• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A way too early thread on the Sword and Shield metagame

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    Earlier today Nintendo and Gamefreak announced the 8th generation of Pokemon games, Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield. Naturally, that means we get a new competitive landscape along with the new games.

What are some things you're hoping to see in the Sword and Shield meta? Any predictions on what gameplay features (megas, Z-Moves etc.) will return?

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2022
    I feel like they should keep Z-Moves in the game, but don't focus on adding more, I'd prefer new megas. Or just new evolutions in general

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    just that we get a good meta this time

I'm not gonna hold my breath thy

Years
  • just that we get a good meta this time

I'm not gonna hold my breath thy

I don't see what was particular bad with six or seven. Both were dramatically improved metas over gen 5.

Personally, I'm hoping that we see the trend continued of a more versatile meta. In gen 7 it felt like the meta changed a lot more frequently than in the past and that there were more viable options available to use.

It'd be nice to see more mon that work well because of useful niche abilities and moves though.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Id love if they just got back to basics and stopped trying to outpower creep the previous gen i,e gen 5 gave us excadrill, haxorus and pals with base 1235654 attack etc, then in gen 6 we got megas with even more insane stats, now we've got z moves to make shit even more powerful. Like just restart as if nothing existed before it and blocked backwards trade capability (see: gen 1+2 --- > gen 3 esque. A brand new fresh metagame without past gen influences. 1000 mons is too many, too many op fluff mechanics (z-rings, megas etc), too convoluted and 6 slots isnt enough for all of this tbh.

Last edited:

5qwerty

[b][font="open sans"]WHOLLY MOLEY[/font][/b]
    Years
    • Seen today
    What I'm hoping to see and what I'll likely see are so different. I agree with DA in the sense that I also wish they would stop trying to outdo the previous generation. Hopefully we get some genuinely cool but not gamebreaking Abilities - stuff like Corrosion and Berserk were pretty cool.

In reality, we're probably gonna get some overpowered crap like holding 2 items at once cuz sword and shield (duh) and the child of Toxapex and Tentacruel. Though maybe since the region is based on Europe like Kalos we could get some new Megas.

Back