• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Proposal: TCG Deck Analysis - Yanmega

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
I got bored so I started writing this anyway, so you best not deny it :P

This SERIES will be used to share about some of my favorite TCG deck concepts (we call them archetypes), starting with my current TCGO deck and the deck used by the Senior world champion, Yanmega. This allows me to give readers suggestions for what to include in decks rather than just giving them a 60-card list and telling the reader to use it. It will be structured thusly:

Intro - A lot like my Pokemon Analysis series intros
How to -Deck- in X Words or Less - Exactly what it sounds like. -Deck- will be replacd by the deck in question, X will be the word count of the section (usually less than 50). Or Less is added for redundancy.
Profile - Basic info about the deck concept, possibly including a pros-cons section
Skeleton - An Outline of the required elements of the deck, with a number of spots left open for reader creativity
Pokemon - What the Pokemon in the Skeleton do and why they are there.
Trainers & Energy - See Pokemon.
Possible Techs - Suggestions for other good cards to include in the deck.
Weaknesses - What things greatly annoy the deck and how to combat them.

I will be writing this with the target audience of a casual TCG player hoping to start in tournaments rather than someone who has never seen a Pokemon card. A link to a "how to TCG" article/video will be included for the second group however, be it something official or something by a PCer. Ok, that's it.

IDEAS: Give each article a cheesy name. Free Flyin' would probably be the one for this, as the concept of Yanmega is that you can attack for free and Yanmega flies.

Years
Please do.
I think increasing TCG info will be great for the section on PC and for those of us new to the game (like me lol).

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Seems fine to me! Couple small questions/comments first.
starting with my current TCGO deck and the deck used by the Senior world champion, Yanmega.
May be worth in this case linking to one of their battles if any exist (TCG Final maybe?) using this deck at the end of the article.
I will be writing this with the target audience of a casual TCG player hoping to start in tournaments rather than someone who has never seen a Pokemon card. A link to a "how to TCG" article/video will be included for the second group however, be it something official or something by a PCer. Ok, that's it.
Are there any guides like that existing on PC? We can always consider article-fying them.
IDEAS: Give each article a cheesy name. Free Flyin' would probably be the one for this, as the concept of Yanmega is that you can attack for free and Yanmega flies.
Fine with this as long as there's a common name to it too (e.g. "TCG Deck Analysis: Free Flyin'").

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
Kinda is something but not really a proper how-to guide to actually start playing the TCG:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=275378

Well THAT's not out of date or anything... Gyarados SF? That was when I played the TCG in tournaments...

Maybe I should make a new one. Actually lets do that.

The question then is should I make that a thread in the TCG section, a Daily article, or all of the above? For now, I'm going with all of the above, so I'll post it on the Daily and then brutally force ask Don to sticky it in the TCG section. Proposing that shortly.

Yanmega is on HOLD
until further notice. Pinging BobandBill to make him aware of this fact.

Years
Well THAT's not out of date or anything... Gyarados SF? That was when I played the TCG in tournaments...

Maybe I should make a new one. Actually lets do that.

The question then is should I make that a thread in the TCG section, a Daily article, or all of the above? For now, I'm going with all of the above, so I'll post it on the Daily and then brutally force ask Don to sticky it in the TCG section. Proposing that shortly.

Yanmega is on HOLD
until further notice. Pinging BobandBill to make him aware of this fact.

A lot of the basic framework ideas do still apply, even if the cards used are very dated. One of the reasons I haven't really considered writing a new one a priority.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
A lot of the basic framework ideas do still apply, even if the cards used are very dated. One of the reasons I haven't really considered writing a new one a priority.

The issue I have with it is simply that it requires a bit of understanding of the game to read properly. I still can't find a good complete basic level tutorial, so I'm writing one.

Years
The issue I have with it is simply that it requires a bit of understanding of the game to read properly. I still can't find a good complete basic level tutorial, so I'm writing one.

That is definitely true.

I'm really not even sure any site actually has a basic tutorial that is that complete, especially since TPCI moved part of theirs inside of the TCGO.

Much appreciated that you are writing one.

Back