows, maybe they'll port older games onto the switch eshop (is that what it's called now idk) to give you more of your pokemon fix.

i'd say it's worth the investment, though knowing nintendo, i don't foresee a price drop any time soon. your best bet would possibly be to wait on a bundle deal (i mean they did one for LGPE) that might drop when the games come out, or even wait a little longer and snag one that comes out at the holidays. you've got a good while to save up anyway, so i wouldn't sweat it too hard.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Definitely get it but don't pay full price if you can help it. There's also rumors of a mini-Switch coming out too, so it might be worth it to hold off for that.

I mean, the Switch is here to stay so getting one for future Nintendo releases is something you'll want to do.. but for sure check secondhand markets, refurbished options, bundles, and sales before you lay out the cash for a new one.

Last edited:

User Anon 1848

I was going to bring up the lack of memory for the Switch and possibly having to buy a memory card for it which is pretty pricey iirc but if you're not that much of a gamer then the default memory space should be enough. I'd agree with Fairy when it comes to waiting to see if a Switch-mini is announced first though. You might get more value for your money. I just hope it comes out before Sword and Shield if at all. Nothing more annoying than investing in new hardware only for new models of it to be announced right after you've spent your money.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Definitely get it but don't pay full price if you can help it. There's also rumors of a mini-Switch coming out too, so it might be worth it to hold off for that.

I mean, the Switch is here to stay so getting one for future Nintendo releases is something you'll want to do.. but for sure check secondhand markets, refurbished options, bundles, and sales before you lay out the cash for a new one.
    Oh right, I could definitely look for one secondhand tbh! Thanks for the idea.

Or look into the min-Switch. I'm not in a hurry before these games release, after all haha.

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh
    Years
    I was going to bring up the lack of memory for the Switch and possibly having to buy a memory card for it which is pretty pricey iirc but if you're not that much of a gamer then the default memory space should be enough.

The storage space is also a non-issue if you mostly buy physical games; a very good thing about the Switch is that it does not force you to install games and aside from a few titles all physical games don't require additional download (aside for fixing patches, or DLC if you want it). Add to that the thing that Switch game file sizes are more compressed than on other consoles, and anyway microSD cards are quite often on sale so that if you happen to need one you could just look for deals and it's likely you'll find a good one for a reasonable price.

User Anon 1848

The storage space is also a non-issue if you mostly buy physical games; a very good thing about the Switch is that it does not force you to install games and aside from a few titles all physical games don't require additional download (aside for fixing patches, or DLC if you want it). Add to that the thing that Switch game file sizes are more compressed than on other consoles, and anyway microSD cards are quite often on sale so that if you happen to need one you could just look for deals and it's likely you'll find a good one for a reasonable price.

Neat. I switched over to digital downloads after buying a PS4 because I didn't want to worry about keeping discs in good condition anymore but that's still good to know.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I personally have always bought my game systems for Pokemon games, and other games that happen to come out that I enjoy - awesome!

They're just a plus, though. To me, Pokemon is usually worth owning a game system, but I guess I also just enjoy the games enough for that.

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2019
    I'm hoping that a new version of the Switch, either Mini or Pro (or both!) releases as a special edition bundled set with this game. If not, I may wait a year for the inevitable third version when this will very likely happen.

Although, I'm so hyped right now I hope they just release it this autumn!

Back