• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Netbooks

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
Years
  • 2000th post! Why not make a new thread? Anyways...

Today I was watching a video which was a rewiew of a small Android Netbook, and that got me thinking of when Netbooks were a thing and you could find them everywhere in tech stores, now you can't find them anymore brand new and not surprisingly: most of them had an Intel Atom processor inside them paired with 1 or 2 gigabytes of RAM at best (sometimes even less memory) and Windows XP Home Edition or Windows 7 Starter as operating system.

I had 2 of them, an Acer Aspire ONE D255 and a Samsung N150.
    Both of them weren't bad as soon as I got them and they had an okay speed for how small they were, especially the Samsung one which used to turn on in 30-40 seconds, but after a bit of installing programs and storing data on them, things got slow quickly, their hardware was too weak to handle some applications, reason why we don't see them on the market anymore.
    Also, in Netbooks that had Windows 7 Starter preinstalled you couldn't even change the background of the desktop, you had to use a third party tool to do that and I remember that I was very upset when I found out.
    They were okay for browsing the web or Skype calls though, their battery life wasn't bad too.

So, do you remember that era in technology? Did you have one of those? If yes, how would you describe your experience? :)

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • Netbooks are absolutely in every interpretation and way possible completely useless. Chromebooks were a little better because you could actually open a browser without it taking half your life.

We had them at my school and they were BEYOND awful. It was a trap for schools and businesses that only look at a pricetag. "Oh, 200 bucks per unit compaired to 500? I'll take 72!" News flash, there is a REASON things are cheap, and it's not good will from a company!

Easily one of the worst tech inventions of the 2000s

Years
  • Netbooks are complete shit. They were supposed to be portable laptops that you could use anywhere and take with you easily without carrying a lot of weight. However, the specs built into them were hideous.

Exothermic

Keeper of the Hammer
    Years
  • Netbooks aren't good at all, and the fact that we don't see them much in stores is perhaps the best evidence of that.

In fact, I sometimes wonder why netbooks were created in the first place and who their target users are.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • I only remember having bad times with netbooks - slow mini laptops which were used in secondary school.

They were ahead of their time when tablets were still relatively new and could have been a viable alternative to them. Unfortunately, low processing power and keyboard size were my main issues I had with using them.

I believe tablets have replaced the netbooks because of their improved performance and with apps making things easier to do on a touch screen interface there's not really any need for netbooks if you're long for a small computer.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • Netbooks suck. I had Asus Eeepc, it was one of those netbooks that had Linux (Xandros) instead of Windows. Xandros weren't very good so I replaced it with Ubuntu Netbook remix and then it worked more or less fine.

I wonder why netbook manufacturers replaced Linux with Windows because low processing power and Windows is bad combination.

Back